Loupes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
angusW

Post by angusW »

ChapmanPreferred wrote:I use this one:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.a ... 3351,51092

which works really well and has its own illumination.
+1 on this loupe. Enough magnification but not too much and the light is a big bonus. I'm no expert but there's no distortion like on a really cheap lens.

I had the BelOmo Triplet and while the glass is excellent, not much better if at all than the LeeValley one imho, the lack of a light is very frustrating. My BelOmo was stolen and I don't miss it at all.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Cheygriz

Post by Cheygriz »

jackknifeh wrote:Question about this microscope. Here is a statement from the advertisement on the page your link goes to:

"Light on the pocketbook and fun for the whole family, the Veho VMS-004D 400x USB Microscope provides a closer look at the world around you with either 20x or 400x magnification."

I am assuming this could be written better to indicate a gradual zoom between 20x and 400x is what this microscope is capable of. To me, from reading the add the thing can magnify at 20x or 400x but not at 100x, 200x, etc. Can you clear this up for me please? Thanks.
No. Unfortunately, it's EITHER 20X or 400X. Nothing in between. But using the full screen option on 20X, the edge looks HUGE!!!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Cheygriz wrote:No. Unfortunately, it's EITHER 20X or 400X. Nothing in between. But using the full screen option on 20X, the edge looks HUGE!!!
Ok, how about the 400x setting? What is it good for? Knife edges? I'm surprised to hear this actually. That seems like a huge jump for one tool and to be the only two settings. I'm now having second thoughts about this item. OTOH, I've never used one and don't know anything about them. Based on this info do you recommend this microscope? I was surprised also at the price because with the small amount of shopping around I've done this one is far less expensive of others I found. I haven't shopped much though because I saw this one right off because I shop on CKTG often and they have it at around $65. I don't want to get too "into" magnified edges but I've also been known to start cheap, be a little disappointed then buy what I want. The first purchase becomes wasted money. Unless I sell it for a loss on ebay. I also want one that my grandson may benefit from but that won't be for a few (or several) years. Or he may never be interested in science and lean toward bank robbery. :) I appreciate your opinion.

Jack
Divo

Post by Divo »

There is a huge development each year in digital hardware. Over several years when your grandson maybe wants to use it, the thing is already outdated.

Although I dont have experience myself, the very low price is an indication of the possibilities and quality. Good digital microscopes costs hundreds of usd. So I would not have high expectations. But maybe its useful enough for edges?

I like to be surprised and would love to see some outputs. :)
Rogcohen

Post by Rogcohen »

I needed a loupe to look at diamonds when I was getting engaged, and I actually just went to a Jared's and asked to buy one. They gave me one for free (really nice of them) and it's actually pretty good.
Cheygriz

Post by Cheygriz »

The VEHO is terrific at 20X. You use it with your computer. In the full screen mode, even down at 20 the edge looks huge. At 400, the focus is super-critical, (i.e. PITA) and I have to mess with it for a couple of minutes, so I use it for final inspection only. 400 is actually more useful for razors.

One of the neatest features is the ability to store pictures of your edges for future reference.

Would I recommend it? Yes! Absolutely! Just be aware of it's limitations. It's a $60 hobby tool, and IMHO, an excellent one, but it's not a laboratory grade precision instrument.