Sad day for the left-handed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Waco

Sad day for the left-handed

Post by Waco »

I just noticed that the left-hand Millie is discontinued. :( I'm glad I already bought one. I hope that means an ambidextrous version is on the way. Then again, if the plan is to copy the Para2, its lock doesn't work very well left-handed, in my experience. I dropped it more than once trying to close it one-handed.
mattman

Post by mattman »

iirc... I think it will still be made on a "limited production" status, but "discontinued" as a regular catalog item... but that was a while back, and I haven't heard any more to this effect since, so... "grain of salt" n all that...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not a huge fan of the Military, but as a lefty I'm grateful that Spyderco made it and pleasantly surprised that it remained in the lineup for as long as it did. For those who don't have one yet, some dealers do still have them in stock. Beyond that, IIRC, there has also been at least some talk of a possible LH Military Sprint in a different steel/handle material/color.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Waco

Post by Waco »

The Deacon wrote:Not a huge fan of the Military, but as a lefty I'm grateful that Spyderco made it and pleasantly surprised that it remained in the lineup for as long as it did. For those who don't have one yet, some dealers do still have them in stock. Beyond that, IIRC, there has also been at least some talk of a possible LH Military Sprint in a different steel/handle material/color.
I'm happy with the standard steel, but I've wished the orange handle was an option for the LH. I spend too much time looking for black knives in poorly-lit places. Mine went missing recently. By chance, I discovered it in a small trash can, that I was about to dump. :eek:
Clip

Post by Clip »

Deacon, I'd absolutely love that sprint but I think Spyderco would only have to make about 100 to satisfy their LH market :)

I think Sierra Trading Post still has a few, that's where I found mine.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Clip wrote:Deacon, I'd absolutely love that sprint but I think Spyderco would only have to make about 100 to satisfy their LH market :)

That's the nice thing with Golden models. No maker's "minimum order" restrictions to contend with, so they actually could make a 100 piece Sprint. :) Plus, you never know, even a few of the more mentally flexible right handers might spring for one after their initial bout of righteous indignation, if the steel was new and exotic enough. :p
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

I appreciate that Spyderco offers LH models from time to time. I purchased the LH military when it came out just to support the cause. It is a little large for my taste but, it is a wonderful knife. There are other models that I would love to see offered in a LH version Bradley Air and Techno
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Clip wrote:Deacon, I'd absolutely love that sprint but I think Spyderco would only have to make about 100 to satisfy their LH market :)

If Sierra runs out, there have also been some on the 'bay with a good price.

I would buy a black blade LH sprint in whatever metal was convenient :) but would also be interested in a sprint with M4, K-390, etc.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

I also recall see a post somewhere by Sal on the possibility of a LH Military sprint in a different steel. I would be in for one.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I shouldn't mention this while trying to argue in favor of a left handed sprint, but I've noticed since I got my LH millie, it's actually pretty convenient for me to remove it from my right pocket (with right hand) by reaching deep with my thumb and grasping the backward pointing blade side in the crotch of my thumb and forefinger. Then it's a fairly simple, fluid movement to rotate it slightly for opening... point being that I could do that with a right handed one in my left pocket. Then, the major inconvenience becomes needing two hands, or swapping hands, to close it. Also, in my case, I have to have the presence of mind to remember what kind of knife I'm carrying and that it's turned backwards :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

I am a lefty, and following another member's suggestion, I tried a few things with a right-handed Millie, and sure enough, with little practice, it becomes second nature. Now I am of the strong opinion (my 2 cents worth) that because of the large opening in the scales in the Millie, that I don't need a left handed Millie. I recorded this video some time back, of how I open and close my "standard", right-hand Millie with my left hand:
https://youtu.be/RZAc1rs3EdY

Will
Wanted: Superhawk - Found!
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'll admit it, I was happy to see the LH Millie disco'd. It allowed me to pick one up for a great price :D

Although I can also manipulate right hand liner locks easily with either hand, I still appreciate a LH model. Frame locks give me a little more trouble. I am tempted to pick up a Domino, but want to hear how other lefties fair with it first.
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Have to agree Paul as a lefty was very grateful that Sal created the LH Military and yes the life span was a surprise . If a sprint is in the pipeline I would be first in line for one . Regards MG2
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

wquiles wrote:I am a lefty, and following another member's suggestion, I tried a few things with a right-handed Millie, and sure enough, with little practice, it becomes second nature. Now I am of the strong opinion (my 2 cents worth) that because of the large opening in the scales in the Millie, that I don't need a left handed Millie. I recorded this video some time back, of how I open and close my "standard", right-hand Millie with my left hand:
https://youtu.be/RZAc1rs3EdY

Will
(The video is labeled 'private' now and it wouldn't play for me.) I routinely close linerlocks wrong handed with my left hand, but my LH millie was the sharpest thing I've gotten, out of the box (except maybe my Caly 3.5 ZDP) and I didn't want to fool around with it too much unnecessarily with the wrong hand :)
3f8

Post by 3f8 »

Don't be sad. Leaks from the NSA listening system have discovered chatter about a new Spyderco Milli. Since it will be ambidextrous a left hand only would be redundant. It's unobtainium blade will be the envy of the industry. Keep your eye on the horizon.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

3f8 wrote:Don't be sad. Leaks from the NSA listening system have discovered chatter about a new Spyderco Milli. Since it will be ambidextrous a left hand only would redundant. It's unobtainium blade will be the envy of the industry. Keep your eye on the horizon.
Fine... as long as it has glow-in-the-dark kryptonite scales.
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

DougC-3 wrote:(The video is labeled 'private' now and it wouldn't play for me.)
Opps. Sorry about that. Fixed now :)
Wanted: Superhawk - Found!
DougC-3

Left Hand Millie Still Available -- "Real Cheap"

Post by DougC-3 »

There's a deal at Sierra Trading Post for today only, on the Left Hand Millie for $89.97 -- if you sign up for their deal flyer,etc. :eek:

If you jack up your purchase to $100, you also get a $15 gift card. If they base the $100 on the total before coupon, then you wouldn't have to jack it up. I haven't checked on that.

Sometimes you can download their phone app and place your order through it and get free shipping as well, using the code number in the fine print at the bottom of the DealFlyer 40%-off email when you check out -- not sure if this free shipping offer is still in effect.

"With your DealFlyer coupon, you save an extra 40%:
Your price: $89.97 ends today at 11:59PM (MT)"
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Wasn't Sal saying that they are still in production, just in a limited amount?

I don't own one yet...but what I really appreciate about the LH Millie is the lack of big scale cutout that is in the wrong place. I can and do use my RH Millie. But would love to see some M4 in a lefty model.
On the hunt for...
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy