Techno

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
roninair

Techno

Post by roninair »

Alright the Techno has been out for awhile now, still haven`t purchased one yet so I was wondering how many Spyderco fans still like and use the Techno as an EDC a year later?
It looks like it would fit in the "watch" pocket of a pair of jeans ?
Still sitting on the fence, need your help!
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I bought one last year and used it non-stop for a couple months. I find it a thick in the pocket for khakis at work, and primarily carry a caly 3.5 due to the thinness of the knife. I enjoy the Techno, but only carry it occasionally. It is a bulldog.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I've been carrying mine every day for nearly 13 months. I bought it with the intention it holding me over until a few "better" knives became available to me. The "better" knives (including 2 CRKs) have come & gone while the Techno continues to ride shotgun. I believe it might be the best all-round folder I have owned yet.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
amar

Post by amar »

I purchased it, used it for quiet a few months, but then it proved to be too thick for regular EDC tasks. I sold it recently in favor of a Domino, which is more suited for daily EDC. Though I like heavy built knives, and Techno has excellent fit and finish (the "thwang" upon its opening was absolutely authoritative and confidence inspiring), I rarely find good EDC uses for them. I am an office ninja, and thin blades get more use. However, it is a pleasure and joy to carry around - small, stubby, heavy duty folder.
LC Kid

Best EDC Folder!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Mr. roniair!

My Techno might be the best EDC folder I've ever owned and used. Time will tell, of course, but it's gonna be really hard to beat. And I mean REALLY.
:cool: I have to say that I own a very nice and extensive collection of folders, most of them are at the Top of the Line, both Custom and Production, and the Techno sits very comfortably above them.

Will easily handle whatever you throw at it, size and weight are plain and simple the best for an EDC folder, it's an amazing slicer, and a fantastic push & pull cutter. Design and ergos are superb, F&F certainly put the Production Knives into a new higher level of excellence, making a lot of Customs look like some amateur stuff.

It kicked away from my pocket, like forever, my Sebenzas and Hinderers. Do I have to say more?
:D
Stay Sharp!
zinczinc

Post by zinczinc »

For techno, it is my favorite EDC knifes. I bring it with me basically everywhere, besides going to gym. (dragonfly at that time)
FYI, the only thing can be said is the thickness and it is just a two-side-coin.
It is a very bulky knife, but it is super strong, heavy tasks knife.

IMO, it is the best f & f so far in my collection, due to made in Taichung.
A strong frame lock that never have any play at any direction. My Cat, Para2 has some plays.=[
the blade metal is premium, cts-xhp, keep a very polish blade well, and also the retention.
It opens very smooth, the best in my collection. It beats para2 hundreds miles away.(it is kinda a flipping toys to me sometimes=])
The spyderco hole: it has been grind well to no sharp edge around the hole. The only spyderco gave me this experience.

It is still a fairly good slicer due to it thickness. But you can open a beer with no damage on the spine.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

I still put it in my Top 10 list of all knives I have, not just Top 10 Spydercos. I don't carry it often, but still really like it for the above reasons. It fills a void no other knife I own fills. I like it a lot!
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

I've owned mine almost since they were released. I don't carry it all that often as I have an ENORMOUS EDC rotation. But when I do carry it I always enjoy it. I'd buy it again if I were to lose it somehow.
EDC Everything! Our knives are TOOLS, not 'Objects d'art'. A 'Safe Queen' is an implied insult to the designer/manufacturer.
knolan

Post by knolan »

flipe8 wrote:I've been carrying mine every day for nearly 13 months. I bought it with the intention it holding me over until a few "better" knives became available to me. The "better" knives (including 2 CRKs) have come & gone while the Techno continues to ride shotgun. I believe it might be the best all-round folder I have owned yet.
This^...have only had mine approx. 6mos but the same applies.

I think the reason this knife doesn't have a more rabid fan base (although most who try it seem to latch on to it like grim death), is that it is such a seemingly unlikely top EDC candidate on paper with it's 4.5mm thick, 2.5" long blade and chunky profile it just doesn't fit most peoples idea of the ideal EDC blade, and although an interesting package...many pass on it w/o realizing what they're missing.

Upon trying it however...wow...it cuts and slices better than anyone could imagine and holds an unbelievable edge for what seems like forever! It opens with authority (or slowly if one prefers) and has the most appealing tool like character with it's completely immaculate stonewash finish that is usually reserved for Ti framelock customs, only in some cases the Techno has a better F&F, warranty, and certainly better availability and street prices.

