Speculation on the Chaparral 4?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holland

Speculation on the Chaparral 4?

Post by Holland »

The chaparral is my favourite knife and imo perfect in every way! :D So lets have some fun and speculate the next chaparral.

Imo, the series is gonna go one of 2 ways. It will either continue to use titanium scales with different patterns or designs. Or (and what im hoping for) is they will start using different scale materials. I would love love love to see an FRN chaparral, or micarta, or any type of wood.

Thought? :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I thought they announced titanium scales with more detail work on he scales. Which unfortunately raises the price a lot.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Chap 3 is Ti, but Holland (like me) is hoping for something different. I would be happy with something phenolic or a nice wood on a bolstered version! Anyone else share our interest?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

How about different patterns of carbon fiber instead of titanium? There are lots of great CF's out there with different materials weaved in...
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
araneae

Post by araneae »

I would like to see some wood. FRN would be nice if they could make it for about $50. Buffalo horn would be awesome.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'm a huge Chaparral fan, my CF Chap is with me all the time at work. I am hoping for the Chaparral line to move away from Ti. The 2 and 3 look awesome, but I've never been big on metal handles. Also, it's completely subjective, but I've found my enthusiasm for any knife drops rapidly once the price goes past about $150.

I'd be all over some micarta. I like CFNut's suggestion for different styles of CF too, even some grippy peel-ply could be cool. Also been wondering recently why there doesn't seem to be any navy blue G-10?
Donut

Post by Donut »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:How about different patterns of carbon fiber instead of titanium? There are lots of great CF's out there with different materials weaved in...
Maybe we can get that argyle patterned nishijin.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

It would be nice to see ti with wood inlays similar to what CRK does with the Mnandi and some of the Sebenzas. Sounds expensive though.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

xceptnl wrote: I would be happy with something phenolic or a nice wood on a bolstered version! Anyone else share our interest?
I do not own Chap yet, but probably will be interested in bolstered version with nice wood or bone. Hopefully there will be no holes on bolsters.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

senorsquare wrote:It would be nice to see ti with wood inlays similar to what CRK does with the Mnandi and some of the Sebenzas. Sounds expensive though.
It doesn't have to be Ti, SS with inlays like Volpe will be fine for me. Will be less expensive.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

I'm envisioning a multicolored Nishijin weave similar to this paracord. :cool:
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

bh49 wrote:I do not own Chap yet, but probably will be interested in bolstered version with nice wood or bone. Hopefully there will be no holes on bolsters.
I just got mine yesterday, Roman. Excellent knife. I waited until the CF switched to XHP as I think that steel fits this knife very well. The CF model is very light weight. Fits the hand nicely and carries great (it's in my pocket now ;) )

Like CFN I support a journey into alternative CF options. There are some great ones out there (though I love the CF used on the 1!)

I don't see FRN as mold costs are probably too high the justify. Sal is not a Micarta fan and wood has proven problematic in recent knives. Like you, I'd also love an unbolstered wood. Maybe Dessert Iron Wood, like your Native!

I'm not in favor of a third titanium model right now. Too many other great options.

Ken
玉鋼
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Bolsters with polished G10 similar to the finish on the Valloton would be nice.
Holland

Post by Holland »

senorsquare wrote:Bolsters with polished G10 similar to the finish on the Valloton would be nice.
That would be cool, what color of g10?
-Spencer

Rotation:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Holland wrote:That would be cool, what color of g10?
RED..... we need more RED
*Landon*
Holland

Post by Holland »

xceptnl wrote:RED..... we need more RED
Red would be amazing! That would be my first choice as well! I'd happily take orange or blue as well
-Spencer

Rotation:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Polished green G-10 could look really classy also. Almost like Jade!
*Landon*
Blade and Flame

Post by Blade and Flame »

xceptnl wrote:Polished green G-10 could look really classy also. Almost like Jade!
Natural (jade green) G10 would look amazing polished.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

kbuzbee wrote:I just got mine yesterday, Roman. Excellent knife. I waited until the CF switched to XHP as I think that steel fits this knife very well. The CF model is very light weight. Fits the hand nicely and carries great (it's in my pocket now ;) )
I don't see FRN as mold costs are probably too high the justify. Sal is not a Micarta fan and wood has proven problematic in recent knives. Like you, I'd also love an unbolstered wood. Maybe Dessert Iron Wood, like your Native!
I'm not in favor of a third titanium model right now. Too many other great options.
Ken
Ken,
One of my local friends has chap1, so I handled it. I like ergos and the lock, but not too crazy about current scale materials. The blade shape (half-hamp) is not favorite, but 2 mm stock will make-up for it. So I am waiting just for right scales. I also do not see FRN for Chap. It is gents knife, which supposed to be elegant, which is hard to imagine with FRN scales, plus cost of mold. Still we never know the future and what I heard in my business, molds made in China can be quite inexpensive.
Unbolstered wood can be an option as well. I believe that even SS bolsters make the knife looks much more luxurious than without them. But as much as I love bolsters, I will take a knife with solid wood scales over knife with bolsters, which have half dozen of holes and screws.
senorsquare wrote:Bolsters with polished G10 similar to the finish on the Valloton would be nice.
+1 Rounded scales will like icing on the cake.
Holland wrote:That would be cool, what color of g10?
Dark green, burgundy or black. Antique Ivory micarta over SS liners will be great.

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Copper or bronze scales :D .