Would the Enuff make a good backpacking blade??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Enuff good backpacking blade?

Yes it would!
86%
Maybe.
9%
No it wouldn't
6%

Total votes: 35

Knivesinedc

Would the Enuff make a good backpacking blade??

Post by Knivesinedc »

Just wondering what your opinion would be?? IMO I think it would be great cause its light, compact and looks relatively strong.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I don't have one, but I have an Izula, which is perfect for backpacking. I think the Enuff is a stellar choice.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

I'd love the H1 as a camping knife and paired with my GB or something similar.
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

Given the choice between the Enuff and pretty much anything else, I'm gonna take the Enuff. It's VG-10/H-1, comes in any shape you like, and it's light. Perfect backpacking knife, IMO.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Depends I guess if it is indeed large enuff for what you need it to do because it is quite a small knife. I love all the blade shape choice and VG10 is great steel, unless you use it in the wet a lot then H1 is the ticket.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

It's pretty much perfect.

Gordon
Holland

Post by Holland »

id say it would work great, for that size of knife i think i would buy Izula though
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

It wouldn't be large enough to be classified into what most consider a typical "camp knife" but all in all I'd say it is absolutely perfect for backpacking. Very lightweight (similar to that of a folder of comparable size), takes a nice edge and holds it well while resisting rust like a champ, and the bomb-proof construction of a fixed blade. What's not to love.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Depends on your camping philosophy. I carried a SAK and it was fine, enuff will work too. It just depends what you want to do with it. A dragonfly will work also.
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Skidoosh wrote:Depends on your camping philosophy. I carried a SAK and it was fine, enuff will work too. It just depends what you want to do with it. A dragonfly will work also.
I think this is really accurate. My first Spyderco was a Ladybug I bought specifically for long distance backpacking, the philosophy I was trying to delve into was ultralight backpacking. I don't do this anymore and I'd honestly like to have something big but still weight efficient now, like an Endura. A zdp endura would be less likely to need sharpening after weeks of use.
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

a little too much for ultra light backpacking. a decent size, if a bit too thick, for average camping/hiking/backpacking.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

This depends on how "outdoorsy" your backpacking is. If its taking sandwiches up a well hiked trail for a view, and coming back down, then yeah its wonderful because its slim, light. That said they are extremely expensive for a small (sub 3 inch) fixed blade with no "I dare you to break it" warranty even. (MSRP of 180$, street price of ~110$) In that role, to be perfectly frank, I'd take an ESEE Izula or Scrapyard Knife Works Scrapivore because they'll cost about half the price, and are warrantied against just about any sort of damage you can do to them should a situation requiring you to beat on them a bit arise. Of course along the lines of Spyderco recommendations, their folders of comparable or even larger size, are actually less expensive than their fixed blades, so depending on what you want you should be able to find satisfaction there as well for a light knife.

If, however, you're going on serious backpacking trips where a minor incident could put you in a serious survival situation you should be looking for a much more serious knife than the Enuff. At sub 3 inches, its too small to really do many survival tasks easily, and its not built to be super rugged. Spyderco, as a brand, doesn't really believe in super hard use. Thats not a big issue, their knives cut very well as a result, but it does mean its not where I typically turn for hard use survival knives.

You could, if you believe in the small knife survival philosophy, press a pair of Moras into service. For that role though honestly I'd just pay the extra $$$ for an ESEE4, SYKCO 511, or larger if you know how to handle it.

I know its not the glowing endorsement of Spyderco we would all like to see, and there are a variety of techniques for making do with smaller or less durable knives outdoors, but it is what it is I guess.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

hunterseeker5 wrote:This depends on how "outdoorsy" your backpacking is. If its taking sandwiches up a well hiked trail for a view, and coming back down, then yeah its wonderful because its slim, light. That said they are extremely expensive for a small (sub 3 inch) fixed blade with no "I dare you to break it" warranty even. (MSRP of 180$, street price of ~110$) In that role, to be perfectly frank, I'd take an ESEE Izula or Scrapyard Knife Works Scrapivore because they'll cost about half the price, and are warrantied against just about any sort of damage you can do to them should a situation requiring you to beat on them a bit arise. Of course along the lines of Spyderco recommendations, their folders of comparable or even larger size, are actually less expensive than their fixed blades, so depending on what you want you should be able to find satisfaction there as well for a light knife.

