Cruwear Military ETA

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Clip wrote:Cruwear - Cru = Crucible. Not sure it's a PM steel though, so no CPM.
Sal's post on BF was another casual bombshell from a few days ago. He mentioned he was carrying the production piece and that it was CPM....... huge shocker out of left field!

Sal Glesser wrote:I should probably mention that the Cruwear Military is CPM Cruwear. :eek: The first powdered Cruwear to be used in production. I'm sure enjoying mine.

sal
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Clip wrote:Cruwear - Cru = Crucible. Not sure it's a PM steel though, so no CPM.
It is CPM. Think Sal posted this a couple of days ago.
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

Please don't release this knife until next Friday. :o
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The CPM part was what hooked me on this knife. I had about convinced myself that it would be crazy for me to buy a right handed Military when I have a left handed one in S30V and I didn't think I liked gray G-10.

Meanwhile:
1) I bought a Gray SB Caly 3 (Didn't think I liked gray or 3" blade but wanted the SB and to have the Caly in both sizes) This SB Caly 3 is currently my fave EDC.

2) I tried my LH Millie in my right pocket and learned how to deploy it just about as well wrong-handed as I could left handed, and also learned how to close it pretty well with my right hand.

3) Sal said this was the first ever production run of a CPM Cruwear knife.

#3 was the zinger. So now that I'd decided against it and all the dealer waiting lists were maxed out (and I'd just gone berserk and ordered 3 knives at once --> <$0.00 left) I found out I had to have one. Why do I always wind up in this situation :confused:

Also, it's strange that I never seem to know what I'm gonna like the best until I have it in hand.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

DougC-3 wrote:...Also, it's strange that I never seem to know what I'm gonna like the best until I have it in hand.
It's not that strange... the eye can deceive however the hands will often tell it true!
*Landon*
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

xceptnl wrote:It's not that strange... the eye can decieve however the hands will often tell it true!
Now that you mention it I can think of other areas of life where people choose things based on appearance only and have second thoughts later ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Clip

Post by Clip »

Awesome, didn't know it was powder!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I was looking over the product sheets here: http://www.nsm-ny.com/index.cfm?fuseact ... page_id=35

In comparing Ingot to Powder Cruwear the differences are what I expected. A little bit tougher impact scores ( extra 5 lb at same hardness for powder version) with slightly less Adhesive wear scores. I'm not really sure adhesive wear is something that is really very noticeable on a knife steel. Abrasive scores were not given but I don't expect much if any difference.

What I might notice in Powder steels is the finer grain structure and smaller carbides over what you would get from an ingot steel of the same composition heat treated the same way. Some might notice, some may not. I believe Cliff Stamp didn't think the typical numbers involved were noticeable to humans, I'm not sure I agree ( going by memory, I could be incorrect in what Cliff said).

In general I do feel I notice the effect we have talked about where steel performs better after a couple of sharpenings has removed some steel to a greater extent in the higher alloyed powder steels than I do in simpler ingot steels, O-1 being an example I've spoken about.

I feel the powder steels are cleaner, easier to sharpen ( even after some steel has been removed) for the same chemistry and hardness. CPM 154 vs 154cm being a classic example. I like the powder steel much better. I will probably like CPM Cruwear for the same reason I prefer CPM 154 over 154cm.

I'm really looking forward to this, and have even been more excited about trying it in CPM Cruwear. Looking at Niagara it is obvious that the powder process has added costs. It's expensive steel.

All in all it just keeps getting better and better the more I learn about this sprint. It's nice to See that Sal didn't waste potential by a heat treat and hardness that didn't go for a good balance of wear and toughness. They seemed to pick a sweet spot for the steel that should appeal across the board. That is no surprise though. They always seem too. Not the highest, but far from a low hardness either. Just right for a hard use knife with a 4 inch blade that needs a certain amount of toughness, wear resistance and sharpenability.

If I designed this sprint I can't think of anything I would have changed. I even like the color selected. I can't wait to get one in my hot hands now. Remember though. Like 3V, if the rust is allowed to stay, it will pit. The depth can surprise you. Don't sweat rust spots on the blade after a day at work out in the sun in Texas but don't forget it when you get home either. Rinse the salt off and give it a quick wipe down. Silicone gun cloths are perfect for that and easily available at big box store sporting goods sections for $2.99.

Now, back to waiting.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Mastiff wrote:I was looking over the product sheets here: http://www.nsm-ny.com/index.cfm?fuseact ... page_id=35

In comparing Ingot to Powder Cruwear the differences are what I expected. A little bit tougher impact scores ( extra 5 lb at same hardness for powder version) with slightly less Adhesive wear scores. I'm not really sure adhesive wear is something that is really very noticeable on a knife steel. Abrasive scores were not given but I don't expect much if any difference.

What I might notice in Powder steels is the finer grain structure and smaller carbides over what you would get from an ingot steel of the same composition heat treated the same way. Some might notice, some may not. I believe Cliff Stamp didn't think the typical numbers involved were noticeable to humans, I'm not sure I agree ( going by memory, I could be incorrect in what Cliff said).

In general I do feel I notice the effect we have talked about where steel performs better after a couple of sharpenings has removed some steel to a greater extent in the higher alloyed powder steels than I do in simpler ingot steels, O-1 being an example I've spoken about.

I feel the powder steels are cleaner, easier to sharpen ( even after some steel has been removed) for the same chemistry and hardness. CPM 154 vs 154cm being a classic example. I like the powder steel much better. I will probably like CPM Cruwear for the same reason I prefer CPM 154 over 154cm.

