Tap Size for a Wire Clip Screw

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
willydigger

Tap Size for a Wire Clip Screw

Post by willydigger »

I'm planning to add a wire clip to my new Lava. It's my tinker obsession. I believe it is a M3x0.5mm screw. Can anyone confirm this?
Swick3 • Blue Lava • Orange Dodo • Persistence • Techno
No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 • Sage 1 • PM2 • Cat S30V G10 Custom • Orange FRN Dragonfly • Native 5 G10• Foliage Smallfly
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Since you're going to need to drill and tap the hole anyway, I'd think it might be easier to "work backwards" - find a screw of known diameter/thread count with a head large enough to retain the wire clip, then obtain the appropriate drill and tap for it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

Good advice. I think I found the correct drill size and tap. I'd prefer to have the screw "factory" so the look is the same. I'm going to source replacement screws if things work out.

Once I'm successful I'll post back so other Tinkers have an advantage. :D
No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 • Sage 1 • PM2 • Cat S30V G10 Custom • Orange FRN Dragonfly • Native 5 G10• Foliage Smallfly
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

Got all my parts together today. Well except for the scales. :(

Here are some pics of the breakdown to add the hole for the wire clip screw. I am reusing a factory hold down screw from a junk Cat CF.

All the scale screws are keyed. Thought that was cool.

Hole location estimate. This should leave some space to clear the scale screws and lanyard hole.

Pretty crappy pic of my thread gauge. That is metric 0.5. The screw is a M3x.5mm. I'll have to likely trim the screw so it fits.

Started hole cut with a Dremel.

Drilled hole. The liners are SS so it's a PITA to drill and tap. PITA. :mad:

Test fit.

I broke a tap and ruined a drill bit. If you try this go very slow with the drill. I used a 3 flute tap. It did not want to work. Perseverance overcame. I'll likely start a new thread if the scales work out. :D
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Willydigger, that certainly looks like you're off to a great start there! Excellent work, I'm excited to see your finished product. Good luck!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

Here are the final shots. First special credit to this POS Spydie clip that started the wheels turning.

Swapped to Orange G10 scales. I used the 0.60" thin versions. They are smooth too. It's still a little awkward to pocket because of the position of the jimping with the blade closed.

Underbelly with the grooves already cut. I had to trim the screw. There could be zero extra poking out. It's only in there by a couple threads.

Hand cut with the Dremel.

DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

That looks really good! I'm diggin it!
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10