Super Blue Endura... Coming Soon to a store near You!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buck Knives I Like

Post by Buck Knives I Like »

einstein2001 wrote:The SB Ladybug and Dragonfly are must-haves for me. Also interested in adding the SB Endura and Stretch to the collection.
Who am I kidding, I'm getting them all!
Now I just need to raise some more money. Anybody in the market for a soul?
:)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

phillipsted wrote:The 420J stainless on the outside of the clad scratches awfully easy. I love the SB cutting edge and appreciate the benefits of cladding, but really don't have much use for 420J... Having said that, I'll be buying the Delica, Stretch, and Dfly!

TedP
It does scratch easily, but it also polishes easily. The best looking finish might be a stonewash similar to the Southard.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bchan

Post by bchan »

I suppose the purpose of the lamination is to prevent rust? But the edge itself (the only thing that matters as far as cutting is concerned) remains uncladded and so is still subject to rust. I can't quite get it.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I suppose the purpose of the lamination is to prevent rust? But the edge itself (the only thing that matters as far as cutting is concerned) remains uncladded and so is still subject to rust. I can't quite get it.
Well, corrosion resistance may not be the main or only reason it was made with laminated steel. Only Spyderco and the vendor know right now. Personally non stainless steels don't trouble me at all.

Even so, it sure cuts down on the area that needs to be kept corrosion free if that kind of thing is important. Personally I like Super Blue and don't mind it non laminated, or laminated. As long as it cuts like Super blue. :)

I also love the Endura and it's design. Everything about it in fact. Putting Super Blue in it makes me like it even more, not meaning to disrespect VG10. It's one of my favorite stainless steels. I've carried Enduras in all steels since the first one in Gin 1 ( G2), for over 20 years now.

This one I consider a treat for us sprint loving, endura loving, Steel Junky types. It's just possible it's not every bodies cup of tea though.

I'll try to buy an extra if possible to make up for those that don't really like it. I can't see it going unsold. In fact I'm worried about getting one as it may take a while before I can afford it and they will sell pretty fast at these prices.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Blackhawk30

Post by Blackhawk30 »

So,what kind of handle will be on the SuperBlue Delica?G10 or FRN?
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Blackhawk30 wrote:So,what kind of handle will be on the SuperBlue Delica?G10 or FRN?
I think they're all grey FRN.

I just put a pre order in and this would be my first sprint run and first endura. Might these to be sold out/ over ordered already?
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

I pre-ordered an SB Stretch, but my VG-10 Endura is getting so much pocket time lately I might just need a Superblue version of it as well! Very happy that Spyderco gave these FRN knives the premium steel treatment. For a user knife, I far prefer them to G10 equivalents.
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

hopefully this means the Delica is just a month or so out?

I'd love to get an endura too, but I'm trying to get back onto smaller blades.
sal

Post by sal »

The lamination is being used because the maker prefers working with the clad material and they feel it makes a better performing knife. The maker that makes the Caly SB felt they could work with the straight steel, although they did complain that SB was difficult to work with.

Since this material is rarely, if ever, used for folding knives, we are the best test.

sal
Buck Knives I Like

how many of the super blue enduras and super blue delicas will be released?

Are they going by a number limit or for a time limit?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Buck Knives I Like wrote:how many of the super blue enduras and super blue delicas will be released?

Are they going by a number limit or for a time limit?
Think I read 600-1200 of each as sprints on KC...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Buck Knives I Like

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Think I read 600-1200 of each as sprints on KC...
I don't see a buying limit on their site either. Thanks for the info btw.

I was expecting a limit of 2.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The lamination is being used because the maker prefers working with the clad material and they feel it makes a better performing knife. The maker that makes the Caly SB felt they could work with the straight steel, although they did complain that SB was difficult to work with.
Thank you Sal. I figured there was a reason. I do imagine Super Blue would be tough to work in large batches. The corrosion issues if nothing else.
Since this material is rarely, if ever, used for folding knives, we are the best test.
I haven't seen any modern folders made with Super Blue. Just the smaller traditional ones made with Blue 1 or 2. Nothing at all like what you have done. It seems to be another first.

I'd imagine they are pretty polite to you but do you ever catch them rolling their eyes when they think you aren't looking at some of your orders? :) I imagine you bring them out of their comfort zones at times like this. :D

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

Buck Knives I Like

Does anyone think if I should preorder mine if I want it or will they hang around after release?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I think with 1200 being planned, they may not disappear like crazy. I don't think ....
*Landon*
Buck Knives I Like

frn

Edit: Whoops wrong post!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I think with 1200 being planned, they may not disappear like crazy. I don't think ....
I hope you are right. One company I know has more pre orders than they can fill with the first shipment they expect to get in. It may seem like it's selling out at first, but with that many there should eventually be stores that have stock sitting around for a while.

It's relative though. It will sell out fast for that large a number. Not K390 Mule or S110V Forum knife fast though. That's my best guess.

Joe

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Joe,

After 32 years, it's a love/hate relationship. While they don't often understand my motives, they have come to believe that I have some idea of what I'm doing.

sal
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'm waiting for the SB Delica. Put me down for two of those!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

sal wrote:Hi Joe,

...While they don't often understand my motives, they have come to believe that I have some idea of what I'm doing.

sal
That evidence is spread all over the world with the various models that have been huge hits and envied collectors pieces.
*Landon*