Sal, couple of things I thought would be cool to see.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SteelSpyder

Sal, couple of things I thought would be cool to see.

Post by SteelSpyder »

Wasn't sure how else to title this :) . This was just some thoughts I have heard some others talk about and a thing or two of my own.

Possible future Mule steels?

There were a few steels I had in mind.

Aogami White Steel #2. Would make for an interesting comparison between Super Blue to see what kind of differences could be seen.

Vanax. It's large Nitrogen content seems like it would make for an interesting steel.

Something in CPM-154? Para 2 or Military would be awesome.

Sprint run idea. Perhaps an Endura 4 sprint run using the Volcano texture like on the Goddard, and what I believe was also used on the Endura 3.

Just some random thoughts, and maybe to see what else some others think too.
Spyderco's on preorder: Native 5 S110V, Military Cru-wear, Delica 4 Super Blue Sprint.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SteelSpyder wrote:Wasn't sure how else to title this :) . This was just some thoughts I have heard some others talk about and a thing or two of my own.

Possible future Mule steels?

There were two steels I had in mind.

Aogami White Steel #2. Would make for an interesting comparison between Super Blue to see what kind of differences could be seen.

Vanax 75. I believe I heard that Bohler was changing something with Vanax, but it's large Nitrogen content seems like it would make for an interesting steel.

Sprint run idea. Perhaps an Endura 4 sprint run using the Volcano texture like on the Goddard, and what I believe was also used on the Endura 3.

Just some random thoughts, and maybe to see what else some others think too.
I'm most definitely not Sal, but I can tell you that the molds for an FRN handle are very expensive, on the order of $30K-$40K. No way to justify it for a 1200 piece Sprint Run, it would add far too much to the per unit cost and I'm not sure how many would share your love for it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
araneae

Post by araneae »

Just fyi, There is almost zero chance of a sprint E4 with the old texture. That would require new molds that cost thousands of dollars to produce and would be economically unfeasible.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

The Deacon wrote:I'm most definitely not Sal, but I can tell you that the molds for an FRN handle are very expensive, on the order of $30K-$40K. No way to justify it for a 1200 piece Sprint Run, it would add far too much to the per unit cost and I'm not sure how many would share your love for it.
That makes sense. I hadn't really put much thought into how much the molds might cost. I suppose I should just get a 2013 Goddard to satisfy that before they are gone.
Spyderco's on preorder: Native 5 S110V, Military Cru-wear, Delica 4 Super Blue Sprint.
araneae

Post by araneae »

You beat me Paul.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

araneae wrote:You beat me Paul.
Great minds think alike. ;) :D
Paul
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Not intentionally trying to play Devil's advocate here, but wouldn't Spyderco still have the old E3 Volcano grip molds around, given that they've used them previously? Just curious...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Not intentionally trying to play Devil's advocate here, but wouldn't Spyderco still have the old E3 Volcano grip molds around, given that they've used them previously? Just curious...
I thought about that as well. However some changes were made to the handle design of the E3 to the E4. So unless Spyderco was willing to redo a Endura 3 run in full flat ground configuration, similar to the newly released Goddard sprint, I don't see it happening.
RadioactiveSpyder

SteelSpyder wrote:I thought about that as well. However some changes were made to the handle design of the E3 to the E4. So unless Spyderco was willing to redo a Endura 3 run in full flat ground configuration, similar to the newly released Goddard sprint, I don't see it happening.
Again, Devil's advocate here, couldn't they just do a sprint run of E3's then? I'm pretty sure they could handle the blade switch to a FFG. Now you'd lose your E4 handle upgrade but it would still be pretty easy for them to do, assuming the molds are still available.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The White steel is probably the rusty-est steel I've ever used. It can be taken care of but it does need care. Many expensive chefs type knives are made from this steel because of the edges it takes but it does need care and the correct cleaning.

I like everything about the E4 model and I'm not sure what could be gained by going back to the E3 setup even with a FFG blade. I still have several of them around and prefer the E4 by a long shot. The Super Blue Endura made a really nice sprint that is a one of a kind project, not having anything that ever made by anyone before. Production wise anyways. There might be some knifemakers in Japan who have made that size knife before but for sure no production quantities, and for sure no modern lightweight high performance models like the E4, the SB Calys before that, and the later Delica, Stretch, Dragonfly etc.

