My first Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Per-Sev

My first Spyderco

Post by Per-Sev »

I was in ST. Augustine Florida just looking around and there was a little knife store there and of course I went in. I was not really looking for anything just like to look at knives and I spotted a unusually knife and asked to look at it. It was a Spyderco Schempp Tuff, I had seen some pictures of the knife but thought it was ugly so I never wanted one. I had never been a fan of the Spyderco styles before or the hole in the blade. I picked up the Tuff and opened it and I thought wow that is nice, I looked at the lock up and liked the steel insert and it had a nice early strong lock up just how I like my knives. I closed it and felt the detent suck the blade closed and thought again wow that's sweet. The knife fit me like a glove I could not find any fault with the knife and for me thats hard to do. Well I now am a fan for life, after using the Tuff and carrying it for about six months now when I look at other knives I compare them to the Tuff and most don't even come close and I also love the Spyderco hole and now if the knife has a thumb stud it feels weird opening it. I had collected knives since the seventies and had some very high end knives as far as fit and quality goes the Tuff can hold its own maybe not looks, I mean nothing beats a custom with pearl or mammoth ivory and Damascus but for a useful never fail knife the Tuff is it, I don't even bother looking for something better anymore I have found my EDC I even bought another one just in case I lose this one some how.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Hooked!
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on picking up a Tuff and giving Spyderco a chance. A lot of folks have the same experience with Spyderco, once they handle one and use it, it all becomes clear. The Tuff is one of my favorites.
:spyder:
Dan
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Per-Sev wrote:I was in ST. Augustine Florida just looking around and there was a little knife store there and of course I went in. I was not really looking for anything just like to look at knives and I spotted a unusually knife and asked to look at it. It was a Spyderco Schempp Tuff, I had seen some pictures of the knife but thought it was ugly so I never wanted one. I had never been a fan of the Spyderco styles before or the hole in the blade. I picked up the Tuff and opened it and I thought wow that is nice, I looked at the lock up and liked the steel insert and it had a nice early strong lock up just how I like my knives. I closed it and felt the detent suck the blade closed and thought again wow that's sweet. The knife fit me like a glove I could not find any fault with the knife and for me thats hard to do. Well I now am a fan for life, after using the Tuff and carrying it for about six months now when I look at other knives I compare them to the Tuff and most don't even come close and I also love the Spyderco hole and now if the knife has a thumb stud it feels weird opening it. I had collected knives since the seventies and had some very high end knives as far as fit and quality goes the Tuff can hold its own maybe not looks, I mean nothing beats a custom with pearl or mammoth ivory and Damascus but for a useful never fail knife the Tuff is it, I don't even bother looking for something better anymore I have found my EDC I even bought another one just in case I lose this one some how.
And so the spyder bites. :spyder: Quick, give your wallet and credit cards to your wife, your girlfriend or a person on the street. There is no cure for the bite, and the remedy is only temporary. :rolleyes:
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Yup 'bitten' you are :D and IMO the Tuff isn't one of the lookers .
As has been said that's how many feel , until they get one in hand .
I had a first experience with a spyderco that wasn't great , but I gave it another go and never looked back.
Even gotten over my dislike of back locks , only with spydercos mind.
And frn is now something I consider a very good scale material .
I actually tried yesterday to push as hard as possible on a tenacious against the G10 , then the FRN on an Endura .
And the frn had much more resistance , welcome to the disease that is Spyderco ;) as I've posted a 100x since I got it ill post again try a looker like the Vallotton you'll love it .
Even better knowing you've collected for a long time and have the experience to gauge the quality by.

Oh and btw I love pearl customs please pm a pic if you have any I am awaiting a white mop FF now and can't wait.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Welcome to the forum Per sev! :)
Holland

Post by Holland »

Welcome to the forums! cant wait to hear what you purchase next! :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Welcome aboard! Just started here myself recently. Don't worry, your history with collecting and your recent infection from the Spyder bite will have you making your own custom Spydies soon enough (or saving up some serious dough to get some of those beautiful Santa Fe Stoneworks customs)! Spyderco has some pretty cool Damascus blade knives too... :cool:
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

Ha. Just had to laugh because I know the store in st augustine you speak of. I am native to st. A and only discovered a few months ago that the store sold spyderco knives. But I still go to Jacksonville because the shop there has better prices. Welcome to the forum!!
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

