Original Laci Szabo discontinued

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Original Laci Szabo discontinued

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I was reading my Spyderco Byte email and it said that the 2012 model is now discontinued and that the black blade version with the black cubic carbon fiber/G10 will be the new standard model.

So grab that lightning strike version while you still can.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Man, I wanna like this model so bad because of the modified compression lock, but that thing is just not for me. Not my style of knife at all. I really hope the lock improvements make their way to the next generation of compression lock knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I like it save the fact it is HUGE. I am not sure, but this could be the largest folder Spyderco ever made? Could not carry it so not practical for me, but cool no doubt
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Largest folder I think is the Catcherman don't quote me tho
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
Invective

Post by Invective »

BadFish wrote:Largest folder I think is the Catcherman don't quote me tho
Longest blade on a folder is from the SpyderSaw, longest overall length is on the Divers Probe, although the longest technical knife is the Catcherman, which also boasts the thinnest blade, not including the Bug, which is .05mm thinner and noticeably shorter.

More on topic, I picked up a Szabo for under $170 shipped (gotta love CS's coupon codes!) today since if it's being discontinued, I'd rather pick up one of these over the blackout version. Plus the LSCF looks infinitely cooler than the glass-fiber.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I think "noticeably shorter" is an understatement :)
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Invective

Post by Invective »

Think "and the Bug could fit inside the Spydiehole of the Szabo" sounds better :D ?
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

I love the blade shape and I've said it before the LS cf was just too thin to work well aesthetically .
But that said the black doesn't do it for me , hope ill get one before they go as its unique enough to have a place amongst my collection of spyderco.
Just wish we were allowed the balisong Szabo the anodised one is tidy .
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I think the all black is fairly awesome, but I probably won't be buying it in the foreseeable future. It would involve admitting that I was buying knives just to have them, which would be like "collecting knives" which I can't afford to do. I'm not "collecting" them now. I'm just buying some knives... right? right?
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I like the appearance of both versions but seems too big to get any carry time. I'll have to think hard on whether I should pick an original up.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

twinboysdad wrote:I like it save the fact it is HUGE.
Yep, me too. If it were smaller I'd get one.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

If the Szabo ever goes on sale at some stores at 35% off, as a few discoed Spydercos have done, it would be hard to resist at around $110.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

DougC-3 wrote:I think the all black is fairly awesome, but I probably won't be buying it in the foreseeable future. It would involve admitting that I was buying knives just to have them, which would be like "collecting knives" which I can't afford to do. I'm not "collecting" them now. I'm just buying some knives... right? right?
If you get to where you have too many knives to actually "use" them all, then you can just resort to "fondling" them :) .

I love my Szabo, and am very glad that Texas allows blades up to 5.5"! (Note that the correct blade length of the Szabo is 4.6", although the Byte Magazine's description of the blade still has a typo and calls it 5.85".) I like mine enough that I went ahead and ordered one of the new all-black versions from CS since they had them at something like 60% off MSRP instead of their normal 44% off. But if the original "Lightning strike CF" version ever winds up on clearance at Sierra TP, I may have to pick up another as a spare :) . I *LOVE* that version of the CF - beautiful, and comfortable to grip.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

rodloos wrote:If you get to where you have too many knives to actually "use" them all, then you can just resort to "fondling" them :) .

I love my Szabo, and am very glad that Texas allows blades up to 5.5"! (Note that the correct blade length of the Szabo is 4.6", although the Byte Magazine's description of the blade still has a typo and calls it 5.85".) I like mine enough that I went ahead and ordered one of the new all-black versions from CS since they had them at something like 60% off MSRP instead of their normal 44% off. But if the original "Lightning strike CF" version ever winds up on clearance at Sierra TP, I may have to pick up another as a spare :) . I *LOVE* that version of the CF - beautiful, and comfortable to grip.
The city's size limit where I live is 4" but I haven't heard of it being inforced. I would probably leave it home most of the time anyway :)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

One of the very few advantages (where knives are concerned) of living in Canada is that there is no blade length limits anywhere. You can walk down the street with a katana on your back if you so wished. The police will stop you and ask what the **** is going on, but its legal.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The gold lightning strike Szabo can be had already for $158.98 from Tactical Wholesalers I see, and their S&H to my place is only about $3. For some reason their search engine won't find it if you include "laci" or "sypderco," but a search for Szabo gets it. However, a search for "spyderco" at the site turns up some very interesting things, including BRG ZDP Stretch for $100.68 (a steal), several Assist knives, whale rescue blade for $95, and Centofante Memory for $185.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was under the impression that the Whale Rescue was not for sale to the general public. That's one for the collectors.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Invective

Post by Invective »

Evil D wrote:I was under the impression that the Whale Rescue was not for sale to the general public. That's one for the collectors.
It's been available from a lot of knife dealers lately, so it seems that it is available to the general public now.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Evil D wrote:I was under the impression that the Whale Rescue was not for sale to the general public. That's one for the collectors.
I'd assumed anybody could buy one. TW let me put one in my cart. If I could afford it, I'd buy one just to show my support to Spyderco for making them and donate it to one of our Gulf Coast marine biology labs.
endgame

Post by endgame »

I have to get the black to complete my Szabo collection.I like the lightning strike butall that black on that monster smooth and mean smoothass opening black one is just like the devil I love it.my regular Szabo folder opens and closes so smooth it's is the coolest knife I own .but I can't carry it around.the black one should be in a horror movie it sure would be memorable.Freddie or Jason Szabo.