Endura Bit Me Hard- Just a reminder to be careful, you could be next!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Noah

Endura Bit Me Hard- Just a reminder to be careful, you could be next!

Post by Noah »

:eek:

I had just gotten a new Endura 4 FFG in blue and was very excited about it, I was playing around with it and fondling it like we all do when we open up a new knife. It's a universal symptom of our knife addiction.

Standing in my living room, I had just spun the handle into a reverse grip, when something distracted me, I think my dog barking outside. As I turned to check out the distraction, I gently brought my hand down without thinking about it...

I felt something "brush" the front of my jeans, and before I even looked I distinctly remember thinking to myself, "Oh that was the knife, I need to be more careful or I'll stick myself!" So I look down a my thigh, and there's the Endura stabbed into my thigh with blood squirted across the blade. :eek: still felt absolutely no pain. My hand is still on the knife, which of course I pull right out, in shocked slow motion.

At this point, I think I only gave myself maybe a small scrape, or at the very least something fixed by a few minutes of pressure and a big band aid, so I head downstairs to my basement restroom and (I can't believe I did this) rinse the blood of the blade while I hold a nearby rag to my leg, which still doesn't hurt.

I close the blade and slide it back onto my pocket, but when I look at my leg again, I finally take a good look at what I did to myself... I can clearly see an inch long cut, at least 3/4" of inch deep, with a soon foot by 6" blood stain in my jeans. Even though I just looked into my cut thigh muscles and a hollywood style spreading blood stain, my first thought is to move my phone from my right pocket to my left before it's drenched in blood. *facepalm*

It's only now that I have the "oh shoot!!' realization that I am drenched in blood and a band aid won't do the trick. As I head back up the stairs, maybe 1 minute after I stabbed myself, the pain starts- no sting, just a horrible aching cramp in the cut muscle that screams every time I try to use it. I'm limping terribly, soon I won't be able to walk at all.

A family member drives me to the local urgent care for 6 stitches and a few laughs. The walk from the car into the urgent care was the most painful experience of my entire life, and I've broken bones, jumped into a pool backwards and slammed my head on the deck, and been sent to the hospital by a broompole. I thought I was going to pass out after just a step or two.

When I wasn't trying to move, I still have that horrible "I just ran my muscle full speed into a doorknob" feeling that didn't go away til I forced a few Vikaden down when I finally made it home.

2 days of crippled misery and a ton of embarrassment later, I still can barely walk and hurt every time I move. The cut was right across the muscle in the middle front of my right thigh. I've had a lot of time to catch up on YouTube, forums, and some old movies, at least...

Lessons learned: Please, never ever stab yourself, for me? It hurts.

More "practical" lessons? A reverse grip is pretty dangerous to yourself if you don't know what you're doing. :rolleyes: And you are distracted.

It took zero pressure for the tip of the Endura to go straight through jeans and the pocket beneath and then an inch into my leg.

It was over a minute before I felt any pain or was immobilized at all.

After maybe a minute, I've been pretty well impaired for days, just from one "small" stab.

So I repeat: DON'T DO THIS TO YOURSELF!!! ;)

Take Care! :spyder:
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Sympathies and best wishes for a speedy recovery...I think you diagnosed the situation very well. I'm definitely not picking on you - I've done worse, and been treated worse. :( Just for the record, though:
Noah wrote:
much snippage

...I was playing around with it and fondling it...

...something distracted me...

...I gently brought my hand down without thinking about it...

So I repeat: DON'T DO THIS TO YOURSELF!!! ;)
Noah

Post by Noah »

JNewell wrote:Sympathies and best wishes for a speedy recovery...I think you diagnosed the situation very well. I'm definitely not picking on you - I've done worse, and been treated worse. :( Just for the record, though:

Thanks :) I figured I may as well use my embarrassing story here to remind everyone not to do the same thing! I love your summary of my post haha- it should be a sticky as a reminder to us all! Just your snipped summary there, maybe I'll even put it in my signature.

So a 3rd time: Please don't do this to yourself! :o
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

I think most people block the fall with their wallets.

Edit: see next post
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
BatCountry9

Post by BatCountry9 »

Got you a present, OP...

Noah

Post by Noah »

Haha, just what I need! :p I never wanted to pay the price for one of those, I did carve a nice wooden Endura though.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Noah wrote:Thanks :) I figured I may as well use my embarrassing story here to remind everyone not to do the same thing! I love your summary of my post haha- it should be a sticky as a reminder to us all! Just your snipped summary there, maybe I'll even put it in my signature.