I woulkd worry about pivot rusting over the long haul using White steel. It can rust fast enough to make it a problem over the lifetime of a knife. Even cleaning it without taking it apart as I do with my Enduras could be problematic. Super Blue so far hasn't been a problem for me but White steel is a different matter altogether. All I can do is guess never actually having a white steel folder.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

They could just use the Pacific Salt mold. The problem (IMHO) is it would limit clip style and direction options.
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

The Mastiff wrote:The White steel is probably the rusty-est steel I've ever used. It can be taken care of but it does need care. Many expensive chefs type knives are made from this steel because of the edges it takes but it does need care and the correct cleaning.

I like everything about the E4 model and I'm not sure what could be gained by going back to the E3 setup even with a FFG blade. I still have several of them around and prefer the E4 by a long shot. The Super Blue Endura made a really nice sprint that is a one of a kind project, not having anything that ever made by anyone before. Production wise anyways. There might be some knifemakers in Japan who have made that size knife before but for sure no production quantities, and for sure no modern lightweight high performance models like the E4, the SB Calys before that, and the later Delica, Stretch, Dragonfly etc.

I woulkd worry about pivot rusting over the long haul using White steel. It can rust fast enough to make it a problem over the lifetime of a knife. Even cleaning it without taking it apart as I do with my Enduras could be problematic. Super Blue so far hasn't been a problem for me but White steel is a different matter altogether. All I can do is guess never actually having a white steel folder.

Joe
Yeah I just thought the volcano pattern would be cool to see. However after being informed on the cost of molds I can see how its a no go.

The Super Blue Endura 4 is fantastic and I am thinking about getting one or even two more. Super blue is easily one of my favorite steels all around. I look forward to all the sprints in that.

I assumed White would be very rust prone like alot of simpler steels 1095, 52100 ect.

Okay. Since my other suggestions are out. Lets perhaps discuss the possibility of Vanax :D ?
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

The whole reason I made this thread (stating since I am new) is I know Sal is close to his fanbase and just felt like hearing his thoughts on some perhaps bird brained ideas. I post alot on Bladeforums, but prefer the feel overhear.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Not intentionally trying to play Devil's advocate here, but wouldn't Spyderco still have the old E3 Volcano grip molds around, given that they've used them previously? Just curious...
They're still using those molds for the Pacific Salt, so sure, they could do a FFG Endura 3. Of course, it wouldn't have the shape, liners, and 4 way clip mounting of the E4 handle. No idea how much interest there would be in something like that, but it would definitely be a lot more feasible than making new E4 handle molds.
Paul
RadioactiveSpyder

The Deacon wrote:They're still using those molds for the Pacific Salt, so sure, they could do a FFG Endura 3. Of course, it wouldn't have the shape, liners, and 4 way clip mounting of the E4 handle. No idea how much interest there would be in something like that, but it would definitely be a lot more feasible than making new E4 handle molds.
It's certainly not that I prefer the E3 handle over the E4, quite the opposite in fact. And I do love the new SB sprint and have even picked an extra one up for a family member for Christmas. As far as the Volcano grip goes, I hope this isn't blasphemous or anything, but I really don't like it. It seems antiquated compared to the bi-directional FRN texture, and I avoid even buying knives with it (gave a Pac Salt to a buddy for that very reason).
9blades

Post by 9blades »

I was under the impression Vanax 75 was discontinued (the last of which being used in the kershaw tilt). I would love to see a Vanax 75 mule!
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Wasn't it recently used in a ZT offering? I swear I saw this mentioned in one I was looking at.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would suggest just looking to buy an Endura 3. I'm sure you can find a used or like new knife somewhere.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
9blades

Post by 9blades »

Cujobob wrote:Wasn't it recently used in a ZT offering? I swear I saw this mentioned in one I was looking at.
No, you're probably thinking of the 0777 which used Vanax 35. :)
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

A Shirogami Mule would be all kinds of awesome. :cool:
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon