Wegner Jr. C49GPS Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AUXCOM

Wegner Jr. C49GPS Question

Post by AUXCOM »

Hello All,

Several years since I've posted anything, but I've still been reading and buying spydies!

Question - can anyone confirm if Tim made an "Icthus" ( Christian Fish Symbol ) version of the Wegner Jr. C49GPS? I've got a Mouse with one and would love to have a matching set.

But before I go on a wild goose case I'd like to make sure it they really exist. A dealer in PA once told they did but I've never seen one.
" As Iron Sharpens Iron, So one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17
grg

Post by grg »

I don't believe so,just the mouse.I like the Wegner's myself.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

All I can say with absolute certainty is that I've never seen that symbol on a C49 or C50 Wegner. Beyond that it's generally difficult, if not impossible, to prove that something which could exist does not exist. A collector who I consider knowledgeable once swore to me that he'd seen a plain edged C16 Micarta Goddard. I wanted it to exist, so I kept looking for the longest time despite the fact that it was never mentioned in any of the Spyderco catalogs or price sheets and that everyone else I spoke to said it never existed I did finally give up, but it took a while. This, on the other hand, may be the rare exception to that rule. The only way an "Icthus" C49 would exist is if, like the Mouse, it was done for Tim Wegner either by Spyderco or an engraver. AFAIK, he's still alive, so contacting him would be the most effective way to know for sure, one way or the other.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

Can you post a picture of the mouse you have???

Thanks.

-Zach
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Here are several interesting links:

http://spyderco.com/forums/printthread.php?t=572

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_ ... 4371414713

This is/was his email address, however, as he retired from Blade-Tech it is probably no longer active: tim@blade-tech.com
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
Franco G

Post by Franco G »

@AUXOM

I have 2 Wegner jrs. I never heard about fish sign. However, for people who might wonder why fish symbol is used as a Christan sign - here is an explanation

ΙΧΘΥΣ (Ichthys) is an acronym[citation needed] for "Ίησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ", (Iēsous Christos, Theou Yios, Sōtēr), which translates into English as "Jesus Christ, God's Son, Savior".

Iota (i) is the first letter of Iēsous (Ἰησοῦ&#962 ;) , Greek for "Jesus".
Chi (ch) is the first letter of Christos (Χριστό&#962 ;) , Greek for "anointed".
Theta (th) is the first letter of Theou (Θεο&#965 ;) , Greek for "God's", the genitive case of Θεóς, Theos, Greek for "God".
Ypsilon (y) is the first letter of (h)yios[4] (Υἱό&#962 ;) , Greek for "Son".
Sigma (s) is the first letter of sōtēr (Σωτή&#961 ;) , Greek for "Savior".

Well, the 'fish' in Greek is written ΙΧΘΥΣ, and for Christians, the letters have the meaning as above explained. During the terror, torture, killings of Christians the drawing of fish - ΙΧΘΥΣ - was a secret Christian code to recognize each other in a clandestine way.

Wegner jr. is, IMO, the best Spyderco ever, among 2-3 in the the same category.
Spyderco: NON MULTA SED MULTUM

My islands
AUXCOM

Post by AUXCOM »

Hello All,

Thanks for the responses and helpful advice. Yes, I think it's best to go to the source. I will try to track down Tim W. if / When I found out anything I'll post here.

@Deacon - glad to see you're still around - looks like your retirement took you south.

@ Franco G Thanks for that awesome and in depth explanation of the Icths

@Tubpbs Zach - I can't figure out how to post a file less than 100Kb and my camera's lowest is VGA rez. Check this old picture I posted several years ago http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ght=AUXCOM DSC00004.jpg

Brian Thanks for your leads. For the record County was NOT the PA dealer who told me this existed ( but of course you already knew that!)

Regards
" As Iron Sharpens Iron, So one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17