So a 3rd time: Please don't do this to yourself! :o
If it makes you feel less absent-minded, I once dropped a Tim Zowada (thin spear-point blade, very sharp, with heavy-ish micarta handles). It fell into my forearm and severed an artery. You have never seen so much blood at a location where the coroner was not required. :(
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

BatCountry9 wrote:Got you a present, OP...

I have a big collection of various different models of those. There's a lot to be said for them. :) :spyder:
Noah

Post by Noah »

JNewell wrote:I have a big collection of various different models of those. There's a lot to be said for them. :) :spyder:
with my track record, I bet I could manage to poke my eye out with one, or something.... I do wear glasses, at least. :p Or pinch my finger in one of the extra holes. Clumsy finds a way.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Ouch! Get better soon!
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

hehe I stabbed my foot- Strider 3/4 ground SnG fell on it.

I was practically naked wearing only a towel and had my jeans in my arms, I was carrying the SnG loose.
It slipped out of my pocket and must have been part open, It hit my foot. Innitially I thought it was closed, it felt like an impact pain, not stab.
I looked down, realised I had a hole in my foot and couldnt feel about 5/8 of my foot. " oh ****, this isnt as small as I hoped" LOL

I dressed trying not to hget blood everywhere.

I Made a video of it ( yep, really), then put a plaster over it, pulling the edges of each side of the wound together. I could walk fine, though it felt **** strange as I couldnt feel most of my foot.

Next morning I hopped out of bed and took a step, and screamed **** near giving my girlfriend a heart attack :eek:
LOLOLOL

The next few weeks at work sucked. I didnt take a day off, though I should have.

THe next day after the stab, I went to the doctor thinking I would need stitches, keep in mind, this was a DEEP wound, I measured the blood on the tip of my SnG and the blood went 16mm over the tip.. This was a $40 NZD trip to the doctors, and you know what they did? THEY PUT A BAND-AID ON IT and said good day. >_> ( they did the same thing to a friend who cut his finger to the bone a few months before, put a frigging bandaid on it)

In short, Dont get injured in NZ ( or at least Masterton), doctors dont give an eff. lol

Get better soon :D

oH EDIT TO ADD. This happened 4-5 months ago, I still cant feel part of my foot, and it still kinda hurts.
DunninLA

Post by DunninLA »

that's what you get for owning knives that are actually... sharp. Actually that is a good reminder that Spydercos ARE sharp, and even short drops can end up an inch into (foot, thigh, arm, etc.).

All people prone to distraction should dull up their blade real good, y'hear now?
Noah

Post by Noah »

DunninLA wrote:that's what you get for owning knives that are actually... sharp. Actually that is a good reminder that Spydercos ARE sharp, and even short drops can end up an inch into (foot, thigh, arm, etc.).

All people prone to distraction should dull up their blade real good, y'hear now?

Ya, that factory edge was quite excellent. ;)

I'd keep it dull, but then I would be putting way too much effort into cutting something, and it would slip and impair my ability to count all the way to 10. Maybe I should have one knife with a dull edge, but a very sharp point, and one with a blunted tip, and a sharp edge. That way I can take care of all EDC tasks with a lower chance of another hospital visit.

Or I can just pay more attention. I'll always have a nice scar! :p
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Noah wrote:with my track record, I bet I could manage to poke my eye out with one, or something.... I do wear glasses, at least. :p Or pinch my finger in one of the extra holes. Clumsy finds a way.
Actually :) they are not safe to use in actual person-on-person training, for exactly the reason you mention. But they are great for keeping your hands busy while watching a movie, for example.
Noah

Post by Noah »

JNewell wrote:Actually :) they are not safe to use in actual person-on-person training, for exactly the reason you mention. But they are great for keeping your hands busy while watching a movie, for example.
Actually I was not even talking about force on force practice, I was joking about hurting myself just playing around with one! For keeping my hands busy, I was thinking about one of the Spyderco Ballisong pens... That would be very very cool to pull out at work. And it can't plunge into my thigh and send me to the hospital.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

But think of the ink stains!!! ;)
Noah

Post by Noah »

All of my work pants are covered in ink stains from leaving the pens in the pockets when I wash them. It's hilarious that you mentioned that. :D
mrphotoman

Post by mrphotoman »

Holland

Post by Holland »

thanks for sharing, heal fast man!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
HtR

Post by HtR »

BatCountry9 wrote:Got you a present, OP...

That's going to be my next Spyderco for sure.

I was playing around with my Endura 4 the other night, trying to work on dexterity of switching grips and quick draw/deployment from pocket and at one point I thought what if you mess up during your time taking 'baby steps'. The blade is razor sharp and you are going to get hurt.

Anyways, I have the Endura and the Pacific Salt. The Endura Trainer will be perfectly suited to represent both in terms of ergos and balance.