Thanks everyone, I unfortunately don't really collect knives anymore I was forced to sell my collection back in 2000 after a work injury and now I just by one once in a while to use. I normally will by a knife use it for a while and sell it and buy something else and just keep repeating the process that way I still scratch my itch to buy knives and don't spend to much money. Since the Tuff though things might have changed I don't see myself selling it anytime soon because I doubt I will find anything made that good that has what I look for in a knife, I am about as picky as they come. Most of the time after I buy what I think is the perfect knife I find the flaw that turns me against that knife or I just get bored with it but I have carried the Tuff for about 6 months and so far can't find the flaw and I'm not bored yet.
As far as other Spyderco's go what models have the same features as the Tuff, like the steel insert in the lock bar is my favorite feature, and I like the size and the materials used also. I have looked at quite a few knives and its hard to find one with the same specs. I always have my eyes open looking for that better knife but I don't think its made yet.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Certain Titanium model military's (reg Ti mili,flutted Ti mili,M4 mili) have the lock bar steel insert.
The Military is another knife that does to others what the tuff did for you.
They bought it and found the perfect knife,and didn't look back.
For them nothing can replace it..
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Per-Sev wrote:
As far as other Spyderco's go what models have the same features as the Tuff, like the steel insert in the lock bar is my favorite feature, and I like the size and the materials used also. I have looked at quite a few knives and its hard to find one with the same specs. I always have my eyes open looking for that better knife but I don't think its made yet.
You may have been one of the lucky ones who find THE knife first time around. :) I've gone through quite a few Spyderco knives and traded or sold several and now my ONE knife is a set of a Manbug, Dragonfly2, Chaparral, Sage4 and Bradley Folder (formerly called the Gayle Bradley). These 4 models more than satisfy my desire for size and/or use. Now my Spyderco purchases will be limited to new models I'm sure. Maybe. :)

The point is if everything you want is found in one knife count yourself lucky. Even though one knife will serve most EDC needs I've come to like carrying at least two different knives based on size normally. You may want to look at the Techno if you like STRONG. I don't have one but lots of folks have said it's a VERY STRONG little/big knife. Much stronger than a knife that size usually is. Actually, I think Spyderco has the strongest knives of any knives in the same size category. The Manbug is a tremendous knife (for it's size). I don't know of any other folder that size that will hold up to the use it is capable of. Especially the G-10 model with SS liners and bolsters. You can find about anything for different needs and not need to look at any other brand. There are other great knives of course but several companies that seem to fill such a wide variety of models that fill many different categories. Hunting/camping to a dress or gents knife to a keychain knife. Plus the desire to try and use the best quality blade steels is always a plus. The worst thing a knife can have is poor edge retention. I don't want to carry a knife that won't stay sharp at a better than average level. Blade steels that Spyderco uses are a great selection in my limited experience.

Jack
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

jackknifeh wrote:Manbug, Dragonfly2, Chaparral, Sage4 and Bradley Folder (formerly called the Gayle Bradley). These 4 models more than satisfy my desire for size and/or use.
I count five. :confused:
In chronological order:
Paramilitary 2, BD30P Manix 2, Delica 4, M390 Mule, XHP Military, Dragonfly 2, Woodcraft Mule, ZDP-189 Manbug, Cruwear Mule, Superleaf, Forum Native 5, Manix 2 XL, Endura 4
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

jackknifeh wrote:You may have been one of the lucky ones who find THE knife first time around. :) I've gone through quite a few Spyderco knives and traded or sold several and now my ONE knife is a set of a Manbug, Dragonfly2, Chaparral, Sage4 and Bradley Folder (formerly called the Gayle Bradley). These 4 models more than satisfy my desire for size and/or use. Now my Spyderco purchases will be limited to new models I'm sure. Maybe. :)

The point is if everything you want is found in one knife count yourself lucky. Even though one knife will serve most EDC needs I've come to like carrying at least two different knives based on size normally. You may want to look at the Techno if you like STRONG. I don't have one but lots of folks have said it's a VERY STRONG little/big knife. Much stronger than a knife that size usually is. Actually, I think Spyderco has the strongest knives of any knives in the same size category. The Manbug is a tremendous knife (for it's size). I don't know of any other folder that size that will hold up to the use it is capable of. Especially the G-10 model with SS liners and bolsters. You can find about anything for different needs and not need to look at any other brand. There are other great knives of course but several companies that seem to fill such a wide variety of models that fill many different categories. Hunting/camping to a dress or gents knife to a keychain knife. Plus the desire to try and use the best quality blade steels is always a plus. The worst thing a knife can have is poor edge retention. I don't want to carry a knife that won't stay sharp at a better than average level. Blade steels that Spyderco uses are a great selection in my limited experience.

Jack
I might have been lucky with the Tuff but trust me its been a long hard search. I have bought and sold a lot of knives from factory to custom and nothing had been close until the Tuff. I will not be buying anything soon I'm very happy with the Tuff so much so I have another one coming today just as a back up in case I lose it or who knows, I just like to have a back up or one for each pocket.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

ricechrispy wrote:I count five. :confused:
Obviously math wasn't my major. :)

Actually I think I added the D'fly after writing the post and before "posting" it.

Jack