Just Bought a UKPK and I have a question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GreatSyxsuke

Just Bought a UKPK and I have a question

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

I just purchased a C94PSBK3 at my local cutlery shoppe. I noticed that the backspring isn't as stiff as my Squeak was. Both were NIB. Is this normal or did I get a bad one? It's not so loose that it won't stay open, it's just easier to close as the half stop isn't as prominent. Either way, I am very happy with it. Thanks!
Current carry: Spyderco Squeak or Spyderco Pingo (Back right pocket), Paramilitary 2 Black G10 (front right pocket)

Future wants: Karahawk

"It's far better to carry and never need than to not carry and desperately need."
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Is that the FRN model? If so, those do seem to have less stiff locks than any other Spyderco slip joints (at least the ones I have). They work fine, but I strongly prefer the very strong and stiff springs on the G-10 UKPK and Urban.
:bug-red-white
Buck Knives I Like

Post by Buck Knives I Like »

gbelleh wrote:Is that the FRN model? If so, those do seem to have less stiff locks than any other Spyderco slip joints (at least the ones I have). They work fine, but I strongly prefer the very strong and stiff springs on the G-10 UKPK and Urban.
From my understanding they used 2 different kinds of springs in the frn ukpk, the first was a weaker spring and spyderco changed it through feedback and the next was a fork spring or something that was much tougher and felt stronger.

Long story short my UKPK FRN was not weak at all, and I had the maroon frn ukpk drop point.

From what I hear it is sort of the luck of the draw.
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

I'm pretty sure its FRN, it's light as **** although the texture is rough like G10. I don't mind it, I was just surprised since my Squeak is FRN and it's stiffer.
Current carry: Spyderco Squeak or Spyderco Pingo (Back right pocket), Paramilitary 2 Black G10 (front right pocket)

"It's far better to carry and never need than to not carry and desperately need."
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

G10 UKPKs would feel stiffer than the Squeak, it has to be the FRN one, also G10 ones are plain (P) or serrated Rescues.
When using the choil it is absolutely safe, never had a problem with my FRN ones with the older spring closing unintendedly.

Enjoy your knife, for me the ergonomics of the UKPK are the best of all :spyder: s (the wider G10 and CF ones feeling a tad better than slim FRNs) - and there´s no other brand that could reach most of my :spyder: s concerning ergonomics!!!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The UKPK uses a split spring design. The Maniago, Italy slipits (Pingo & Squeak) use different springs.
Donut

Post by Donut »

What is the two letter date code on the box?

When closed, looking at the face of the spring, do you see a line/split in it?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

Donut wrote:What is the two letter date code on the box?

When closed, looking at the face of the spring, do you see a line/split in it?
In the middle of the right side of the label (which is yellow, don't know if that matters), it says HK. The bottom right corner has TA02. It does have a split on the spring when closed. I'm assuming that means it's a fork spring? Either way, I feel it is safe and won't close on my fingers. Thanks for all the quick responses, I love how on top of things everyone is here. :)

Jax

Post by Jax »

Seems like your Ukpk was made in August/2011.
I also just bought a new old stock Ukpk and it doesn't have a split spring.
It was made in may/2011. 3 months before yours.

Buck knives I like seems dead on in his luck of the draw comment.
My half stop is strong,and my spring is stiff (but not as strong as other slip joints I suppose)
I agree that this is the most comfy spydie I felt.
And Soooo lightweight,a caly 3 on a crash diet.
Great knife.
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

I played with it a little and now the spring is stiffer when it's fully opened. However, the half stop is still barely there in comparison. I don't fear it cutting me during closing but it's curious that it's stiffer fully open than half stopped.

Jax

Post by Jax »

GreatSyxsuke wrote:I played with it a little and now the spring is stiffer when it's fully opened. However, the half stop is still barely there in comparison. I don't fear it cutting me during closing but it's curious that it's stiffer fully open than half stopped.
Maybe it's due to the differences in notch depth/size between the half stop and full open position.
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

Jax wrote:Maybe it's due to the differences in notch depth/size between the half stop and full open position.
That's true. Either way, the knife rules and I will be EDCing it as much as humanly possible. So glad I bought it, Sal is the man!

pezie

Post by pezie »

I have the 2013 FFG model. Not only did I instantly like the ergonomics, the scale texture, the jimping, the looks, the weight, the grind and the clip, I was also positively surprised by the stiffness of the lock after having read about it being on the weak side (which may have been the case with earlier models). I don't have much experience with slip joints (the only other slip joint knives that I can compare the UKPK to are a couple of SAKs and the force curve of the blade action is very different in those), but the stiffness of the UKPK's lock seems adequate to me for a knive of this type and size. I can overcome the lock by pressing against the thumb ramp (allowing for one-handed action), but that requires some force, which is good.

The half stop is indeed much less prominent than the full open lock since the notch on the blade where the spring catches is tiny in comparison. The half stop doesn't seem to me to make a considerable difference in terms of safety as it takes so little force to overcome, but with the way I use and close the knife (and with the blade of the UKPK being neither heavy nor swinging freely), I don't really feel the need for a stronger half stop.

In fact, I don't think that there are slip joint knives that have a half stop that's as strong as the full open lock. I imagine that having to put a lot of force on the blade when it's so close to the handle (and your fingers) would be a safety risk in itself.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Jax wrote:Seems like your Ukpk was made in August/2011.
I also just bought a new old stock Ukpk and it doesn't have a split spring.
It was made in may/2011. 3 months before yours.

Buck knives I like seems dead on in his luck of the draw comment.
My half stop is strong,and my spring is stiff (but not as strong as other slip joints I suppose)
I agree that this is the most comfy spydie I felt.
And Soooo lightweight,a caly 3 on a crash diet.
Great knife.
The first person to get a UKPK with a split spring had a date code of March 2012. August 2011 is a little early.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Donut wrote:The first person to get a UKPK with a split spring had a date code of March 2012. August 2011 is a little early.
Ah cool,to be honest i never heard of the split ring before.
Thanks.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Check out Wouter's blog post about them from the previous Amsterdam meet.

http://spydercollector.wordpress.com/20 ... n-slipits/
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

I wish I had taken a pic of the box because it definitely had an HK on it and looking down at the spring, it is split when the blade is closed and the two pieces are pushed together when you start to open it. I got it at a local cutlery shop if that matters.

Jax

Post by Jax »

Thanks donut! :)
Now I see what the slit spring is.