Legal length and edc reccomendation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zippofanatic

Legal length and edc reccomendation

Post by zippofanatic »

I was all set to get a chaparral cf because it was legal to carry on campus at my university. However after some research, I have found that we are legally allowed to carry a pocket knife as long as it does not infringe on the city codes. Well, the city deems a deadly and dangerous weapon as any knife with a blade length >3". But it never says we cant carry a deadly and dangerous weapon. It states that while carrying a deadly and dangerous weapon you shall not loiter. That is the only law I could find in the municipal codes relating to a deadly and dangerous weapon. There was noting about prohibiting the carrying of one. (PS I live in cali so the knife laws are vague.)

So my question is: I should have no problem carrying a folding knife of any length. Do you think I have interpreted it correctly?

For the recommendation: I'm unable to decide between getting a stretch 2 or a chaparral cf. I already have a sage, dragonfly g10, cricket, ladybug, persistence, pm 2, Delica 4 ffg and a benchmade mini grip.
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

Knife laws are so vague its hard to know what's legal anywhere let alone on a college campus. Carry whatever you want just don't flash it around and if you need to use it open it very slow and try not to show to much of the blade. I have carried a knife in quite a few places that were restricted just don't be a fool with it and you should be alright. Just keep it like you said under 3 inches.
I Have A High Art: I Hurt With Cruelty Those Who Wound Me. Archilochus 650 BC.
Random Dan

Post by Random Dan »

Seems like most knife laws are intent based, as long as you're being responsible I doubt any cop would have a problem with it.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -George Washington
a.manbug

Post by a.manbug »

Have you checked out the G10 Cat? I was skeptical about the 440C, but I grabbed one anyway and it's been on me ever since. It rides very low (I usually bring it around using waste band carry) and no one ever notices it. It's under 3" and affordable enough that you won't baby it. Think of it as a chaparral sized Sage 1 with a PM2 feel that is cheaper than a Dragonfly 2 :)
arty

Post by arty »

Most colleges specifically ban weapons on campus. If the local ordinances define a dangerous weapon as a knife with a blade over 3" you should avoid the Stretch. You might be able to get away with the mini grip or the Delica, but I suggest going smaller. The Chaparral or a Dragonfly might be OK.
If the town defines a larger blade as a weapon, then this identifies intent. Smaller is better at school. I recommend reading the rules more carefully.
It is hard to give reasonable advice here without knowing where you are. Keep any knife small and out of sight. This rely assumes that it is OK to carry a small knife at your school. If worried, I would leave the knife at home.
zippofanatic

Post by zippofanatic »

Well this was taken directly from the campus police page:
"What about if you have a knife?
You can have a pocket knife, as long as it does not open automatically and has only one sharp edge."

Other than that it also says, "Prohibited weapons on University property.
Most weapons are not permitted on campus. This list is just a few examples to give you an idea:
Knife with a fixed blade longer than 2 1⁄2 inches, Switchblade, butterfly knife, belt buckle knife, dirk, dagger, cane sword, pen knife, lipstick knife, or any knife that opens automatically or has more than one sharp edge,Firearms, Nunchaku, Nunchucks, Metal knuckles, Any concealed weapon (hidden from plain sight)"

"When can I have a weapon?
Some self-defense weapons can be carried on campus within legal limits. i.e.: You can have pepper spray as long as it is for self-defense, not larger than 2.5oz. and has a "Warning" label."

This is the only information given about knives and other weapons then it cites some of the california penal codes which have no restrictions on blade length. However, as I have mentioned, the city limit is 3".

Thanks for the responses so far!
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I usually see regs that limit blade-length of folders to three inches. That seems pretty common. I have to be concerned about this as I like to gift grandsons in several states that are picky on blade-length.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The details of what constitutes a "deadly weapon" should be outlined in detail with the laws of the city. I would look it up and read through it.

The factors are additive, not dependant. A gravity knife that has a 1" blade for example can be technically a "deadly weapon" if the max length (measured from pivot) allowed is "no greater than 3 inches". The likelihood of getting in trouble with that is probably lower than some just like a 3.3" Swiss Army Knife blade is more mundane than a Para2.

In general a Chaparral would be safer than most. I still wouldn't advertise it because an offended student and their parents can make your life miserable even if the laws are on stone tablets. Similarly if a cop thought my knife was a dangerous weapon I would respectfully explain its not intended as such nor was specifically loosened for gravity opening. If that doesn't work I would defer to an attorney and stop talking :) .
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I don't think you could beat the Caly 3 because of the 3"blade and the extreme low rise clip. You really can't even tell the Caly 3 and 3.5 are pocket knives at all by the clip.