Questions about caly 3.5 zdp-189

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NorthernPanda

Questions about caly 3.5 zdp-189

Post by NorthernPanda »

Hi,

I've been lusting over the Caly 3.5 in zdp-189. I thought zdp was some of the best steel out there and then I started researching it more on the internet. Now I'm wondering if it a good choice in steel or not. Most of my use is light duty such as cutting cardboard, rope and opening parcels. I have used my pocket knifes for scrapping glue off things and I'm wondering if zdp would be a good choice of steel for my use. I've over analyzed things and would appreciate some opinions on zdp chipping and/or breaking.

TIA
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

I dont know much about the specifics about any steel really, but ZDP 189 is an AMAZING steel. One of the best I think. I like it better than s30v and S35vn in edge retention and is still relatively easy to sharpen. You will not be upset with the performance of the knife or the steel you chose. Welcome to the forums!
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have a Caly 3.5 in ZDP (and also a delica and a dragonfly in ZDP). I haven't had an issues with breaking or chipping, but I don't tend to use any of those knives for heavy tasks. For cardboard, rope and parcels, I think you'll be very pleased with the ZDP. I can't speak to using it as a scraper, though.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

If you use your knife for scraping things, you'll have a bit of a problem. ZDP is a bit difficult to sharpen and although it holds an edge well in cutting chores, you'll just dull it up needlessly by using it for scraping things(would now depend on what you scrape and how much you scrape). Unless you are very proficient at sharpening, dull ZDP is is kind of a bear to sharpen up. Maybe VG-10 would be ideal for your needs since you don't cut a lot and it's easy sharpen up if you get it dull.
NorthernPanda

Post by NorthernPanda »

ok, thanks guys. How much do you have to abuse a zdp blade for it to chip?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

NorthernPanda wrote:ok, thanks guys. How much do you have to abuse a zdp blade for it to chip?
Depends on how thin your edge is. I bet you can't chip the spine of a ZDP knife if you tried.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi, welcome to the forums :) . You are discussing one of the best knives I think Spyderco offers, the ZDP is impressive and will not fail you for the majority of your cutting tasks and assuming you're scraping glue off something like cardboard or wood-like materials, I bet you wouldn't see it chip. My only thing with the ZDP version is I prefer the better grip of the G10 in their VG-10 version. You really wouldn't be let down by either, I beat my G10 version mercilessly and it's always ready for more, plus if you spend any time on these forums, you'll be reporting in soon enough on the fact you now have both to compare for yourself! Cheers!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
NorthernPanda

Post by NorthernPanda »

ya, I can see that buying the different models could become an addiction. ;) Looks like I'll be ordering a caly 3.5 in zdp (I like the cf handle) ... woohoo.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

NorthernPanda wrote:ya, I can see that buying the different models could become an addiction. ;) Looks like I'll be ordering a caly 3.5 in zdp (I like the cf handle) ... woohoo.
Great choice! Post pics when u get it!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

If you let the sharpness do the cutting instead of excessive force it should hold up nicely. Touch it up frequently to keep that crazy sharpness :) . Avoid staples when cutting.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

NorthernPanda wrote:ok, thanks guys. How much do you have to abuse a zdp blade for it to chip?
That depends. If your edge is too thin you could chip it without hard use. ZDP is somewhat unique in my experience. When sharpening on ceramic rods, a light touch is needed or chipping can occur. Personally I prefer M4 or Super Blue. But I prefer ZDP to VG-10.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I believe if you keep the edge angle AT LEAST 30° inclusive you should be happy. The harder any steel is the easier it will chip. If you cut soft stuff only you can lower the angle and it will almost never get dull. But for an EDC knife where you may be cutting anything an edge angle of 40° should be fine. You may get tiny micro chips but these won't really hinder cutting performance. A quick touch up often and ZDP is a great performer.

Jack
Clip

Post by Clip »

ZDP's a good bet if you use your knife like a knife.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

Clip wrote:ZDP's a good bet if you use your knife like a knife.
Well said!!
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Use a knife like a knife??? :confused: Never heard of sucha thing! :D
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I think this works for any knife.....

_________________ is a good bet if you use your knife like a knife!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Donut

Post by Donut »

Check out this thread I started to gather some opinions on ZDP:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... 9-Opinions

Check out this thread where someone did some hard use with a ZDP Endura:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... pping-test
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I hold my 3.5 ZDP in very high esteem in my collection. It's as good as it gets. :)
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
NorthernPanda

Post by NorthernPanda »

Thanks for all the help. Donut those threads were great! I will reach for a proper scraper if it is warranted and try not to cut up any olive cans ;) I have a decent chef knife in SLD (D2 steel) so I know how to sharpen and I've got my strop with veritas green 1/2 micron compound all ready! Stropping really does make my chef knife sing after I sharpen it, I imagine the zdp will be the same.
Donut

Post by Donut »

NorthernPanda wrote:Stropping really does make my chef knife sing after I sharpen it, I imagine the zdp will be the same.
And then there are the people who think a stropped edge won't cut into things like a tomato as easily as one with a rough edge.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!