Stretch FRN Blade Friction/Tightness

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
m6steen

Stretch FRN Blade Friction/Tightness

Post by m6steen »

Has anyone else noticed "excessive" blade friction/tightness on their Stretch FRN compared to similar models? I have a VG-10 and ZDP-189 and both seem to have overly tight blades that produce a rubbing sound when opened or closed.

It can of course be alleviated by loosening the pivot, but only to the point that side-to-side play becomes excessive. My Enduras don't have this issue and seem to have a gap on either side of the blade, which I assume is from the washers...

[ATTACH]22748[/ATTACH]
Attachments
image.jpeg
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C41 Native 5 | Never Summer/NFFF
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not a huge fan of the D4 and E4, so I don't have a lot of those for comparison. but all 5 specimens of the FRN Stretch I just tested (3 ZDP, 2 VG-10) open more smoothly/easily that the 2 FRN D4's and about the same as the 2 E4's I used for comparison.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Both my VG10 and ZDP Stretches arrived snug but inaudible (to me). I loosened the pivots on both, applied lubricant, and tightened them enough to eliminate horizontal play. Still snug but less so. Having since enjoyed the countless authoritative clicks of opening and closing each knife, I see evidence of rubbing on the tangs, but I can also now flick each blade half way closed (too snug to do so earlier). I conclude the Stretch has a bit of a break-in period. When it bothers me enough, I'll smooth out the tang marks with a suitable rubbing compound. Gotta say that Sal has done us a favor continuing to improve his original design.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

This turned me off the stretch when handling for the first time. I think there are raised frn pseudo washers around the pivot that contribute to this effect. Maybe grinding them off would allieviate the pressure...
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
m6steen

Post by m6steen »

Thanks for your comments/input...

@Cheddarnut - having taken apart both the Endura 4 and the Stretch I can say that share the same construction and phosphor-bronze washers.

Looking at the liners/scales more closely and comparing them to the Endura 4s, I think the problem might be that on both my Stretches the liners have been recessed more deeply so that the FRN contacts the blade more during deployment. I might try some light sanding to smooth it out.
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

Cheddarnut wrote:This turned me off the stretch when handling for the first time. I think there are raised frn pseudo washers around the pivot that contribute to this effect. Maybe grinding them off would allieviate the pressure...
What is a "frn psuedo washer?" My vg10 stretch came so annoying tight I took apart to inspect. Mine had bronze colored washers. It kind of seemed like it was actually rubbing on the frn by the blade tang, so I actually trimmed a bit off to make sure it was flush with the liners. This coupled with breaking in by using smoothed things out.

I have noticed it makes a different "clicky" sound when it locks up compared to the endura and delica. I think it still doesn't lock up quite as tight and have the smoothness of the E and D, so because of this it spends less time in the pocket.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's slightly different per model. Or at least it's possible to be.

I have a Stretch FRN and so does my brother. His is very loose and easy to open, mine is more stiff. Neither (IMO) are "too stiff". If you feel yours is, it might be worth sending in to have Spyderco check it out.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

My BRG came like that. It broke in nicely though. Very good action now and centered with no play other than the slight up and down present in lockbacks.

My suggestion: Use it and get back to us in a few months. It's not gonna break in by itself/sitting on the shelf.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
m6steen

Post by m6steen »

@FCM415 - I actually bought it (slightly) used and have been using it for about a month myself, so I feel it has had enough break-in time. I'm rather convinced that it's due to the liners being more recessed than on the Endura which allows for more contact with the FRN. I'll follow-up if/when I do any alterations...
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

m6steen wrote:@FCM415 - I actually bought it (slightly) used and have been using it for about a month myself, so I feel it has had enough break-in time. I'm rather convinced that it's due to the liners being more recessed than on the Endura which allows for more contact with the FRN. I'll follow-up if/when I do any alterations...
Yup, mine came that way.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

It did take mine a long time to break in to what it is now. Mine was like yours, probably worse. My other two Stretches were smoother out the box though.

There is light at the end of the tunnel hehe.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Cheddarnut wrote:This turned me off the stretch when handling for the first time. I think there are raised frn pseudo washers around the pivot that contribute to this effect. Maybe grinding them off would allieviate the pressure...
You are wrong. The "built in" washers you describe only exist on models with unlined FRN handles. The FRN Stretch is built exactly like the FRN versions of the Delica 4 and Endura 4, with nested steel liners and phosphor bronze washers.
ginsuwarrior wrote:What is a "frn psuedo washer?"
For future reference, here's a photo of what Cheddarnut was referring to. However, as I noted above, they only exists in unlined FRN handles. The photo shows the interior of the handle from a burgundy FRN Goddard which STR cut apart and rebuilt with a titanium handle. If you ask me, it was a rather ingenious way of providing washers in a one piece FRN handle without making the assembly a royal PITA.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

The Deacon wrote:You are wrong. The "built in" washers you describe only exist on models with unlined FRN handles. The FRN Stretch is built exactly like the FRN versions of the Delica 4 and Endura 4, with nested steel liners and phosphor bronze washers.