I'm really looking forward to this, and have even been more excited about trying it in CPM Cruwear. Looking at Niagara it is obvious that the powder process has added costs. It's expensive steel.

All in all it just keeps getting better and better the more I learn about this sprint. It's nice to See that Sal didn't waste potential by a heat treat and hardness that didn't go for a good balance of wear and toughness. They seemed to pick a sweet spot for the steel that should appeal across the board. That is no surprise though. They always seem too. Not the highest, but far from a low hardness either. Just right for a hard use knife with a 4 inch blade that needs a certain amount of toughness, wear resistance and sharpenability.

If I designed this sprint I can't think of anything I would have changed. I even like the color selected. I can't wait to get one in my hot hands now. Remember though. Like 3V, if the rust is allowed to stay, it will pit. The depth can surprise you. Don't sweat rust spots on the blade after a day at work out in the sun in Texas but don't forget it when you get home either. Rinse the salt off and give it a quick wipe down. Silicone gun cloths are perfect for that and easily available at big box store sporting goods sections for $2.99.

Now, back to waiting.

Joe
Thanks for sharing that link as well as your thoughts and observations Joe.
*Landon*
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Anyone know where there are still pre-orders for this one open?

Thanks!
On the hunt for...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I only know of KC taking pre-orders and as late in the game as it is since the initial news went up on their site I would say that is a gamble. It could be worth the chance though, they refund deposits if they can't fill the order.
*Landon*
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

The Mastiff wrote:I used to have a picture of my last mastiff, Hunter. Somebody took one of me giving him his after walk treat. It really showed how large these guys mouths are. It looked like one of those great white shark pictures but in dog form. I'm used to them. I give Finn meds three times a day or more by putting the medicine down near his throat. My hand disappears in his mouth and his front teeth are about halfway up to my elbow. If he bit down my hand would end up in his stomach, no exaggeration. Fortunately he is not real inclined to hurt, or eat his family.

That is a cool picture though Cheddarnut. The Mastiff looks like he is smiling.

:)
smiling in anticipation ;)
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

xceptnl wrote:I only know of KC taking pre-orders and as late in the game as it is since the initial news went up on their site I would say that is a gamble. It could be worth the chance though, they refund deposits if they can't fill the order.
Its showing Discontinued on KC's website. Also I've had a few pre-orders thru them and never had them take actual cash payments at the time the pre-order was placed..they don't take payments until the item ships..
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I did an online chat with KC two or three hours ago to see if I could get them to email me when the Cruwear is available. They said no but I could place a pre-order with a note to contact me before shipping the order. (They didn't realize their online pre-orders were closed already.) Wish I'd known that a couple of weeks ago.

I asked if that meant that they wouldn't mind if you canceled an order at that time and they said, "You can cancel an order at any time before shipping. We know we'll easily be able to sell every one of these knives, no worries if this gets cancelled for any reason."

After they realized their pre-orders were already closed, I said I guessed they'd probably already taken a few extra names in case people backed out, but would they take a few more just in case? and they replied, "If you want to give us a call we can manually set up an order, but absolutely no promises at this point for filling a new order."
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

bump with the intention of stirring up mass thought waves to help manifest this product.

We dont have to hold hands, but collective focus is essential.

Close your eyes, deep breath, release

say in your head "we will soon see the cruwear military

the first knife to sell out on preorder without a single image online

it is coming...

it is here"

then quickly fondle all your other spydies to keep your hand occupied.

repeat
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Cheddarnut wrote:bump with the intention of stirring up mass thought waves to help manifest this product.

We dont have to hold hands, but collective focus is essential.

Close your eyes, deep breath, release

say in your head "we will soon see the cruwear military

the first knife to sell out on preorder without a single image online

it is coming...

it is here"

then quickly fondle all your other spydies to keep your hand occupied.

repeat
Right, last week, I could feel it in my bones that it was about to be released, then I ran across a post in an old thread that said it would be released, I believe, in the late summer or in the fall.... gulp... the fall runs to 20 Dec in the Northern Hemisphere this year :( I hope that ETA has been revised.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

DougC-3 wrote:Right, last week, I could feel it in my bones that it was about to be released, then I ran across a post in an old thread that said it would be released, I believe, in the late summer or in the fall.... gulp... the fall runs to 20 Dec in the Northern Hemisphere this year :( I hope that ETA has been revised.
This is direct quote from Sal on BF's: "right now, we're getting ready to start shipping a Millie in Cruwear (Joe's model). I'm using a production piece now."

Sounds like it will be coming out sooner than later to me..

See Post #36 of this thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... -Sal/page2
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

DougC-3 wrote:Right, last week, I could feel it in my bones that it was about to be released, then I ran across a post in an old thread that said it would be released, I believe, in the late summer or in the fall.... gulp... the fall runs to 20 Dec in the Northern Hemisphere this year :( I hope that ETA has been revised.
This is a direct quote from Sal on BF's: "right now, we're getting ready to start shipping a Millie in Cruwear (Joe's model). I'm using a production piece now."

See Post #36 of this thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... -Sal/page3
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Philo Beddoe wrote:This is a direct quote from Sal on BF's: "right now, we're getting ready to start shipping a Millie in Cruwear (Joe's model). I'm using a production piece now."

See Post #36 of this thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...r-Mr-Sal/page2
Thanks for the reminder -- I knew I'd seen something like that somewhere. That cheers me up :)
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

I wonder why no one has received at least a pic to put up on their site to allow us to drool over...

just a lil nibble for scrimshaws sake...