Question on Pra II DLC coating

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
petty

Question on Pra II DLC coating

Post by petty »

Really like the look of spyderco blade with Black coating. Want to buy a DLC coated paramilitary II for daily use, cutting slicing food preparations and such things. Do any one know if the coating has bad chemicals or something that can not be used for food? Did some search online but still not have a clue.
By the way black blade black scale or black blade digicam scale which is more appropriate for edc (I mean keep a low profile not draw to much attention, I am doing office work, don't have much chance go hiking or hunting)
Thank you for any suggestions.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

petty wrote:Really like the look of spyderco blade with Black coating. Want to buy a DLC coated paramilitary II for daily use, cutting slicing food preparations and such things. Do any one know if the coating has bad chemicals or something that can not be used for food? Did some search online but still not have a clue.
By the way black blade black scale or black blade digicam scale which is more appropriate for edc (I mean keep a low profile not draw to much attention, I am doing office work, don't have much chance go hiking or hunting)
Thank you for any suggestions.
Only you can decide how appropriate the handle color will be in your environment. Black should be the obvious choice for obscurity's sake, although the digicam pattern looks very nice in person.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

This is just off of Wikipedia;

Applications of DLC typically utilize the ability of the material to reduce abrasive wear. Tooling components, such as endmills, drill bits, dies and molds often use DLC in this manner. DLC is also being used as a coating by some weapon manufacturers/custom gunsmiths. Some forms have been certified in the EU for food service and find extensive uses in the high-speed actions involved in processing novelty foods such as "chips" and in guiding material flows in packaging foodstuffs with plastic wraps. DLC coats the cutting edges of tools for the high-speed, dry shaping of difficult exposed surfaces of wood and aluminium, for example on automobile dashboards.

One thing I have noticed with DLC is it tends to drag when cutting certain foods, there is more resistance when you are say cutting an apple than there is with an un-coated blade.
endgame

Post by endgame »

dont get a pm2 for food prep im a chef and you get all kinds of crap inside the knife .get a mule southfork or streetbeat they are fixed blade that will work great for what you need.g10 absorbs smells and is rough so it will get all nasty pluss the lock and inside will get clogged with food but its up to you.
petty

Post by petty »

kennethsime wrote:Only you can decide how appropriate the handle color will be in your environment. Black should be the obvious choice for obscurity's sake, although the digicam pattern looks very nice in person.
They both good to me, each digicam is unique and has a special taste, black one make me feel calm some how don't know why. God I wish I could just have both, maybe in the future I will.
petty

Post by petty »

DRKBC wrote: One thing I have noticed with DLC is it tends to drag when cutting certain foods, there is more resistance when you are say cutting an apple than there is with an un-coated blade.
Did not know this, thanks for the information.
petty

Post by petty »

endgame wrote: g10 absorbs smells and is rough so it will get all nasty pluss the lock and inside will get clogged with food but its up to you.
Haven't thought about the G10 thing, thanks for the heads up. By saying food preparations I meant to say use it as a secondary maybe cut a turkey or bread or apple from time to time, and surely cleaning up would be a major thing to do after using it and I now have no idea if i can clean it, havent got one yet. Say it's a good knife and I want to give it more job that I could use it more often. :)