What to get next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chipped Karambit

What to get next?

Post by Chipped Karambit »

Finally back into the US from living abroad for quite some time. Feels good to have my EDCs back and able to carry but I realize there is something I am missing. So I am here to ask you guys for your opinions.

Should I get a Spyderco Southard, or a Spyderco Gayle Bradley Air?

Reasons to support are always appreciated
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Neither :D those models were so like ....yesterday guess that what happens when you move abroad ;) .

If you've not got the big V yet try her .
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

Love my Southard. Don't have an Air. It appears back in stock at Spyderco so maybe retailers will be getting some back in stock as well? Was probably on the same boat as the Domino. :D
Chipped Karambit

Bladekeeper wrote:Neither :D those models were so like ....yesterday guess that what happens when you move abroad ;) .

If you've not got the big V yet try her .
V?? Sadly I was abroad during the K390 rush.....
WorkingEdge wrote:Love my Southard. Don't have an Air. It appears back in stock at Spyderco so maybe retailers will be getting some back in stock as well? Was probably on the same boat as the Domino. :D
I need the angles and thickness of the southard over the domino. Either one I can hunt. I am a determined seeker when it comes to a knife I want
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

Chipped Karambit wrote:Should I get a Spyderco Southard, or a Spyderco Gayle Bradley Air?
I've not tried either yet so my suggestion is Domino. :)
Bladekeeper wrote:If you've not got the big V yet try her .
She is a looker. I'd love to get my hands on that. :D
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey CK,
I've not got the Bradley, so I can't comment on that one.

The Southard is a great knife, IMHO.
Fit and finish on mine is near perfect, locks up solid, and has no play in any direction.
It's very ergonomic for my small hands, and is comfortable in numerous grips.
The flipping action is effortless once broken in, and opens very smoothly.
There's no stickiness to the lock, and my lock bar hasn't budged since I got the knife.
The Southard is pricey, but I feel it's worth the coin.
Good luck in your quest, and let us know what you end up with.
BTW, welcome back to the U.S.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

V?? Sadly I was abroad during the K390 rush.....

Sorry being the sad pervert I am I name my knives the big V = Valerie Vallotton :D .
JD Spydo

C-44 Dyad & Southfork

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm still waiting for the C-44 Dyad Sprint to come out>> but in the meantime I've just about got my funds ready to pounce on a Southfork which is my next fixed blade Spyder without a doubt.

I'm loving these Sprint runs we've had in the past 2 years or so. But as folders go the Dyad is at the very top of my "gotta have" list.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Cool lanyard on that Southard sharpguitarist! Is it just knotted on one end and pulled into the tube? Sorry if that's a dumb question...

The Southard is basiclally nearly a Military size blade in a very tight handle that fits very comfortably in the hand, plus it has a very high blade to handle ratio (on the order of a Caly 3.5 for both that ratio and overall handle size), and it has a flipper. It is a beater of a knife. If you can find one, get it ASAP. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Cool lanyard on that Southard sharpguitarist! Is it just knotted on one end and pulled into the tube? Sorry if that's a dumb question...

The Southard is basiclally nearly a Military size blade in a very tight handle that fits very comfortably in the hand, plus it has a very high blade to handle ratio (on the order of a Caly 3.5 for both that ratio and overall handle size), and it has a flipper. It is a beater of a knife. If you can find one, get it ASAP. :)
Hey Rs,
Thanks!
I've started making all my fobs like that.
I just feed a single strand of cord through the lanyard tube or hole, and burn the end, creating a "ball" on the end that's larger than the diameter of the hole.
In doing so, the ball wont pull through, and I don't have a loop over the handle spine.
The fob hangs only on the clip side of the handle and hangs over the pocket without sticking out.
It also makes the grip more comfortable because the cord isnt pressed into the heel of my hand.
Hope that made some kind of sense.....ha.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Chipped Karambit

JD Spydo wrote:I've just about got my funds ready to pounce on a Southfork which is my next fixed blade Spyder without a doubt.
That was my last purchase. For Vday I got my girl a Nishijin lum and me a south fork. Going to break it in well with a nice boar hunt and maybe an alligator hunt. It is a definite must have for any one who has a kitchen or steps outside.
sharpguitarist wrote: The Southard is a great knife, IMHO.
Fit and finish on mine is near perfect, locks up solid, and has no play in any direction.
It's very ergonomic for my small hands, and is comfortable in numerous grips.
The flipping action is effortless once broken in, and opens very smoothly.
There's no stickiness to the lock, and my lock bar hasn't budged since I got the knife.
The Southard is pricey, but I feel it's worth the coin.
Good luck in your quest, and let us know what you end up with.
BTW, welcome back to the U.S.
Later,
Don
Thanks. How does it handle semihard/hard labor. I rarely do them but it is good to know if it can match
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Hi CK,

back to the subject (while the epoxy is drying on the micarta-slabs of my K390 :D ) I have the Air and the Southard. I really love both knives but I have difficulties comparing them. The Air is a wonderful vestpocket gentlemansfolder and you forget about it when you have it in your pocket. The Southard is a full-sized pocketknife and unique since it is the first :spyder: flipper and has those special bearings. The best part however (IMHO) is the steel; the CTS-clone of M390, 204P.
It depends on what you want, but for 'specialty' I would choose the Southard.

Have it your way friend, cheers! T.
Tom
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

I have had my Southard since the spring and it is a dandy knife for sure. It has been my carry ever since. A month after I got it I decided to put it to the Sharpmaker even though it didn't need it. I used the 30 degree setting. I haven't touched the edge since then. It has cut everything from paper to plastic conduit. The edge is still super sharp. As mentioned by every other owner here, the fit and finish is extraordinary. The blade has a 3D sculpted look to it. The balance point is right at the cutout. The flipping mechanism is butter smooth.

If you can find one, jump on it. I have the feeling that new stock will be arriving soon.
Chipped Karambit

toomzz wrote:Hi CK,

back to the subject (while the epoxy is drying on the micarta-slabs of my K390 :D ) I have the Air and the Southard. I really love both knives but I have difficulties comparing them. The Air is a wonderful vestpocket gentlemansfolder and you forget about it when you have it in your pocket. The Southard is a full-sized pocketknife and unique since it is the first :spyder: flipper and has those special bearings. The best part however (IMHO) is the steel; the CTS-clone of M390, 204P.
It depends on what you want, but for 'specialty' I would choose the Southard.

Have it your way friend, cheers! T.
I See. I am aware they are polar opposites but my only gent knife is an old case and a knife that my dad had when he was 14 so I will get both eventually, just wondering the order to get first. both seem like a beast for their own purpose
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

Let me know where you find Southards for sale :D
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Have the air and fondled the southard many a time at the factory store. Complete opposite spectrums in the Spyderco offering but both excellent knives. The air is just like it sounds, lite like a feather, disappears in your pocket and the M4 wharnclife blade is a wicked slicer that will meet most every edc task you can throw at it. The southard will get added to the collection once dealers get them back in stock. It sits in the hand nicely and I have heard great things about CTS-204p. The biggest complaint the southard gets is the pocket clip and the angle it sits at, very common for people to put a different clip on the knife.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Either way, finally you will get both knives :rolleyes:
Tom