If, however, you're going on serious backpacking trips where a minor incident could put you in a serious survival situation you should be looking for a much more serious knife than the Enuff. At sub 3 inches, its too small to really do many survival tasks easily, and its not built to be super rugged. Spyderco, as a brand, doesn't really believe in super hard use. Thats not a big issue, their knives cut very well as a result, but it does mean its not where I typically turn for hard use survival knives.

You could, if you believe in the small knife survival philosophy, press a pair of Moras into service. For that role though honestly I'd just pay the extra $$$ for an ESEE4, SYKCO 511, or larger if you know how to handle it.

I know its not the glowing endorsement of Spyderco we would all like to see, and there are a variety of techniques for making do with smaller or less durable knives outdoors, but it is what it is I guess.
In reply to the first section of your post, I actually go and take my tent, sleeping bag, food, and everything else I might need and strap it on to a Kelty backpack and hike several miles in to wherever I am going. I have a budget of roughly $115 for a good, lightweight fixed blade and at $110 the Enuff was a good fit. still kinda iffy on the size, but it looks sturdy enough. I would probably go for the SE Sheepfoot blade because I am an SE addict, but I would be willing to try PE if anyone thinks one of the PE Enuff's would suit the job better. -Jake-
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Well, given that budget and mandate, I'd still tell you to get an ESEE 4. It'll do everything you need to do, it'll cost you about 100$, and it comes with the usual multi-position sheath and dodads ESEEs come with. You can also get them in serrated edges, although I prefer PE myself. Even a Moran or Perrin would serve you better than an Enuff, and at a lower price.

Actually that street bowie might not be half bad. That choil and steel choice will weaken it, so it won't be a beater, but its got a nice blade profile and knowing Spyderco a good HT. Food for thought. I'm sorry, but I just don't think a 2.75" knife is a good choice for primary outdoors knife.

Of course you probably won't listen to me, because you have your heart set on an SE Enuff. *shrug*
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The H1 Enuff has a rescue tip that I would never take camping. If the leaf or trailing point came in H1 then sure. I would recommend you finding one of the Mules in say k390 or some other awesome steel before the Enuff.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

hunterseeker5 wrote:Well, given that budget and mandate, I'd still tell you to get an ESEE 4. It'll do everything you need to do, it'll cost you about 100$, and it comes with the usual multi-position sheath and dodads ESEEs come with. You can also get them in serrated edges, although I prefer PE myself. Even a Moran or Perrin would serve you better than an Enuff, and at a lower price.

Actually that street bowie might not be half bad. That choil and steel choice will weaken it, so it won't be a beater, but its got a nice blade profile and knowing Spyderco a good HT. Food for thought. I'm sorry, but I just don't think a 2.75" knife is a good choice for primary outdoors knife.

Of course you probably won't listen to me, because you have your heart set on an SE Enuff. *shrug*
Agree with this on the Esee 4. Only thing I would add is don't buy a new one. I bought a new old model ( RC-4) for 80 bucks on another forum. Carries the same warranty as the new ones.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

What chores or work do you envision doing with this knife? As was mentioned a mule is great or a Moran. Don't rule out an endura as a solid performer too. I'd love to see a spyder -saw but I just use fallen wood for fires.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think I'd rather have a Moran, which is cheaper anyway.

If cost isn't an issue, I'd take my South Fork. My Bark River Gunny in 3V would be one of my top choices too, but I don't think I'm ever going to find something that matches the South Fork for all around usefulness. Maybe I'll have to go buy an Izula and check that out though...
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

Well, ****, test the name.
Kinda the point, right?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'll recommend what I carry. A serrated Pacific Salt. It's rust proof and lightweight. And it gives me some "teeth" just in case. If you hike far enough, every ounce matters. If not, I'd carry a bigger knife. I used to always carry a chopper because they put a smile on my face. Then I started going on longer trips.