Blue FRN Spydercos and ethics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
coachnj

Blue FRN Spydercos and ethics

Post by coachnj »

Hey all, I'm a long time watcher and first time poster. After a few "mistakes" years ago, I've been solely purchasing Spydercos. I have two questions for you guys and they both go to the subject line.
1. What are all the sprint runs in blue FRN with ZDP-189? I have a Delica and a Strecth II in this setup and might be addicted to the color and steel.
2. As far as ethics... Does Sal sleep well at night knowing that people like me have a new baby but spend way to much time and money looking for Spydercos? I can't tell you how many times I've said, after this (Sage 1, PM2, Stretch, Caly, whatever) I'll stop buying new knives. But then the Caly comes out in Superblue or whatever and I'm trying to find ways to buy it without my wife finding out. I don't think she'll understand when I say that Sal made me do it. Kids these days have too much stuff anyway...

Thanks for all the help guys.
Jurgs
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I think he sleeps very well. He knows we are addicted, but also knows we have taste and common sense. I know you were speaking somewhat in jest, but I would bet my latest Spydie that 8/10 members here would trade all their spydies for a family member, let alone a new baby. We all struggle with this (unless you have limitless funds) decision to buy a spydie or sell two because the money is needed elsewhere. I have enjoyed my spydie roller-coaster ride because it paralleled a wonderful part of my personal life. Having great knives come and go, captured and missed has taught me what really matters (as well as what models really work for me.) Remember to find the knife that made you the happiest and buy a second one to give your child one day.... you will have a great story about why it was your favorite and why you had the foresight to buy one for your child! Great first post and welcome.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I do like that blue color that was used for the stretch in ZDP. I really would like to see that color but G10 used on something cool...something that I would really like at least. I tend to have slightly different tastes than a lot here in a lot of cases.

Hmm...new Michael Walker in M4 with the sort of Stretch blue....oh heck yes.
On the hunt for...
coachnj

Post by coachnj »

I should add that question 1 is serious. The second question is all in jest.
---------"Programs don't change people, people change people."----------
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

I absolutely love the Blueish FRN combined with ZDP-189.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Know the feeling :D don't have ZDP though was very tempted to get the Endura in BRG and ZDP.
But opted for the FRN VG10 in blue love it wickedly sharp , light and grips like a vice with the Bi directional scales.
I had a prejudice against FRN in looks and never liked back locks either I just think/thought they can lessen the profile of a blade .
Whereas a liner will look sleeker but now I have the Endura , matriach 2 , another matriach the lil on the list and plan on trying to get the white FRN Endura sprint .
Welcome to the madness ;) Sals a top fella too proper hands on old school gent .

Xcetptnl like your thinking I made a vow never to sell any I buy its starting to get to the point where I now need sizeable storage .
My kids already are picking out ones for me to leave them but I won't be handing down the knives untill then .
Ill buy them some though my youngest daughter is more interested than the boys , she has great control and the right manner to be trusted with a sharp knife.
The boys well I gave my lad 13 a khukuri to chop some wood and he started throwing it into trees .
Quite impressively he got it in a few times too before I became a spoil sport .
But I must add I forsake nearly everything for my hobby , no drinking less on clothes going out etc .
But its worth every penny :) .
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I do like that blue on the Stretch and Delica ZDP. It was the ZDP color and it was replaced by British RG. Both great colors. I'd like to pick up another Blue Stretch because I like it so much. My mint in box will stay that way :)
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I actually took the FRN off my ZDP delica and replaced it with G-10 scales (that I bought from Cuscadi).