Each day since I bought mine, I continue to find it surprising that it is still available at all...let alone at such bargain basement prices?!
Sharpdressed man

Post by Sharpdressed man »

I have been looking at this interesting knife and I think I am going to pick one up. Tell me do the titanium scales get marked up with the other stuff in your pockets? And does the pocket clip bend too much? That was a you tube remark I noticed.
It seems the folks here love it but a few think it is on the "thick" side.
It looks like you could do some hard use work with that puppy.
knolan

Post by knolan »

Sharpdressed man wrote:I have been looking at this interesting knife and I think I am going to pick one up. Tell me do the titanium scales get marked up with the other stuff in your pockets? And does the pocket clip bend too much? That was a you tube remark I noticed.
It seems the folks here love it but a few think it is on the "thick" side.
It looks like you could do some hard use work with that puppy.
The following disclaimer applies..."IMHO"...

Any metal will ultimately scar upon contact with keys, change, etc. to some degree, and Ti is no exception. But the cool thing about the Techno with it's already distressed stonewash is that any day-to-day carry scratches it picks up is barely noticeable and merely adds to it's rugged appeal. Further, the Techno's extremely smooth stonewash seems to resist most marring anyway (so does the Sage 2 for that matter and it's totally a different finish?), and am just guessing, but suspect Spyderco's manufacturing process is responsible for this enhanced wear resistance. I've had my share of Ti bicycles, golf clubs, and other misc. Ti gear and every other Ti item scratched far easier than the Techno.

I love Spyderco's wire clips in general, although some despise em', but on the Techno with it's extremely smooth scales, it does have a few mm of lateral movement and slides out of the pocket a little too easily. In my case, removing the clip and a re-tensioning it with some long nose pliers helped but it could still be better. Some posters elsewhere have used heat shrink tubing threaded on the clip giving it a better purchase, others have resorted to etching a small portion of the scale directly beneath the clip for a rougher surface, etc. This is one area that could use improvement, but meh...I haven't lost my knife and that's the bottom line for me at least.

Lastly, yeah it's likely a little thicker than most EDC folders and at 3.6oz. a little heavier too. The thing is...these characteristics are consistent with the overall design statement of this particular knife and I'd argue with those that say these issues detract from the carry experience...that without it's thickness and heft, it's appeal would be diminished. It may not be for everyone, but don't let the naysayers dissuade you...this is one jewel of a EDC folder that exceeds on so many levels, time and space does not permit listing each. I believe those who say it has bounced their small Sebbies and PT's out of their pockets, because it is indeed that good.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Well, I got one last week and I am very pleased with it. Indeed it is build like tank and can stand some reasonable heavy duty work but it is also suited for peeling fruit and other lighter tasks.
Like: the Ti, the ergo's, the XHP, deep carry clip, the G10 spacer and the overall stonewash. No like: small pivot and the indent in the Ti scale where the hole of the blade is (your thumb encounters a sharp corner in the indent as you open the knife).
The weight makes you feel that your really have something in your hands. IMHO a 3 to 3,5 mm thick blade would have been enough (and than in K390 ;) ) The flat Ti scale screams for some inscription or CNC work.....anyone already done so?
I like this knife really much. It is small, but fit to do heavier work, like in 'Allo allo' 'Grubers little tank'. :p Right now I am making a leather friction sheath in the same leather and color as my (own made) belts so I can carry it discretely, stay tuned :rolleyes: Marcin Slyzs, you rock man!
Tom
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Mine goes into the watch/5th pocket on a regular basis when wearing jeans. Love it to death and works awesome for just about any task.

M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
LC Kid

Some Ti Work

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Mr. toomzz!

toomzz wrote:The flat Ti scale screams for some inscription or CNC work.....anyone already done so?

I remember I found this pic surfing the web some time ago:Image

Isn't it awesome? :D
Stay Sharp!
Donut

Post by Donut »

That IS pretty awesome.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
knolan

Post by knolan »

I'm not much on altered/pimped knives L C Kid, but that is amazing! Reminds me of some of Alan Davis' customs...sweet!
roninair

Post by roninair »

Thanks to all that posted .....I really like the idea of having a little tank available at a moments notice especially a FFG one .
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Thanks for posting the pic, this Techno is stunning :cool:
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

knolan wrote:
I love Spyderco's wire clips in general, ... but meh...I haven't lost my knife and that's the bottom line for me at least.

Lastly, yeah it's likely a little thicker than most EDC folders and at 3.6oz. a little heavier too.
These are the two reasons I rarely carry mine. It has fallen out of my pocket. I found it laying on the living room floor (fortunately!) If it was G10, I doubt that would have happened.

I still love the design but I don't want to lose it. A conundrum, I realize. ;) I keep meaning to try the shrink tubing thing, but just haven't.

Ken
玉鋼
araneae

Post by araneae »

I re-profiled a Techno for another forumite. My thoughts are that it was too thick in the blade, too heavy for it's size and I felt the jimping was too subtle to be much use. It was very well built and if you like a knife built like a tank, it should suit you- not my cup of tea however.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal