The Ulize has landed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Got mine today aswell! That was mighty quick and no customs! Great knife, very nice egos! Thx Spyderco

@Liquid Cobra

Sorry to read yours is still not there, is mail between US and Canada always slow? I hope it arrives quickly!
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

IG-88 wrote:
@Liquid Cobra

Sorry to read yours is still not there, is mail between US and Canada always slow? I hope it arrives quickly!
It is not supposed to be. I read a scary thread the other day about a guys microtech not being allowed through customs as they had arbitrarily decided it was a prohibited item. I have bad luck sometimes when it comes to stuff like this. I've never actually ordered a knife from the US so I don't really have any experience with wait times.

Did you guys ever get any notice from spyderco that it was being shipped?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

I am pulling the trigger on this tonight. Seems to sort of went completely under the radar in most aspects. The recurve looks to be subtle enough not to cause real crazy sharpening problems. I like bigger knives too.
Spyderco's on preorder: Native 5 S110V, Military Cru-wear, Delica 4 Super Blue Sprint.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Did you guys ever get any notice from spyderco that it was being shipped?
No, I have never received a shiiping notice from Spyderco when they ship something to me. Good luck, I hope you won't get in trouble with silly custom agents.

w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Mine arrived down under yesterday, its a very nice knife, my example has flawless f&f.

Thanks again to spyderco for the contest. :spyder:
I see, said the blind man.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I did get my first reaction from carrying it a couple days ago. I was at work and used it to cut up a burito for lunch, and one of the guys on my crew said "holy crap man that thing is a monster". He's not really a non knife person or a knifeaphobe but if it's big enough to get his attention then I would expect NKP to freak out at the sight of it, so I'll have to be more cautious of who I used it around.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

w3tnz wrote:Mine arrived down under yesterday, its a very nice knife, my example has flawless f&f.

Thanks again to spyderco for the contest. :spyder:
New Zealand is farther from Golden than British Columbia right? Lol.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

It Arrived!

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Hi everyone. Well after what felt like a lifetime, the Ulize finally arrived! I took some photos to share with you of the box and the unboxing. I wasn't sure if I should of started a new thread or not due to the volume of pics I'm posting, but I figured since this was sort of the unofficial 2014 calendar contest prize thread I would post it here. I hope you don't mind Evil D and thanks for starting this thread.

I was very surprised at the size of the box. I thought for sure it would be a little box not much bigger than the regular Spydie box most knives come in.

Come on...you can't open this with just any old knife right. This just happened to be my EDC for the day. The good ol' Dodo.

Sweet! I love free stuff. I already had the catalog but this one has a cool 3D cover. Nice touch Spyderco. Inside was the mid year release catalog and a cool laminated steel guide. Forgot to get a close shot of that.

Made in April of 2013!

And here she is...

@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

..continued.

Post by Liquid Cobra »

This photo is under exposed in an attempt to show you the grind. Evil D had mentioned how he thought that the makers in Seki did something new for the grind and I have to agree. I don't know that it shows up very well in this shot, but I tried.

Feels great in the hand. Man it has some crazy reach!

Thank you so much Spyderco for putting on this contest, doing the calendar and for being such a great company. Can't wait to get my hands on that calendar. So much waiting...

@liquid_cobra
mama

Post by mama »

Holy cow that's so neat! Spyderco rocks. That dodo sure looks funny though.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Sweet to read it arrivés! And Thx for the nice unboxing pics. Enjoy it :)

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I got to handle the ulize last week in a store. It's bigger Thani thought! Really nice f&f on the one I saw. Very unique knife!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

IG-88 wrote:Sweet to read it arrivés! And Thx for the nice unboxing pics. Enjoy it :)
My pleasure! The Ulize sure is awesome. It is very comfortable in hand. It doesn't like to be flicked open though. I don't mind that at all though. It seems more and more Spydies I buy aren't really flickers.

@liquid_cobra
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:It doesn't like to be flicked open though.
Oh but it does! Yes it may seem difficult when new, but you just have to work with it; part of it is break-in, part is paying close attention your fine motor skills...and I mean "fine". Sometimes the difference between being able to flick open or not depends on a slight change in the arc of your finger or thumb travel, or follow thru, etc.. If you play golf, then you'll appreciate how fine motor skills can make a huge difference.

Thanks for your review and the nice photos.
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

Glad to see you finally got it Liquid Cobra! I'm a little jealous, I didnt get the fancy catalog cover or the steels chart with mine! :) Enjoy, it is one heck of a knife. Since I got that and my Domino, those are the only two knives I've been carrying lately.
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Mako109 wrote:Oh but it does! Yes it may seem difficult when new, but you just have to work with it; part of it is break-in, part is paying close attention your fine motor skills...and I mean "fine". Sometimes the difference between being able to flick open or not depends on a slight change in the arc of your finger or thumb travel, or follow thru, etc.. If you play golf, then you'll appreciate how fine motor skills can make a huge difference.

Thanks for your review and the nice photos.
I'll work it in for sure. I can flick it open, it just requires some wrist movement. I meant it doesn't flip open like a para2 or yojimbo or something. Its a back lock right.

@liquid_cobra
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I'll work it in for sure. I can flick it open, it just requires some wrist movement. I meant it doesn't flip open like a para2 or yojimbo or something. Its a back lock right.
See my earlier response to the OP regarding the advantage of moving the clip for tip down carry. Tip down clip position facilitates easier flicking on larger back lock folders. With this method and proper mechanics you can flick open without wrist movement. I can flick all my back locks very fast (except on the earlier stainless steel models). I understand that it may not feel as slick as compression or liner locks because backlocks can be tight, but you can develop to the point of getting very close. Pay close attention to the travel arc of your flicking finger (thumb or middle finger) as well as the position of the knife in your hand. Developing finger strength will help overcome the initial spring resistance. The slightest change can make all the difference. Once you get it, then practice and it will become second nature.

Good luck!
Divo

Post by Divo »

THX for the pics, makes me want one. :)
Ulrich Hennicke

Post by Ulrich Hennicke »

It is verry nice to read all this positv words about the ULIZE, it is verry nice to work with Spyderco together, they made a verry good job on it, Thanks.
Take care and have a great day. Uli
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ulrich Hennicke wrote:It is verry nice to read all this positv words about the ULIZE, it is verry nice to work with Spyderco together, they made a verry good job on it, Thanks.
Well look who it is! Thank you for such an awesome design, and welcome to the forum :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David