Superblue E4 reflections

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Superblue E4 reflections

Post by twinboysdad »

When it was announced that Superblue would be sandwiched steel in E4/D4/stretch platform I was a bit bummed. I felt my tastes had evolved past FRN and I wanted a solid piece of SB. I missed the SB Caly 3.5 by just a few months and that platform is my EDC and favorite knife ever.

I just got my E4 SB and came to a realization that I will never outgrow FRN in fact I freaking love it. I also forgot what a great platform the FRN knives that were chosen are. I mean what is the best way to compare a new steel than in the exact knife you already have in VG10 or ZDP? Apples to apples right? Also regarding the sandwiched Superblue, thank you Sal and Eric and team Spydie for allowing the cost of mfg to be low enough so that some of us who otherwise would not get to taste from the high brow bottle get a great super steel to play with. I have no performance review yet other than I do have patina and really love everything so far. Have not resharpened but look forward to a lot of fun with this steel.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Exactly. Everytime I pick up a new FRN knife I fall in love all over again. I'm waiting for the Superblue Stretch (maybe Dragonfly), but am very excited about this run of knives.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Tabo

Post by Tabo »

I am really loving mine. Spyderco's FRN handles are the bomb! I am really thinking of picking up the Ladybug version also when it comes out. As with yours twinboysdad I have a patina started just after cutting some potatoes for lunch.

twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

also is the coating on the clip nicer than regular E4? Seems almost powder coated vs painted. Loving it still and volunteering for all fruit cutting duties!!
JAYJAY

Post by JAYJAY »

Tabo wrote:I am really loving mine. Spyderco's FRN handles are the bomb! I am really thinking of picking up the Ladybug version also when it comes out. As with yours twinboysdad I have a patina started just after cutting some potatoes for lunch.

Nice endura! Hey tabo nice to see a fellow Pittsburgher what part of Pittsburgh you from?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I really enjoy the way Superblue sharpens, the edge it can take and the little bit of bite it gets when not over polished. There was never a day I thought I'd see a Super Blue Endura. It was wishful thinking. Spyderco amazes me again. Thanks Sal and Spyderco team.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The Mastiff wrote:Thanks Sal and Spyderco team.Joe
Here, here!

-Jeremy
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Twinboydad,

FRN and it's cousins is a great material. Thanx much to Blackie Collins for bringing this material to our industry.

sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

And thanks Sal for listening when we asked for more super blue.

We asked and you answered. :)
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... a-Interest
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
TSchloz

Post by TSchloz »

Looking forward to all the new models with Super Blue.

Tom
Niles

Post by Niles »

Where are you guys getting the SB enduras? Club members? As far as I can tell, it's still unavailable...?
Do no harm. Do know harm.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Niles wrote:Where are you guys getting the SB enduras? Club members? As far as I can tell, it's still unavailable...?
Small quantities are being shipped to several of the usual stores which sell sprint runs. I got on mailing lists for notification from at least three stores. I ordered mine from KnifeWorks. It may say "Out of stock" but when you click on it you may get an option to add to cart and purchase anyway--just a webpage glitch :) If they say they've run out, it probably doesn't mean they won't be getting more IMHO.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Tabo

Post by Tabo »

JAYJAY wrote:Nice endura! Hey tabo nice to see a fellow Pittsburgher what part of Pittsburgh you from?
Out towards Robinson township. You?
JAYJAY

Post by JAYJAY »

Tabo wrote:Out towards Robinson township. You?
I live in Brentwood, I go to Robinson mall all the time :D
nccole

Post by nccole »

Tabo wrote:I am really loving mine. Spyderco's FRN handles are the bomb! I am really thinking of picking up the Ladybug version also when it comes out. As with yours twinboysdad I have a patina started just after cutting some potatoes for lunch.

That looks really cool with the patina, is there a slight patina on the spine as well. I can see the ZDP-189 core in my Caly 3 all the way to the spine.
Donut

Post by Donut »

My Super Blue Endura came in today.

Can someone tell me why if it isn't sandwich laminated, there are lamination lines on the spine of the blade? I think I just need to put some fruit juice on the spine and see what it does.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Got mine too! I like it a lot. Pretty sure it's sandwich laminated, I can see the SB core all the way around the knife including the tang.

The right side of mine shows more of the SB steel which I like.

Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

It would be really interesting to see a run of White #1 to see if there was a functional difference between it and SB in this particular production setting.