For future reference, here's a photo of what Cheddarnut was referring to. However, as I noted above, they only exists in unlined FRN handles. The photo shows the interior of the handle from a burgundy FRN Goddard which STR cut apart and rebuilt with a titanium handle. If you ask me, it was a rather ingenious way of providing washers in a one piece FRN handle without making the assembly a royal PITA.

Of course youre right deacon. I dont know why i forgot the stretch had liners *facepalm*...
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
nullity

Post by nullity »

Along with the pivot I noticed that the lockbar screw tension had an effect on how tight the action was. I left it slightly looser than snug and Loctited it.
m6steen

Post by m6steen »

m6steen wrote:Thanks for your comments/input...

Looking at the liners/scales more closely and comparing them to the Endura 4s, I think the problem might be that on both my Stretches the liners have been recessed more deeply so that the FRN contacts the blade more during deployment. I might try some light sanding to smooth it out.
m6steen wrote: @FCM415 - I actually bought it (slightly) used and have been using it for about a month myself, so I feel it has had enough break-in time. I'm rather convinced that it's due to the liners being more recessed than on the Endura which allows for more contact with the FRN. I'll follow-up if/when I do any alterations...
FYI everyone - a little sanding on the front of the FRN to the back lock screw fixed the problem - no more friction or tightness. Seems like this is something Spyderco could improve by reducing the depth of the liners, but that might require a mold change. Easy fix nonetheless and vastly improved the deployment.

Also, after the light sanding the pivot screw needs to be tightened down all the way to eliminate the side to side play.
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

m6steen

Post by m6steen »

Also, after the light sanding the pivot screw needs to be tightened down all the way to eliminate the side to side play.
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Glad you got your stretch figured out. I had the blue ZDP model and Ion't remember it being tight at all. I needed to add some power steering fluid to my car. I was using the Stretch to cut the foil cover off the opening. Something happened and I almost dropprd the bottle but LOTS of fluid spilled all over my Stretch. It was about like I dunked it in a bucket of power steering fluid. I cleaned it out and washed it off as best I could. After that it was the smoothest opening knife in the world. :) Also, when cutting around things the knife held the curves better than ever. :D I told that story before and someone else made the joke about the Stretch cutting around curves like it was on rails. :) So I stole the joke. :) Ya hear them then you tell tem. It's a rule. :)

Back on the subject I am glad you fixed the problem and my suggestion doesn't have anything to do with your issue but it might help tight pivots on other knives. Someone suggested loosening the pivot screw, lubbing then tighten the screw and adjust. I love this procedure because the lube gets all over between washers, liners, etc. Then when you tighten the screw you know it is well lubbed. Also, I use Nano-oil. This oil is supposed to perform better as you increase the force between two parts that move against each other. Supposed to be great for heavy machinery where hundreds or thousands of lbs of pressure might be on a pivot. So, since the lubrication is better we can use Nano-oil and tighten the pivot tighter than after using another oil. So when you need to tighten a pivot so tight to eliminate blade play that it makes the blade stiff the nano-oil still allows the blade to move smoother. I don't remember having a knife like yours that Nano-oil solved the problem but I do know i can snug the pivot screw a bit more when using Nano-oil than Quick Release (which is great) Tuf-Glide or any other oil I've tried. I love using Nano-oil because I believe it works better and it is also compatible with other oils so there is no need to try to wash out the pivot to remove other oils as much as possible. Just apply the Nano-oil, Move the blade working it in real good and allow a break it period it the knife is new.

Nano-Oil probably wouldn't have help your situation since you fixed it using another action but it's still a great lubricant. I also use it on EDC flashlight threads. It works great on the threads as well as the rubber gaskets under the head or rear cap.

Jack
sinkerslider

Post by sinkerslider »

The one Stretch I have came tight and still is pretty tight compared to my Endura's and Delica's, but not excessively so. I have considered taking it apart and cleaning it, polishing the washers then lubing it. I've had good luck doing that with other knives.
sinkerslider

Post by sinkerslider »

m6steen wrote:FYI everyone - a little sanding on the front of the FRN to the back lock screw fixed the problem - no more friction or tightness. Seems like this is something Spyderco could improve by reducing the depth of the liners, but that might require a mold change. Easy fix nonetheless and vastly improved the deployment.

Doing this didn't cause any blade play?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Break it in, don't worry about it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.