My dilemma : To mod or not...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cereal_killer

My dilemma : To mod or not...

Post by Cereal_killer »

I'm having a bit of a dilemmia, I bought a knife specifically to moddify extensively but now I just can't pull the trigger. The knife is a Delica wave and I had several mods planned including a back spacer swap (from my purple D4) and a file pattern in the lock-bar, both of which I did and it looks awesome, but the major thing I had planned was to grind off the wave to make it have a hump in the blade like a stretch. I'm at that point, I specifically got this knife cause that was my plan all along (to have a mini stretch), I've went so far as to set the blade up in my jig and have everything out and ready, even got the coolent setup and running, but I just can't pull the trigger and actually machine it.

I know what I'm doing, metal work/machining is my trade, I have a design drawn and love the look, I'm not worried about screwing up or that I won't like it, I'm just having commitment issues actually doing such a large modification to the knife. I would say I'll just buy another D4 wave to keep factory but the purist in me is fighting to keep me from doing something that changing the design so drastically.

Happen to any of you?

Edit: here it is!
Spine shot

De-waved D4 wave & waved D4 FFG
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I can relate for sure. Mine is a fear that I will do something and then wish that I hadn't. Trick is to keep it in perspective. Seriously, whats the worst that can happen? You will Enjoy the process and you aren't doing it on a super expensive knife. I say go for it. Enjoy it, and if you absolutely hate the result then buy another one.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Do it!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Cereal_killer

Post by Cereal_killer »

Peer pressure...
I did it! It looks freakin sweet too, one day I'll be able to post pics and show it off (along with my Ladybug1 w/ recurved blade). Thank you spyderco for making these awesome knives at a price point that's low enough I don't feel bad when I customize them to make them mine.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As a major fan of the Stretch, I'll admit to being prejudiced, but I've seen photos of a waved Delica modified that way and I thought it looked great. I'd say that, since you know what you're doing, go for it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Worst that can happen? Buy another one and leave it alone? Just do it.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'm sure it's happened to me, but I say "give 'er"! :)

I never liked the wave really, so got rid of them. Surprisingly, the Endura feels great. I put a swedge on it too. So does the Delica.
Do it and show it off to all us modders. Does that help. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

That is an odd looking design, but in an appealing way.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Jazz,

Those are sweet!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks, anagarika. :)
Sorry, Cereal_killer - I missed your last post saying you already did it. I was trying to be more peer pressure. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

Hey Jazz, I really like that Delica. It looks super!
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Those un-Waved knives look AWESOME! Very bird-like in a really good way!

+1 to anyone who said buy another to put away and mod away on the one you have. If you like the mods, you might end up modding the backup one, too! :)
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I haven't started in on modding knives yet, but it will eventually happen. If my truck is any example I'll eventually just decide to jump in and go crazy. I want to build up my collection a little first though.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The round hump feels great in the hand, too. Easy mod. Reminds me of an older Spydie. I can't remember the name of it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I think the hunter and executive are reminiscent.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Cereal_killer

Post by Cereal_killer »

Like I said ya all peer pressured me into it, the pics helped too, I had never seen another done like it. I thought I was being original lol. Well I posted a couple cell phone pics in the first post so you could see the end results, again thanks for all the encouragement.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Very nice job, man. :cool: Nice pics.
- best wishes, Jazz.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

It looks nice. The modding bug is a slippery slope though, you are going to be thinking of a ton of ways to "fix" your next knife :D
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If its not an exclusive and it's not expensive to replace I'd say you can never go wrong with modding. There's a sense of satisfaction in making a knife unique and personal. I definitely carry the knives I've nodded more than the factory originals. Anything you can do to make them suit you personally more is always good unless you're worried about resale value, which depending on the buyer could end up being more or less depending on what they like and want.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David