an observation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dman62

Post by dman62 »

Flat ground Spydies have spoiled me also. And I like my knives on the light weight side. I have a ZT 350 (excellent slicer), a CQC 8, and a mini Commander that see some pocket time but Delicas, Para 2's, and my Meerkat get the lions share. Throw in a Millie and a Lum for good measure once in a while also. Life is good.
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

This is such a great thread. I have quite literally sold every other knife I own to buy more spyderco knives and the simple reason why is once I carried a spyderco knife, I couldn't bring myself to carry anything else. They are just a cut above the rest (pun intended). Spyderco is the best knife maker in the world I think. I am proud to only carry spyderco knives and I love it when someone locally comments on the knife I'm carrying and recognizes it as a spyderco.
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Spyderco appears to offer more FFG than many other brands, like BM. BM makes good knives, but since my preference is for FFG too, most of my knives are :spyder:
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pockets wrote:Spyderco appears to offer more FFG than many other brands, like BM. BM makes good knives, but since my preference is for FFG too, most of my knives are :spyder:
I think too many other brands design their knives around looks more so than ergonomics, whereas it seems to me that Spyderco is more about form following function. A lot of Spyderco designs look a bit bland compared to how flashy some of the other brands get, but they still manage to have an attractive allure to them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm guessing the "real soldiers" spend more time prying with their knives than stabbing moving targets. In that case the "best" tactical knife would be an EOD Breacher Bar from Countycomm. :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Blerv wrote:I'm guessing the "real soldiers" spend more time prying with their knives than stabbing moving targets. In that case the "best" tactical knife would be an EOD Breacher Bar from Countycomm. :)
That would work, but if thick stock is the name of the game then this has always been a favorite of mine. I loaned it to a friend to carry in Iraq, it never survived a night exercise due to the stupid tek-lok. (not my photo)

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

xceptnl wrote:That would work, but if thick stock is the name of the game then this has always been a favorite of mine. I loaned it to a friend to carry in Iraq, it never survived a night exercise due to the stupid tek-lok. (not my photo)

Prime example of marketing hype creating a legend out of a fairy tale. What amuses me the most are those pins that are supposed to transform them into fixed blades, when the pin itself doesn't take ANY strain off the pivot whatsoever. All they do is prevent the knife from being closed...you can still destroy the pivot and induce ridiculous amounts of pivot play.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:Prime example of marketing hype creating a legend out of a fairy tale. What amuses me the most are those pins that are supposed to transform them into fixed blades, when the pin itself doesn't take ANY strain off the pivot whatsoever. All they do is prevent the knife from being closed...you can still destroy the pivot and induce ridiculous amounts of pivot play.
Yes, that model you are speaking of is a bit of hype I think. The one I posted was the shrapnel double guard fixed blade. It is not a slicer by most definitions, but it had a nice full tang, and a distal taper to a really fine point (considering it started from 1/4" stock).
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think my HEST folders are not the worst cutters. I can get by with them.

What kind of cutting performance do we need? What are we doing to test if a knife has good enough cutting performance?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

Blerv wrote:I'm guessing the "real soldiers" spend more time prying with their knives than stabbing moving targets. In that case the "best" tactical knife would be an EOD Breacher Bar from Countycomm. :)
Thinking about reprofiling my breacher bar so I could at least cut butter.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I think the answer to this is up to you. Evil mentioned cutting down saplings with a knife, I use a machete. Who is right? I am certainly not going to say he is wrong. I also hate "food prep" as major category because I am in my kitchen and have nice Henkles and Wustorffs (sp on both?) and don't like raw chicken getting in my pivots. I think my cutting performance should be pretty close to the Case stockman my granddad carried for 30 years. Except with a Spydie hole and a locking mechanism
Donut wrote:I think my HEST folders are not the worst cutters. I can get by with them.

What kind of cutting performance do we need? What are we doing to test if a knife has good enough cutting performance?
edc solutions

Post by edc solutions »

Like mentioned above, always use the right tool for the job and that includes our knives. For me Spyderco offers the most functional blades for my EDC from cutting up food, opening up tough packages, or cutting out pieces of thick plastic buckets. They spyderhole design is what really sells me to this brand... although it does add surface area to the blade, the slicing performance is just outstanding and I have no problem opening them up with wet hands or gloves. Oh, and dont forget that it will not snag the linings of your pockets and rip up your pants!

As far as tacticool and survival purposes, I think there are better knives than Spyderco for those applications. Spyderco is just so dang collectible and versatile though!
edc solutions

Post by edc solutions »

twinboysdad wrote:... I also hate "food prep" as major category because I am in my kitchen and have nice Henkles and Wustorffs (sp on both?) and don't like raw chicken getting in my pivots.
I often use my blade for food when I'm away from home and nothing is available to cut my food with... not even those cheap plactic "knives". They definitely don't compare to a lovely kitchen knife but desperate times call for desperate measures, LOL. Or how about this scenario, you're at a cookout with some buddies and someone pulls out a haggard chunk of metal they call a knife and they proceed to rip up the meat with it. I will definitely sacrifice my clean pivots than to witness such an atrocity.
edc solutions

Post by edc solutions »

einstein2001 wrote:Thinking about reprofiling my breacher bar so I could at least cut butter.
Very cool looking. What do you use your breacher bar for? Mine stays in my toolbox where it has gotten the most use, LOL.
girlyMANN

Post by girlyMANN »

"...I came to the conclusion that a) not only do these other knives not cut well, they cut like crap. b) they are hard to sharpen c) they are unnecessarily heavy. .."
- twinboysdad

that's an epic about turn.
mighty glad you pull through that phase a wiser soul.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I too, have been spoiled by Spyderco's FFG and for cutting thick material, there's nothing I like better.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I own other maker's knives and enjoy them fully. But, some of those Spyderco knives are addicting and I doubt there is a cure. I have some far more expensive knives and I will still put a Caly3 in my waistband and either a G10 DF or G10 MB in my pocket rather than the other maker's knives. Yesterday, a friend saw my Caly3 ZDP and loved it so much he is ordering not only this one, but several more Spyderco's. Yep, I love 'em.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Edc solutions,

Welcome to our forum.

sal