Yojimbo 2: Still Your Choice?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Evil D wrote:It got "some kind" of grind done to it, and then I traded it to Donut for another Yo2, who later had Travis do a full regrind. Pics are floating around here somewhere of it, it looks really good. I'm still debating on sending mine to Travis or not. If it can be reground without losing spine thickness, I think I will eventually.
Thanks much, I will hunt around for the pics, unless Donut wants to throw up another pic. It certainly looks like Travis does some great work, so I'd say go for it. I really enjoy the ergos of that one, it's very "organic" to hold, for lack of a better word. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

Got to say the Yo2 is still a beast, my girlfriend commandeered it for an EDC so I am left with the Black PM2 M390
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

swigert wrote:every time i see you post and see your sig it makes me want one...
Just doing my part as an enabler :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

I've had the Yo2 on my person every day for almost a year now. It's my go-to defense knife, I never tire of practicing deployments with it, and it's always a conversation starter amongst other knife people. I'm looking forward to acquiring another soon!
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm planning another round of ergonomics mods to mine, probably later tonight. Nothing serious, but I'll likely update my pic thread.
~David
Voltron

Post by Voltron »

Looks like a sweet blade! I want one....
Manix 2 all day:spyder:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

Voltron wrote:Looks like a sweet blade! I want one....
no sir, you don't want one at all

You need one!
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

These seem to be on back order everywhere. I wonder when the next batch is coming out?
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Been on the prowl for one, but I have yet to justify the money for it yet... working on it
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
petehd

Re: Yojimbo 2: Still Your Choice?

Post by petehd »

mr janich, i'm not a SD guy(obviously if my family are safe and happpy), but i love the yo 2 because for me is a masterpiece knife design, i know that its created for SD but i think its also an amazing EDC blade and i'm sorry but with all my respect i don't understand why for you the fact of its result a great EDC is humbling
hope to a reply
with a lot of respect petehd
petehd

Re:

Post by petehd »

Michael Janich wrote:Thanks, guys, for your continued enthusiasm for the Yo2. The feedback I've received on it has been overwhelmingly positive and the fact that many people have adopted it as a primary carry piece is humbling. I'm very grateful for your trust in the design.

Stay safe,

Mike
dear mr Janich i think that a design with this versatility is incredibly smart and with respect i don't see any humbling reason in this,i see only great creativity and passion
thanks for the great yo2,for me is the best warn ever made
z4vdBt

Re:

Post by z4vdBt »

Michael Janich wrote:Thanks, guys, for your continued enthusiasm for the Yo2. The feedback I've received on it has been overwhelmingly positive and the fact that many people have adopted it as a primary carry piece is humbling. I'm very grateful for your trust in the design.

Stay safe,

Mike
Just saw your Evolution of video the other day and my Yo2 shipped yesterday. Very excited for her arrival.
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

I love the knife but the tip irritates me a little. I was opening it not long after getting it and it slipped from my hand and fell 4 inches to my Formica desktop and broke the tip off. And, for me, this knife is all about the tip. Now when I see it I am more annoyed and disappointed than happy. Will get another and try to be more careful but the delicate tip just worries me. Not to mention losing the original out of the box tip on a knife is my #1 pet knife peeve.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I FINALLY have one coming in the mail right now. I all but gave up on trying to get one years ago when it was so hard to find in stock. By the time it was more available I had forgotten all about it. Really looking forward to finally trying one!!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It's kind of fun reading these old threads. Flipping Addict, you might consider having it reground a little shorter so you can get the point back. I'm sure you could find someone on the forums here that does regrinds/mods/reprofiles. The tip is thin, I dropped it once, tip first into the carpet and the floor board and stuck standing straight up, thankfully no damage, but I have broken the tip off of brand new $300 dollar karambit before, I feel your pain. Although once the tip is broken, you are free from worry about using it hard. :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Still love my Yo2. Carrying it right now actually.

I'd love to see what the future of Michael Janich's designs are with Spyderco.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Flipping Addict wrote:I love the knife but the tip irritates me a little. I was opening it not long after getting it and it slipped from my hand and fell 4 inches to my Formica desktop and broke the tip off. And, for me, this knife is all about the tip. Now when I see it I am more annoyed and disappointed than happy. Will get another and try to be more careful but the delicate tip just worries me. Not to mention losing the original out of the box tip on a knife is my #1 pet knife peeve.

What I'd do is "wharnie the tip", as in grind it down at an angle a bit steeper than the blade already is. Not a lot, but just enough so that it makes the tip a bit stronger while still keeping it pointy. Somehow the tip got chipped on mine and I reshaped the whole spine to bring it back to a point so it looks factory but I sorta wish I had done the tip a bit steeper.
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Thats a good idea Evil D. The company that makes the karambit I broke the tip off eventually started making all of their new ones with the tip modded. It looks like they shortened it but they actually left more steel at the tip.
.jpg
(2).jpg
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
petehd

Post by petehd »

DEAR GUYS,I KNOW THAT THE TIP OF THE YO2 IS SIMPLE TO BREAK CAUSE THE TICKHNESS BUT WE THINK THAT THE YO2 IT'S ALSO A GREAT EDC,(CARDBOARD,PAPER,APPLE ETC.) NOT A GREAT BUSHCRAFT KNIFE.
SO APPRECIATE THE KNIFE FOR WATH IT IS WITH IT'S PRO AND CONS, BECAUSE,(IN MY CASE) WHEN IT IS IN MY POCKET I'M NOT ALONE, FOR ALL GUYS THAT THINK OF THE YO2 ISN''T A GOOD BOTH SD\EDC KNIFE,MY COUCIL IS TO BUY A SWISS ARMY KNIFE OR A LEATHERMAN.
AND REMEMBER,IF YOUR LOVE\SOON\BROS ETC. IS NOT IN REALLY DANGEROUS SITUATION DON'T THINK TO DEFEND YOURSELF TO STABBING PEOPLE, IS THE WORST IDEA,IF YOU ARE ALONE IN A REAL BAD LIFE SITUATION WITH A BAD GUYS THAT WANT SCARE YOU WITH A KNIFE,LISTEN TO ME,
RUN,RUN AND DONT LOOK BACK,
THIS IS DEFENSE YOURSELF.
BECAUSE IF YOU THINK THAT IS SIMPLE DEFENSE YOURSELF IN A KNIFE FIGHT PROBABLY YOU DIE
KNIFE IS A TOOL AND SOMETIMES AN ARTISTIC TOOL (LOOK THE CHRIS REEVE TI LOCK,MY GEM) AND THINK TO IT LIKE THIS NOT LIKE A WEAPON
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Straight into my pocket for EDC.