Fluted Ti Military Color Change: No More Blue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

Fluted Ti Military Color Change: No More Blue

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi folks,

For those who don't get Spyderco's Byte by email, the most interesting bit I thought was the last part. You can read for yourself:

"Dear Spyderco Enthusiast:

Since we produced our first knife more than 30 years ago, Spyderco has always worked hard to push the limits of knifemaking quality and innovation. In the process, we have also learned to balance our uncompromising commitment to quality with the need for increased production volume.

The C36TIFP Fluted Titanium Military Model is one of the most visually stunning knives we have ever produced. Unfortunately, the painstaking processes required to achieve the rich blue handle color have hampered our ability to produce and deliver this knife in substantial quantities. To improve this situation and our productivity of this popular design, after careful consideration, we have decided to curtail the handle coloring process in favor of a bright silver finish.

This change is being implemented with current production, so all future manufacturing of this model will feature the silver finish. All inventory of colored handle components has already been exhausted and shipped to our dealers.

We truly appreciate your interest in Spyderco products and are committed to doing everything possible to support that interest by making our knives more readily available. Thank you for your understanding and patience. We are confident that the quality of our knives and the passion we put into them will make them well worth the wait.

Sincerely,

The Spyderco Crew"

[ATTACH]22699[/ATTACH]

What does everyone think? Hopefully this will mean these will actually start showing up on the streets again!
Attachments
r04_02.jpg
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

Now I HAVE to get one to match my Fluted Ti Native 5!!! :D I don't know how much more available these will be with the color change; the Ti Native isn't colored and it's been MIA since the initial release batch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm pretty indifferent. This will give users the ability to torch the Ti and make their own custom coloring anyway.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I like it without the blue.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

I was luck enough to get hold of one of the first run with nice coloring, IMO it gorgeous. OTOH, I hate to use it for fear of scratching the color. I think the change to plain Ti finish is the right way to go.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Evil D wrote:I'm pretty indifferent. This will give users the ability to torch the Ti and make their own custom coloring anyway.
You are a tough customer David! Just out of curiosity, what new knife are you most excited to see come out from Spyderco in the next year?
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

"we have decided to curtail the handle coloring process in favor of a bright silver finish."

The picture above, which looks to be the same picture in the Byte, looks like it has more of a dull, battleship grey finish, as opposed to their description of a bright silver finish, as would be found on a Ti Native 5, for example.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Right after reading my email copy of the Spyder Byte, I was wondering how many of the colored ones actually got out into the wild. Whatever the number, I think those will rise in value fairly quick. I guess time will tell.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Works for me. Now they'll be available and the price will probably fall slightly with that labor intensive step omitted. I'll gladly trade my plain Ti Millie for one of those.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:You are a tough customer David! Just out of curiosity, what new knife are you most excited to see come out from Spyderco in the next year?
Well, I do have a love for Ti, I have a couple bits imbedded into my skull actually. But, the price has always put me off. I just can't blow extra money on a handle as opposed to sprint steel. If it were Ti/S90V or something along those lines I'd probably sell a kidney to buy one. Another thing is, Ti adds a good amount of weight, and one thing I particularly love about the Military is how light it is for how much knife you get.

As far as new knives coming out, I honestly don't have anything major on my radar. I'm still on the fence about the Domino, but the large G10 Kiwi is a guaranteed buy for me. I'll buy just about anything Spyderco puts out with a wharnie blade. Of course, there's still the S90V Yojimbo 2 and Manix 2 LX that I'm very interested in, especially the Yo 2, so I guess more along the lines of future sprints than new models.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

Hopefully now I can get my hands on one. I wish I could have snagged a Native 5. Those things are elusive as well.
Spyderco's on preorder: Native 5 S110V, Military Cru-wear, Delica 4 Super Blue Sprint.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Bummer. I think the blue looked great.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I was still saving my pennies..... guess the secondary market value will start to creep upward now. :(
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Sad news
xceptnl wrote:I was still saving my pennies..... guess the secondary market value will start to creep upward now. :(
+1 most likely sky rocketing :rolleyes:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
butch

Post by butch »

just read the email and im wandering what the issue is with making the color right. my only guess woudl be that the coolent used while milling is some how keeping the phosphate from reacting properly at voltage. ano. Ti is not too hard so long as the parts are clean. maybe i ll pick one up and see
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Evil D wrote:...Another thing is, Ti adds a good amount of weight, and one thing I particularly love about the Military is how light it is for how much knife you get.
This about sums it up for me. I love that you get a 4 inch blade in a 4 oz. knife with the standard Military. The extra weight and cost of the Ti is a big turn-off for me.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

I received the mail today, and I think it's gonna make no difference at all.

I mean, the Ti Mili is one of those models that you just can't find anywhere, not even digging under the rocks
:rolleyes: Blue, Silver, Ti Mili in any color will always be Mission Impossible to find, no matter what.
Stay Sharp!
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

This makes me even happier to know I have this :D

[ATTACH]22700[/ATTACH]
Attachments
20130831_092605.jpg
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

This makes me even happier to know that I have this :D

[ATTACH]22701[/ATTACH]
Attachments
20130831_092605.jpg
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

senorsquare wrote:This about sums it up for me. I love that you get a 4 inch blade in a 4 oz. knife with the standard Military. The extra weight and cost of the Ti is a big turn-off for me.
Ditto that.