Best Fit and Finish

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Sage 2, Domino, or Southard. The Taichung line is really great. Though my Para 2 is flawless.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

From my own experience:
1. I owned 6 Italian made Spydercos. All of them near perfect.
2. I owned four Tauchung made knives. Three had great F&F, Navaja came from dealer with scratches on bolsters.
3. There were some imperfections among Golden made knives in the past, but all (more than 15) Golden made knives, which I bought within last two years near perfect. I am very impressed with improvements.
4. Moki. I own about 30 Moki made knives. All of them top notch. But lately I read quite a few comments less than favorable comments about Calys and Starmate. I even passed on Starmate because of these.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

I think the quality in the Domino is as good as it gets. I have had custom knives that were not built as good as the Domino is. The Native 5 Forum knife comes in a close second and my Tuff is third only because the blade is slightly off center. As far as I am concerned these knives listed here are equal to any knife made at what ever the cost. Sure there are Damascus and Ivory custom knives out there that look better but is the build quality better I doubt it in most cases the art knives are not nearly as strong as these knives and I doubt the tolerances are better. You have to look at the materials used, you have titanium, carbon fiber, g10, a bearing system, super CPM steels. This is the exact same material used in knives that are $400-$1000 and are not any better than these knives are and I have owned most of those knives and while they maybe equal there not better they are just hand ground blades with CNC machined handles using the same materials the only difference is who made them.
I Have A High Art: I Hurt With Cruelty Those Who Wound Me. Archilochus 650 BC.
paladin

Post by paladin »

The Deacon wrote:Hard call, IMHO. For one thing, comparing the fit and finish of an open framed slab handled or slab scaled knife, held together with screws, with that of a pinned construction bolster and scales midlock, lockback, or slipjoint is ludicrous. The C27 Jess Horn has phenomenal fit and finish, but, to put that in perspective, it had an MSRP over $400 twenty years ago, so God only knows what they'd need to sell for today. The original bolster and scales Jigged Bone Kiwis came awfully close, at a fraction of the price.
+1, I would add that every stainless original backlock kiwi that I've seen or own is flawless to the naked eye. BTW a decent looking Jess Horn C27 just sold on a popular online auction site for $299....a great bargain for some lucky sniper, IMHO. As noted by many, Zulu and Phoenix are things of beauty also. I would love to endorse the Chapp. but I had the grit problem.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'd have to say Taichung is the most consistent with excellent fit & finish. All but one Taichung knife I've owned has been near perfect in every way. But, I've seen equally good work from Japan and the US. Chinese knives have been hit or miss for me. I don't have enough Italian knives to offer an informed opinion. But, all are an excellent value and function great.
:bug-red-white
phaust

Post by phaust »

Taichung wins. For straight quality, they're putting out the best Spydercos now. Throw price into the equation, and they're even farther ahead. Throw consistency into the equation, and again they're farther ahead.
Holland

Post by Holland »

phaust wrote:Taichung wins. For straight quality, they're putting out the best Spydercos now. Throw price into the equation, and they're even farther ahead. Throw consistency into the equation, and again they're farther ahead.
I agree for the most part, except i have never tried any of the italian models
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I have so many exemplary models it would be easier for me to name the few boo-boos I've encountered (emphasis on "few"). Anyway, a couple of good ones not mentioned yet are the C01 Worker (three screw version made in 1982) and the more current but discontinued Tim Zowada. Both are par excellence in fit and finish IMHO.
Infinite Zero

Post by Infinite Zero »

I'm going to say my Domino. That thing is perfect.
RobC2

Post by RobC2 »

My Domino is perfect as well. Big fan of the Taiwan knives.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

3rdGenRigger wrote:As the title states, I want to know which Spyderco you own has the best fit and finish.

Out of the Spyderco knives I own currently, the best fit and finish goes to the Chokwe.
I was in the knifeworks store the other day. (Awesome experience btw) and got to handle pretty much every spyderco I have ever frothed over. Had probably 25 of em laid out on the counter in front of me at once! The best f&f on any of them was that of the Chokwe! That knife was flawless!
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

My Southard is about as good as I've ever seen in any Spyderco. In fact, I'd say its F&F is absolutely on par with my Sebenzas and **** near as perfect as my Hinderers. However, all my Taiwan Spydercos are awesome (GB, Techno, Domino, Valoton, and Perin PPT). I know there may be some, as EvilD has said, who are making a judgment based on a narrow sampling of Spydercos, but I've just seen too much great stuff coming out of Taiwan with the Spyderco logo on it to believe it's just coincidence that I 'happen' to get such good F&F every time I buy one. The fact is, the Taiwan operation has their production down to an art and it's reflected in the knives we purchase.
zinczinc

Post by zinczinc »

can anyone tell me that the spyder hole on Techno is so rounded due to its design or only by Taiwan great F & F? IMO, it makes me think techno is the perfect one in my collection.

*all other three spyder hole cut my nails while opening
paladin

Post by paladin »

zinczinc wrote:can anyone tell me that the spyder hole on Techno is so rounded due to its design or only by Taiwan great F & F? IMO, it makes me think techno is the perfect one in my collection.

*all other three spyder hole cut my nails while opening
All Spyderholes are cut "sharp" around the hole, it helps "grip" your thumbpad when opening...if it is too sharp for your preference take your white sharpmaker rod and carefully smooth the inner circumference
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

NoFair wrote:C42 or Phoenix? Both of mine are flawless (got a spare C42 PE coming so I have a beater :D )
Sorry, the original, C42P for me!
zinczinc

Post by zinczinc »

Thanks. But there is really a big different b/w techno and others.

Techno is way rounder than other spydies.

And I had done you have said lol use the rods on my Cat
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Bradley folder
Volpe
Caly 3/3.5
Southard
Forum Native
Kopa
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Caly3 hands down.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

For a modern folder, my original Sage 1 was pretty darned close to perfect.

But the best F&F I ever got on a spyderco was my original aluminum scaled Terzuola Jr.

Ted{
flash900

Post by flash900 »

My Bradley and Techno rank as the most flawless Spydies in my collection.

The Southard would be in that list but the clip was sharp enough to stab me.

The Domino (my current favorite) would also be in the list but for the Spydie hole, which is surprisingly unfinished.

F&f on the Perrin PPT and Chaparral S30V are excellent.

I used to think the Sage 1 and 2 would qualify for this list. As good as they are, they have been surpassed by the above models. (My Sages were made several years ago and may or may not represent current production standards in Spyderco's Taiwan plants.)

ADDENDUM: My Forum Native belongs somewhere on this list.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie