How best to shorten blade on Domino

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WorkingEdge

Postby WorkingEdge » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:38 pm

TomAiello wrote:Have you considered sending it in to Spyderco and asking them to do it?

I have a PM2 that had a broken tip and was re-ground by the factory. Aside from being slightly shorter, it's basically perfect.
I thought about it. Thought about some of the local knife shops as well. Maybe I'll give them a call. thx.

jlomein

Postby jlomein » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:41 pm

TomAiello wrote:Have you considered sending it in to Spyderco and asking them to do it?

I have a PM2 that had a broken tip and was re-ground by the factory. Aside from being slightly shorter, it's basically perfect.
How much did Spyderco charge? I love my Chaparral, but I want to take it to Asia so it needs about 1" chopped off the blade.

WorkingEdge

Postby WorkingEdge » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:13 am

jlomein wrote:How much did Spyderco charge? I love my Chaparral, but I want to take it to Asia so it needs about 1" chopped off the blade.
Repair of tip is 20+5 for shipping per their website. Not sure about our intent to regrind for shorter length.

ChapmanPreferred

Postby ChapmanPreferred » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:49 am

jlomein wrote:How much did Spyderco charge? I love my Chaparral, but I want to take it to Asia so it needs about 1" chopped off the blade.
I'm fairly certain that this would be considered a request for custom work. I do not believe Spyderco takes that kind of request.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mrphotoman

Postby mrphotoman » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:17 pm

I would get a smaller knife before i would grind off 1" from a good knife

Sonny

Postby Sonny » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:48 am

ChapmanPreferred wrote:I'm fairly certain that this would be considered a request for custom work. I do not believe Spyderco takes that kind of request.
I've requested a slightly shorter blade before with some other very-well-known companies and have been refused. Quite frankly, the only way to get the company to do it...is to snap the tip off of your knife and then send it in. Sounds like a crappy thing, but they won't touch it otherwise, even if you are happy to pay their "custom" fee. I suppose they are too busy to start doing custom work anyway.
I have a belt sander, so could try to knock the tip down "from the spine." I have almost zero experience with that sander for metal, so what grit and type of belt should I look for? It's a 4" from Sears; much larger than what is needed, but all that I have.
Thanks. I run into the 3" legal length situation all of the time when I'm trying to gift to grandkids in certain states.
Sonny

arty

Postby arty » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:21 am

I shortened the blade of a Hi kukri, because of a fault in the steel near the tip. That was easy, since the tips are not hard on that steel. I took most off the spine for that mod.
I decided to take 1 mm off the length of my Rookie to get it under 3" when I lived in IL. It wasn't too difficult with VG10. I took a little from the spine and cutting edge to keep blade shape close to the original pattern. A 1x30" belt sander is perfect for this.
I wouldn't do this with a rotary tool. While you can do it, I would think that it would be easy to overheat the steel, even with slower speeds on a variable speed model.
It should be more difficult to shorten the blade made of XHP. Why not just get a knife with a blade that is 3" or under? You are going to have a lot of handle for the 3" blade.

WorkingEdge

Postby WorkingEdge » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:48 am

Well, I went and bought the most inexpensive belt grinder I can find (Harbor Freight Tools 1x30 inch) and took off 1/8 inch or so to make my Domino just under 3 inches. Will probably refine the new curve of the spine in the future but figure slowly doing so is best as I can't add back material once taken off. I burned a test blade at the tip so as suggested earlier, I went slow and every couple seconds I dipped the blade in a bucket of water. Final finish of spine with some 400 grit sandpaper by hand made it look even and to my preference of finer than factory finish.

Thanks for everyone's advice!

ZL1

Postby ZL1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:54 am

pics!

WorkingEdge

Postby WorkingEdge » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:45 am

Hmmm. Error with pics. Will need to figure out best way to post.

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”