Terminology question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bill S.

Terminology question

Post by Bill S. »

What is it called when the knife retracts the blade into the handle when you pull out the blade about 1/8-1/4 inch or so? The thing that keeps it from accidentally opening in your pocket?

I just got a new knife today and it doesn't have this safety feature, although all my other models of the same knife do. I need to send it back but would like to provide an accurate explanation. It is a very popular backlock model.

Thanks!
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

I believe its called the detent. I could be wrong, it is a Monday. Someone will surely chime in...
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
Clip

Post by Clip »

I refer to the act of the lock engaging slightly to keep the knife closed as the detent as well.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Correct. The only thing I'd add to this: The detent ball is a small ball-bearing (usually 1/16" in dia.) that is embedded in the locking tab of a liner-lock (or frame lock) styled knife. The purpose of the detent ball is to keep the blade in the closed position until you begin to rotate the blade open. (Note: The blade itself features a small detent hole that engages the detent ball once the blade reaches the fully closed position. This is why the blade of a well-made liner lock will "snap" into place once the blade is fully closed).

Back-locks (or "lock-backs") do not feature a detent ball. Instead, the "inside" area of the blade's tang (the area of the tang that rides against the locking bar) is specifically ground so that tension from the locking bar causes the blade to remain in the closed position until you open the blade past the 1/4 to 1/2 mark. It's easier to demonstrate than to explain. Hope this helps.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I might call that a problem with closed blade retention (especially if referring to a back lock).
:bug-red-white
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

"Self-close" is the feature that pulls a blade into the handle at a certain point. Knifes with detent ball bearings do this at a lower point than a lockback's spring.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Also known as "closing bias".
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

With a frame or liner lock its the detent.
With a lock back it often called walk and talk referring to how the blade snaps open and closed.
I Have A High Art: I Hurt With Cruelty Those Who Wound Me. Archilochus 650 BC.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

yablanowitz wrote:Also known as "closing bias".
Yes, closing bias describes it best in my opinion.
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Per-Sev wrote:often called walk and talk
\

Yes, walk and talk describes it best in my opinion.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

"Closing bias" is probably the most accurate, but just explaining that the blade does not finish closing by itself when the tip is broght within 1/4" of the handle would also describe the issue in a way any knife manufacturer should understand.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!