More Spydies with the wave feature?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Popsickle

More Spydies with the wave feature?

Post by Popsickle »

What do y'all think about more spyderco folders using the wave feature? I have tried Emerson's an I just can't get into them, where as an endura/delica wave is a wonderful knife at its price point. Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part as I really enjoy my matriarch 2 wave, I'm just curious as to what others think.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Popsickle wrote:What do y'all think about more spyderco folders using the wave feature? I have tried Emerson's an I just can't get into them, where as an endura/delica wave is a wonderful knife at its price point. Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part as I really enjoy my matriarch 2 wave, I'm just curious as to what others think.
That new Emerson you get not work for you?

Personally, I dont care for the wave :/
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

razorsharp wrote:That new Emerson you get not work for you?

Personally, I dont care for the wave :/
Side by side comparison of materials used vs how much is crazy.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not for me, thanks. They ruin the look of any blade, scream "WEAPON!!!", and don't work well with loose pocket carry.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I like the idea of a wave, and have a waved endura & delica and a trainer model of each, but I find the success of using it depends on the fit and type of pants I am wearing. And while I am at work, the only knife I have clipped is my CF Caly 3.5 in-waistband where it is not visible (and the wave feature would be useless), my other knives I always have down in my pockets to not attract attention. I only have them clipped to my pocket when I'm not at work.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I never carried waved knife, but thinking about getting waved Endura for a long time. I would like to see waved Para, Military and M2 LW
Popsickle wrote: I really enjoy my matriarch 2 wave
What do you use matriarch for, except SD?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Holland

Post by Holland »

The Deacon wrote:Not for me, thanks. They ruin the look of any blade, scream "WEAPON!!!", and don't work well with loose pocket carry.
I'm also not a fan of the meaning behind it
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The wave on my endura is a pretty good beer top opener. Too bad I'm a teetotaler now. :)
Rider675

Post by Rider675 »

Can't get your thumb on top the blade with a wave. They are fastest for sure, I never had a problem with zip ties though.
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

Can someone please post a photo of what this 'wave' design entails???

I'm in the dark.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

wolfgaze wrote:Can someone please post a photo of what this 'wave' design entails???

I'm in the dark.
Sure, here's a photo of a waved Delica. IIRC, this was Spyderco's first use of the Emerson "wave" opener.

And here's a link to the catalog page of what is probably the latest, the waved Matriarch II.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
shu

Post by shu »

I love my waved spydies... I carry tip down (which I suppose defeats the intended purpose) but they do make a great bottle opener!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm gonna have to pass. I appreciate the sometimes usefulness of it, it's not just handy for weapon use, but I hate the looks of it and on a lot of knives you would have to really change the shape of the spine to incorporate one.II've also found that zip ties are significantly more reliable, but they do get in the way of deep slices.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Barkdog

Post by Barkdog »

Evil D wrote:I'm gonna have to pass. I appreciate the sometimes usefulness of it, it's not just handy for weapon use, but I hate the looks of it and on a lot of knives you would have to really change the shape of the spine to incorporate one.II've also found that zip ties are significantly more reliable, but they do get in the way of deep slices.
COMPLETELY agree with all points - & thank you for mentioning the looks! It sure changes the appearance... & not for the better. That said: (1) I found a Delica 4 (waved) for my stepson on a fire sale, he loves it, (2) I tried it and thought "wow, wish it was mine" and (3) I'd seriously consider buying a waved Endura (or Military, if they'd make 'em!) for myself. To me it makes more sense to have the wave on a larger blade, the kind a soldier might be more likely to carry for defense purposes.