Old military models

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kangal

Old military models

Post by Kangal »

Does anybody know when the two-screw clip was replaced by the three screw clip? It must have probably been still in 1996 or early in 1997.

During the first production period there were millies with ATS34 and CPM440V steel. When were the last millies with ATS34 produced? Some sources say 98, some say 99, others say 2000 as you see in former threads.

The early military models with black blade were produced only for a short period of time afaiak. When did Spyderco stop producing of BB millies?

Is it correct that the change to S30V blades was in 2003 and this was the rebirth of millies with black blades?

Anyone knows about the different G-10 liner texturing on the old models?

Thanks for your input! :-)
JD Spydo

At One Time ATS-34 was king of Blade Steels

Post by JD Spydo »

On the ATS-34 editions of the C-36 Military model I would say it had to be around 1999. Because that was the year that 440V Spyderco models started showing up on the landscape. I was told that the 2 fully serrated 440V models that I had at one time were made in 2000.

It was around 2003 and probably even the latter part of 03 when the S30V models. I remember when the 03 models came out it was a long time before I could score any of the Spyders with S30V. I believe it was 1996 when the C-36 Military was first introduced. It's hard to believe that at one time the Spyders that were made with ATS-34 were regarded almost as high as the ZDP-189 and S90V Spyders are now.

The late 90s and early 2000s was probably the biggest transition period in Spyderco history. The Native model also had a similar evolution process as the Military model did at the time.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Kangal

Post by Kangal »

JD Spydo wrote:On the ATS-34 editions of the C-36 Military model I would say it had to be around 1999. Because that was the year that 440V Spyderco models started showing up on the landscape.
They started off with ATS34 in 1996. The 1997 catalog does not mention 34's anymore, just 440V's. But for what reason ever, both steels were used until early 1999 afaik.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I do know there were both 2- and 3-screw 440V knives made.
JD Spydo

Re:

Post by JD Spydo »

JNewell wrote:I do know there were both 2- and 3-screw 440V knives made.
Now that's a new one on me :confused: I didn't know that there were two-screw Military models? I have had several of the Military models over the years and I"ve personally never owned a two Screw Military model. And I've had the 440V and ATS-34 models both.

Also I'm wondering during the mid to late 90s were ATS-34 and 440V the only blade steels they made the Military in? Because I've never seen them in the 90s in any other steel other than those two selections.

Also what year was it that they discontinued the fully serrated Military?
Stuart Ackerman

Re: Old military models

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I had a sterile PE Military in 1997 / 98 in CPM 440V...one of ten...and two screw clip...
JD Spydo

Re: Old military models

Post by JD Spydo »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:I had a sterile PE Military in 1997 / 98 in CPM 440V...one of ten...and two screw clip...
Now this brings up another question>> because one of the most Holy Grail of Spyderco collectors is the hallowed "Two Screw Worker" C-01 model. But I thought that two screw Worker model went al the way back to the late 80s/early 90s. So with the C-36 Military model with the two screw clip I'm now wondering what year that came about>> if my memory serves me well I think 1996 was when the C-36 Military was born>> so I'm assuming that it was only on the earliest models.

Also I'm wondering what year all of these Sprint Military models got off the ground? It seems like the BG-49 and S90V models were around 08 or 09??
JNewell

Re: Re:

Post by JNewell »

JD Spydo wrote:
JNewell wrote:I do know there were both 2- and 3-screw 440V knives made.
Now that's a new one on me :confused: I didn't know that there were two-screw Military models? I have had several of the Military models over the years and I"ve personally never owned a two Screw Military model. And I've had the 440V and ATS-34 models both.

Also I'm wondering during the mid to late 90s were ATS-34 and 440V the only blade steels they made the Military in? Because I've never seen them in the 90s in any other steel other than those two selections.

Also what year was it that they discontinued the fully serrated Military?
Just to clarify, my knowledge here is based on the fact that my older son (28YO) owns one of the 2-screw 440V C36s.