Custom Wave mod on Spyderco Persistence

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Forrest

Custom Wave mod on Spyderco Persistence

Post by Forrest »

Does anybody know the process of how to make a custom wave on the Spyderco Persistence? I know there is poor man's waving, however I have heard of people doing something with the opening hole making to where it is like a wave on most Emerson knives.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I would ruin the opening hole. U don't need a big wave like on spyderco knives. All u need is a little sharp indent into the spine, like on the dpx knife. It's easier to do and works just fine
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

it's easy to do. I wouldn't mess with the hole IMO. Grind the spine and then use a diamond bit on a dremel tool to make the hook.

edit: found a pic. I waved the new matriarch before spyderco decided to do it themselves. the red part is where you put it up against the grinder. Wet it frequently so it doesnt get too hot. Then use the dremel bit and you should be good to go.

WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

You can make a "poor man's wave" pretty easily by wrapping a zip tie around the top of the spyder hole. The zip tie lock can be used as a catch to "wave" the knife open.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Poor mans wave is easy and doesn't give you the chance to ruin to knife on the grinder.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

tonydahose wrote:it's easy to do. I wouldn't mess with the hole IMO. Grind the spine and then use a diamond bit on a dremel tool to make the hook.

edit: found a pic. I waved the new matriarch before spyderco decided to do it themselves. the red part is where you put it up against the grinder. Wet it frequently so it doesnt get too hot. Then use the dremel bit and you should be good to go.

That's a pretty impressive job, nice work Tony!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would think a zip-tie on a Persistence would be great. Liner-locks have very little opening resistance compared to some locks (like lockbacks). That and due to the blade-shape you would have to grind quite a bit away for it to work properly.
Lost Jaguar

Post by Lost Jaguar »

Send it to STR, who is a member of this forum, and has his own sub-forum on Bladeforums, and he'll do it quickly, cheaply, and with the consent of Mr. Emerson. The knives that he has "waved" for me exhibit fine workmanship and, with practice, opening consistency on a par with, and in some cases, better, than those knives with factory waves.
Prepare for Anything, Expect Nothing
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Lost Jaguar wrote:Send it to STR, who is a member of this forum, and has his own sub-forum on Bladeforums, and he'll do it quickly, cheaply, and with the consent of Mr. Emerson. The knives that he has "waved" for me exhibit fine workmanship and, with practice, opening consistency on a par with, and in some cases, better, than those knives with factory waves.
Is he still doing this? I was under the impression STR had put a hold on much beyond his mini Ti pry bars and a couple other products.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

I don't know if STR is still doing them or not. I tried to get a license from Mr Emerson but it didn't happen. That's why I will only wave my own knives.
My knives
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

tonydahose wrote:I don't know if STR is still doing them or not. I tried to get a license from Mr Emerson but it didn't happen. That's why I will only wave my own knives.
You Matriarch is flatter on the spine than my factory waved example, but otherwise looks stock. In fact it looks just like the Waved Endura. For what it's worth, you have my kudos.

Forrest

Post by Forrest »

Oh, I see, thank you very much! Im new to the spyderco forums and generaly new to the knife community, thanks for your reply! :D
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

thank you for everybody's reply! people in this forum are very nice! it makes me feel welcome to not just the knife community, but to the spyderco community too. :D
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

This is not my picture but I've done stuff like this in the past for people.its not my cup of tea but it works.

There used to be an ebay guy that made kydex waves for spyderco's by folding kydex over the spine and bolting a rubber washer in the spyder hole.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
mrphotoman

Post by mrphotoman »

I would just either buy a knife with a wave or use the zip tie instead of grinding it up and ruining the looks of the knife with a hack job.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

mrphotoman wrote:I would just either buy a knife with a wave or use the zip tie instead of grinding it up and ruining the looks of the knife with a hack job.
if you pratice on some butter knives for instance (just getting the grinding part down correctly) you can do a decent job on a knife. plus for some people it is a "I did that." pride thing and maybe you really like a particular model but Spyderco doesn't offer it with a wave.
My knives
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

thats a cool example! I might do the butter knife thing thank you!
mrphotoman

Post by mrphotoman »

You guys have a folding butter knife lol? Please post photos!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

mrphotoman wrote:You guys have a folding butter knife lol? Please post photos!
here ya go, I'm still working on getting the butter to not get stuck in all the holes though

My knives
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

hahaha! I would buy that butterknife!