How best to shorten blade on Domino

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WorkingEdge

How best to shorten blade on Domino

Post by WorkingEdge »

Hello - so the Domino's 3 1/8 inch blade from tip to scale is technically longer than I can carry clipped. Since it is so close, I am considering trying to shave off some length. :eek:

Any thoughts on whether it is better to grind down from the spine or grind up from the edge to form a new apex that is 1/8 inch shorter than original?

Was planning on doing this by hand with some course stones / diamond plates I have but I do have a Dremel as well.

Thanks for any input.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Grind down the spine, if you take it from the edge you risk exposing the edge as the scales might not cover it. I'd try to do it on a belt sander as you'd get a lot more even results than using a dremel. Watch the heat though!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Definitely grind the spine. I did it on my old Paramilitary for the same reason. If you blend the spine well enough you barely notice the difference. If anything you end up with a very slight leaf shaped spine, which I thought was pretty sweet looking.

OMG Photobucket can suck it.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

At least you are popoular Evil :D
Holland

Post by Holland »

haha, thats why i made 2 photobucket accounts :D definitely grind down the spine :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Holland wrote:haha, thats why i made 2 photobucket accounts :D definitely grind down the spine :)
I'm on my second account already. So stupid. I deleted a bunch of old pics off my first account but I guess it's a monthly bandwidth cap...I dunno.
~David
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

Down from the spine it is. 0.14 inches to achieve a length of 2.99 inches, that is, when I get the nerve to do it on my new blade.

thanks, everyone.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

WorkingEdge wrote:Down from the spine it is. 0.14 inches to achieve a length of 2.99 inches, that is, when I get the nerve to do it on my new blade.

thanks, everyone.
Just measure periodically as you go and you'll be fine.
~David
paladin

Post by paladin »

too funny...that Para 2 spine job looks factory!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
DoKnowHarm

Post by DoKnowHarm »

i would say dont touch it. i really doubt a cop or any type of law enforcement will be able to tell the difference of an 1/8 inch or really care.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea I vote spine. That way you aren't adding unnecessary belly but rather making the tip more wharny-ish.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

DoKnowHarm wrote:i would say dont touch it. i really doubt a cop or any type of law enforcement will be able to tell the difference of an 1/8 inch or really care.
This. Be responsible and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

ASmitty wrote:This. Be responsible and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
You guys are right but the law does exist. Most officers I asked couldn't tell me what the law actually is, but I know and I would be breaking it if I clipped it in my pocket.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

You might want to make it 2.95" to be sure. Just in case they 'accidentally' measure incorrectly. :)
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I understand your anxiety with the applicable laws in your area and hope this modification turns out exactly how you want it to. Take it slow and keep the blade as cool as possible, have a water bucket handy and dip it frequently. You don't want to screw the heat treat up which is what I would be most concerned about. Post photos when you get it finished up.
WorkingEdge wrote:You guys are right but the law does exist. Most officers I asked couldn't tell me what the law actually is, but I know and I would be breaking it if I clipped it in my pocket.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

EvilD- I can see your pictures now and that looks very nice! How is the finish on the spine itself? I just tried last night on an old knife made of AUS10. With my limited tools, the finish on the spine wasn't to my liking (dremel and bench stones / sand paper). Might need to check out the local hardware store to explore equipment upgrades (belt sander I assume?). I would like the spine to match the original or at least be as uniform and as smooth as original.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Evil D wrote:I'm on my second account already. So stupid. I deleted a bunch of old pics off my first account but I guess it's a monthly bandwidth cap...I dunno.
I use Imgur instead of Photoshop for this reason. You can still make an account, albums, etc, or you can just post random photos anonymously for one-time use if you're not worried about cataloguing. No bandwidth cap! And I think it's a bit simpler than some of the other image hosting services, too.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

WorkingEdge wrote:EvilD- I can see your pictures now and that looks very nice! How is the finish on the spine itself? I just tried last night on an old knife made of AUS10. With my limited tools, the finish on the spine wasn't to my liking (dremel and bench stones / sand paper). Might need to check out the local hardware store to explore equipment upgrades (belt sander I assume?). I would like the spine to match the original or at least be as uniform and as smooth as original.
Like you see in the first pic, I originally planned to make the tip sort of like the current Delica/Endura, and have a dead drop at the tip. That eventually turned into transitioning the cutoff all the way back into the spine as far as I could take it without having to completely flatten the whole spine (or in other words make it as leaf shaped as possible). After grinding the tip down I used some 100 grit sandpaper to replicate the sanded finish that the spine already had from the factory...I just sanded the entire spine so it was all one uniform scratch pattern. As far as the black mark itself, that was exactly how much I wanted to remove from the tip, so the blending of the spine after that really didn't change the length at all.

Here are two pics of it before I blended the spine. I much prefer the blended/leaf shaped spine over this.
~David
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

Thanks, EvilD. Will probably experiment on some cheaper knives before messing with this one.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Have you considered sending it in to Spyderco and asking them to do it?

I have a PM2 that had a broken tip and was re-ground by the factory. Aside from being slightly shorter, it's basically perfect.