Stretch 2 Problem

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheChunk91

Stretch 2 Problem

Post by TheChunk91 »

So I have a stretch 2 green frn and it has smoothness issues, at first I thought it was gritty with metal shavings or something but after much cleaning and adjustment in an effort to smooth it out I noticed that the frn handles are rubbing the blade and creating a bunch of drag, which makes it not so smooth and it even sounds like its scraping the handles. Has anybody else ever had or heard of this problem?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Can't say that I have, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Only question I'd have would be what you're comparing it to. That is to say, what knife or knives you consider to be smooth. Beyond that, if you're not happy with it the way it is, you might want to consider sending it to Spyderco for evaluation.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

Yes it happened to mine. I took my Military and used it to shave the FRN back to the liner. Spyderco's don't let other Spdyerco's rub on things they shouldn't be rubbing on.
TheChunk91

Post by TheChunk91 »

I compare it to the smoothness of my delica and endura, which are both quite a bit smoother as they dont rub the frn, but im going to get my stretch customized by tuffthumbs as soon as hes taking orders again. A special knife like a zdp stretch deserves custom g10 handles, until then though I might sand down the frn a little.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

My CF/ZDP-189 Stretch is probably my smoothest-opening back-lock I have, but my FRN/ZDP-189 Stretch is pretty close behind it. I think I may have added some oil at some point.

I have had one or two Spyderco back-locks that were gritty when I first got them. I didn't disassemble them, but after adding lubrication and operating a bunch, they really smoothed out. Now my Native III has always been pretty difficult to open. Not gritty, but combination of the pressure of the back-lock spring, plus the way the blade rubs on the FRN at the pivot, makes it more difficult. But that was common on the Native III, your Stretch should be smoother, at least after adding lubrication and a bunch of open/close cycles.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

Have you tried adjusting the pivot screw? I don't know if that would help but it's worth a try.
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
TheChunk91

Post by TheChunk91 »

I have adjusted the pivot screw and the screw closest to the lock, which is the best way ive found to get a knife smooth and a solid lockup. I have also cleaned out the pivot area with mineral oil and keep it lubricated with dirtbike fork oil, which works well and is handy.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

My BRG came like that as well. I know what you mean as compared to my Enduras/delicas and blue Stretch when they were new. Im sure there are ways to make this go away faster, I use mine the most out of any of my folders and it has smoothened out from everyday use of over a year now.

There was a thread just like this about a week ago so some BRGs are like this out the box. Mine took a good while and is still my user Spyderco so it doesnt take much away from the knife for me. Like I said though There are probably ways to quicken the breakin process.

I dont care much enough for it to open it up and tinker with it, I dont understand why though since it has steel liners just like other larger FRN's.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

TheChunk91 wrote:So I have a stretch 2 green frn and it has smoothness issues, at first I thought it was gritty with metal shavings or something but after much cleaning and adjustment in an effort to smooth it out I noticed that the frn handles are rubbing the blade and creating a bunch of drag, which makes it not so smooth and it even sounds like its scraping the handles. Has anybody else ever had or heard of this problem?
I just checked my Stretch 2 and yes I have this issue - in fact I can SEE the marks on the blade where the rubbing is occurring - it's near the pivot, where it says 'seki city' on one side and 'VG-10' on the other side. I assume that it is the actual liner rubbing because I don't think the scales would be hard enough to mark the blade in this way.

Fortunately adjusting the pivot has resolved this issue :)

Regards,
Bruno
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

glbpro wrote:I just checked my Stretch 2 and yes I have this issue - in fact I can SEE the marks on the blade where the rubbing is occurring - it's near the pivot, where it says 'seki city' on one side and 'VG-10' on the other side. I assume that it is the actual liner rubbing because I don't think the scales would be hard enough to mark the blade in this way.

Fortunately adjusting the pivot has resolved this issue :)

Regards,
Bruno
If the marks are circular and centered on the pivot, it's not something that's unique to the Stretch. Pretty much every Spyderco midlock I've used has developed them as have models with several other locks. The "good news" is that they develop fairly quickly and, once developed, do not get any worse over time.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

The Deacon wrote:If the marks are circular and centered on the pivot, it's not something that's unique to the Stretch. Pretty much every Spyderco midlock I've used has developed them as have models with several other locks. The "good news" is that they develop fairly quickly and, once developed, do not get any worse over time.
That's good to know - this knife had them from when I first picked it up from the display case. As you say, the marks have not got any worse over time. This knife is one of my main EDC tools, and I really don't notice the marks at all.

Having said that, every Spyderco owner should have a set of torx wrenches and know something about how to adjust the pivots on their knives, just as every car owner should know how to check their own oil and tire pressures.

Regards,
Bruno
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
Rider675

Post by Rider675 »

I have the same issue on a ZDP Stretch and have seen a thread in the past about it. The solution seems to be sanding the frn around the pivot. I have done 3 cycles of lube and cleaning with an air compressor over a month's time and it didn't help. Also adjusting the pivot and lock bar tension didn't help. It seems FRN is great at slowing down blades, as the action is smooth but the pinching of the liners act like brake pads when you flick it open.
Mutt

Post by Mutt »

rodloos wrote:My CF/ZDP-189 Stretch is probably my smoothest-opening back-lock I have, but my FRN/ZDP-189 Stretch is pretty close behind it. I think I may have added some oil at some point.

I have had one or two Spyderco back-locks that were gritty when I first got them. I didn't disassemble them, but after adding lubrication and operating a bunch, they really smoothed out. Now my Native III has always been pretty difficult to open. Not gritty, but combination of the pressure of the back-lock spring, plus the way the blade rubs on the FRN at the pivot, makes it more difficult. But that was common on the Native III, your Stretch should be smoother, at least after adding lubrication and a bunch of open/close cycles.

cF/ZDP 189 stretch? Was that a sprint run?
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

The CF/ZDP-189 Stretch was regular production, but was discontinued quite some time ago. It is *well* worth buying if you can find it :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Water_Gremlin

Post by Water_Gremlin »

I have the same problem with my Green FRN ZDP-189 Stretch 2. The FRN around the pivot rubs the base of the blade and no amount of lube or adjusting the pivot would solve the problem. To combat this problem I took the knife apart and sanded the FRN. It helped somewhat but not enough to where I could call it smooth. It's still actually quite stiff, I guess next time I take the knife apart I will need to remove a lot more material than I originally anticipated.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Mutt wrote:cF/ZDP 189 stretch? Was that a sprint run?
It was great :D

Still is..
Barkdog

Post by Barkdog »

ginsuwarrior wrote:I took my Military and used it to shave the FRN back to the liner. Spyderco's don't let other Spdyerco's rub on things they shouldn't be rubbing on.
Love this second sentence, Ginsuwarrior... SpyderFans don't let SpyderFans stay disappointed with otherwise perfect knives, too! :D

My Stretch 2 vexed me -- it was the only Spyderco I have that wasn't satisfactory in opening speed. I loosened, lubricated, you name it... until I saw a thread mentioning the FRN rub issue. Sure enough, I had just a tiny bit 'o rub right near the top of the handle -- that FRN stuck out past the liner just a titch too far. Fine sandpaper completely eliminated the overhanging FRN. And now it's as fast as... any other Spyderco I have.

Other comments: I sure wasn't drawn to the look, but the Stretch 2 was one I had to try based on recommendations... Now that I've handled/use a ton: the grip was love at first feel, and it's slicing ability is second to none. It's a favorite knife, especially for camping or just EDC. And the look is appreciated now, too. :)