Fixed Blade P'kal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GSO

Post by GSO »

IG-88 wrote:I think you must have some patience ;) At the Spyderco meet we saw a Prototype (not a concept model), so nearly production, of the fixed P'kal. If I remember well the knife was called the "Reverse" because you can swith over the G-10 handle scales so you can configure the knife edge-in or edge-out to your own preference. And if i'm not mistaking the scales consisted of two layers so you can configure the thickness of the handle by removing a layer on both side.

It was a really awesome SD fixed blade. The blade begin with a large ricasso that acts as a guard and ends in a long P'Kal shaped point I hope to see this one come out early 2014 :)
Hey, IG-88, do you recall the size of that prototype in comparison to the P'kal? I'm excited to hear there's a prototype out there.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

GSO wrote:Yeah, leave it to Spyderco's in-house testing to find the right compromise. I've never stabbed anything like my life depended on it, but the P'kal is 3mm IIRC and that tip seems tough enough. The geometry and the steel used also have to be considered for strength.

Anyway, I like to think that if I did enough in a SD scenario to wreck the blade of a P'kal, the recipient of the blade must be looking a whole lot worse. Hopefully that would be enough to walk away from such an encounter.
When I was a kid of around 8, there was a big brouhaha at our house when my "blacksheep of the family" uncle came in a big rush to my father(who BTW, was a lawyer). My uncle said that he'd stabbed a man in the chest and that the man was probably dead because he said that the kitchen knife he used went in up to the hilt.

It was pretty funny when it turned out that the knife just folded and the man he stabbed just sustained minor flesh wounds and that he had just fainted when thought he was stabbed in the chest. I would also venture to say that the knife would be useless for defensive purposes after bending that way. :)
GSO

Post by GSO »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:It was pretty funny when it turned out that the knife just folded and the man he stabbed just sustained minor flesh wounds and that he had just fainted when thought he was stabbed in the chest. I would also venture to say that the knife would be useless for defensive purposes after bending that way. :)
I'm going to bet that wasn't a Spyderco kitchen knife. =P