Fixed Blade P'kal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KBar666

Fixed Blade P'kal

Post by KBar666 »

Ok, so I know there were some custom/semi custom ones from Shivworks and various other makers that have copied the idea....

But any chance for a Spydie made fixed blade of the P'kal?

that would be pretty awesome.

Folder, Trainer, and Fixed blade.

:cool:
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

I'm onboard.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

None so far but here's a post from the man himself from BF.
Sal Glesser wrote:Looks like Loki is causing Pakal trouble. (he's caused P'Kal trouble in the past :rolleyes :) . Looks like Singularity is also a troublemaker. :p

Mike J, Southnarc and Eric are working on a design that has multiple function capability, including Pakal.

I don't remember saying "never", but Singularity is younger and probably has a better memory. ;) . I do have 2 designs for a fixed P'Kal based on the folder pattern. One is a simple full tang (skeletonized) with ergonomic G-10 scales. Small hole (trademark), no Emerson Opener, no clip.

sal
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

ugh...I assume some of those refrences are others screen names....so the gist of that was that indeed they are working on it and it might happen...maybe.
KNaB

Post by KNaB »

KBar666 wrote:ugh...I assume some of those refrences are others screen names....so the gist of that was that indeed they are working on it and it might happen...maybe.
Singularity= chuck_roxas45
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

KNaB wrote:Singularity= chuck_roxas45
Yus, that's me. :D

Been bugging Mr. G for a fixed p'kal for some time. :D
GSO

Post by GSO »

I'm crossing my fingers as well. Please give it a super thin blade and a minimal imprint handle.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

GSO wrote:I'm crossing my fingers as well. Please give it a super thin blade and a minimal imprint handle.
Why super thin? P'kal is a point driven style and the target points have a lot of bone.
GSO

Post by GSO »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Why super thin? P'kal is a point driven style and the target points have a lot of bone.
My suggestion was more about imprinting, but a thin blade would come in handy in the cutting dynamics. Though you drive the point in first, you use your lats to pull and shear flesh as you retrieve your knife. Retrieving the blade and getting your knife back at the ready is a priority, and a thinner blade decreases resistance in that retrieval, no? If your entry hits bone, you just make like a sewing machine and rapidly insert the point somewhere else. Alternatively, pull at that resistance and physically manipulate the target as you desire. What did you want the blade to do at the bone? Pierce and fracture it?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

GSO wrote:My suggestion was more about imprinting, but a thin blade would come in handy in the cutting dynamics. Though you drive the point in first, you use your lats to pull and shear flesh as you retrieve your knife. Retrieving the blade and getting your knife back at the ready is a priority, and a thinner blade decreases resistance in that retrieval, no? If your entry hits bone, you just make like a sewing machine and rapidly insert the point somewhere else. Alternatively, pull at that resistance and physically manipulate the target as you desire. What did you want the blade to do at the bone? Pierce and fracture it?
All.good point but a broken blade will no longer be workable. What thickness are you thinking of?
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

Thanks.

Chuck_roxas45.

I also I personally feel both point of the convo, so I think its probably best in my opinion to find some medium, where the blade still is strong...but of course, duh, is easily concealed...and has less drag. But I also agree that a broken blade is not a good thing either when you need It.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would think it would be more a candidate for a 4mm blade, hollow-ground. Done properly those slice very well, for example: Chinook 2.

Plus if you have a slender blade (top to bottom) overall thickness is more important. The Massad Ayoob is a crazy-sharp example but at 3mm I wouldn't want to thrash on the tip.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

I think you must have some patience ;) At the Spyderco meet we saw a Prototype (not a concept model), so nearly production, of the fixed P'kal. If I remember well the knife was called the "Reverse" because you can swith over the G-10 handle scales so you can configure the knife edge-in or edge-out to your own preference. And if i'm not mistaking the scales consisted of two layers so you can configure the thickness of the handle by removing a layer on both side.

It was a really awesome SD fixed blade. The blade begin with a large ricasso that acts as a guard and ends in a long P'Kal shaped point I hope to see this one come out early 2014 :)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

^-- That sounds extremely interesting.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

IG-88 wrote:I think you must have some patience ;) At the Spyderco meet we saw a Prototype (not a concept model), so nearly production, of the fixed P'kal. If I remember well the knife was called the "Reverse" because you can swith over the G-10 handle scales so you can configure the knife edge-in or edge-out to your own preference. And if i'm not mistaking the scales consisted of two layers so you can configure the thickness of the handle by removing a layer on both side.

It was a really awesome SD fixed blade. The blade begin with a large ricasso that acts as a guard and ends in a long P'Kal shaped point I hope to see this one come out early 2014 :)
daddy likes ;)
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

IG-88 wrote:I think you must have some patience ;) At the Spyderco meet we saw a Prototype (not a concept model), so nearly production, of the fixed P'kal. If I remember well the knife was called the "Reverse" because you can swith over the G-10 handle scales so you can configure the knife edge-in or edge-out to your own preference. And if i'm not mistaking the scales consisted of two layers so you can configure the thickness of the handle by removing a layer on both side.

Really? pretty awesome sounding
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I trust Spyderco to use the proper thickness. The proto sounds interesting, to say the least.
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I trust Spyderco to use the proper thickness. The proto sounds interesting, to say the least.
I agree...they know more about making knives than I do. LOL.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

My Goldsworthy Pakal started from around a 4mm blade stock and it's thinned to the spine at around 3mm.

It is double edged so it looks pretty thin edge on view.

This is as thin as I want to go and as long as the spine is not crazy thick like 5 or 6 mm, I'd say the blade geometry will have no problem shearing flesh.
GSO

Post by GSO »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I trust Spyderco to use the proper thickness. The proto sounds interesting, to say the least.
Yeah, leave it to Spyderco's in-house testing to find the right compromise. I've never stabbed anything like my life depended on it, but the P'kal is 3mm IIRC and that tip seems tough enough. The geometry and the steel used also have to be considered for strength.

Anyway, I like to think that if I did enough in a SD scenario to wreck the blade of a P'kal, the recipient of the blade must be looking a whole lot worse. Hopefully that would be enough to walk away from such an encounter.