I think I like the BRG color better than the blue, in the FRN, though.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

AFAIK, the blue FRN Stretch wasn't a Sprint Run. Spyderco just decided, for whatever reason, that they wanted all the FRN/ZDP knives to have green handles, so the switched it over. Of the three FRN handle colors that have been available on the Stretch, to date, I prefer the blue, I just wish they'd bring it back and pair it with a VG-10 blade.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

To answer the original poster's question: as far as I know the Stretch and Delica were the only knives spyderco released with that particular blue FRN and the ZDP 189 steel. The stretch is super hard to find while the Delica is quite a bit more easy but will usually set you back 2 times the cost of a regular Delica in the secondary market. As stated there are other knives that have been released with the ZDP-189 steel even down to the dragonfly but not in that color FRN handle. But anyways, welcome to the forum. I am also forever in search of a blue ZDP-189 stretch.... it is "that knife" that if I get it... I think i'd be satisfied......... but i know better!!!!! :rolleyes:
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi Jurgs, welcome to the forums :) As a father of two young kids, I can certainly relate to your predicament! You'll have to throw up some pics of your other family members, meaning your knives ;)

As others have said, Spyderco seems to have only used this particular shade of blue on these two models. Per my Edge-U-Cation sheet on the Stretch, they refer to the shade as "Midnight Blue". I am not sure what these sheets say exactly color-wise for the currently offered blue FRN Endura and Delica, maybe someone with one of those can chime in on that (I suspect those sheets just say "blue"). I agree with you that the color on the Stretch/Delica is really excellent and that color recipe should be revisited in new FRN-handled offerings in other platforms. ZDP-189 rocks too, never can have enough knives with that steel! Cheers!

[ATTACH]22613[/ATTACH]
Attachments
MidnightBlues.JPG
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

It really should have been used for the SB sprints coming out....
On the hunt for...
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The Deacon wrote:AFAIK, the blue FRN Stretch wasn't a Sprint Run. Spyderco just decided, for whatever reason, that they wanted all the FRN/ZDP knives to have green handles, so the switched it over. Of the three FRN handle colors that have been available on the Stretch, to date, I prefer the blue, I just wish they'd bring it back and pair it with a VG-10 blade.
Were they all the same shade of blue? The faded denim blue color of the original ZDP-189 D3 sprint is one of the most attractive colors I've ever seen, but it's the only Spyderco knife I ever bought with blue FRN scales.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Lucky for me I guess, I prefer the British Racing Green now paired with ZDP in the Japanese knives. :D I'm endeavoring to collect them all in this combo!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I've thought the BRG was a really great color ever since I first saw it, and I finally got the BRG ZDP Stretch. Heretofore I've always thought I much preferred the more "earth tones" on knives. The primaries or "Skittles" colors as somebody called them seemed "unnatural" on knives to me (I guess I'm implying knives are natural :) ) But I think you guys are shifting some cogs in my head. That blue ZDP Stretch really looks great. I'll have to look out for it and the blue Delica.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

It is possible to die grey scales like those on the SB sprints to certain colors and blues are one of them. I plan on applying a blue Rit one of the grey Stretches I'm getting.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

FCM415 wrote:It is possible to die grey scales like those on the SB sprints to certain colors and blues are one of them. I plan on applying a blue Rit one of the grey Stretches I'm getting.
I plan to try to copy you!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JNewell wrote:Were they all the same shade of blue? The faded denim blue color of the original ZDP-189 D3 sprint is one of the most attractive colors I've ever seen, but it's the only Spyderco knife I ever bought with blue FRN scales.
I don't have one of those. I do have two blue Delica 3's but one is ATS-55 and the other iss VG-10. The only blue ZDP-189 Delica I have is a D4. That D4 and Stretch are the same shade of blue. The D3 is different, I'd describe it as both lighter and brighter. Of the various shades of blue FRN that Spyderco has used, my personal favorite is the dark, vibrant shade used on the BF Forum Spyderhawk, the Spyderco Forum Native III, and the 79mm Rescue.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

My error - I was crossing the D3 and the D4, but meant D4! :eek: :) That's a great picture - thanks very much. :spyder:
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

2 on the rt end are KOOL!! Nice color!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)