Domino dropping!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mattman

Post by mattman »

DoKnowHarm wrote:where is the domino being produced. i cant find anything on the website.
Taichung, Taiwan.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

They look great. They just need the clip stripped and they'll be amazing.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

Scottie3000 wrote:They look great. They just need the clip stripped and they'll be amazing.
They just need a wire clip and they would be amazing.

The clip/lanyard hole combination is the only downside of this knife, IMHO.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:They just need a wire clip and they would be amazing.

The clip/lanyard hole combination is the only downside of this knife, IMHO.
I was thinking they just needed a deep carry ti clip and they would be amazing :D
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Liking the photos posted a lot thank you but can someone post a closed Domino and a closed Sage so I can see the comparative size closed (and how much pocket space its going to take)?
throwback8

Post by throwback8 »

Here you go -

This thing is another fantastic addition to the Spyderco line. Typical Taiwan fit and finish and it flips incredibly well. The ergos are fantastic whether using the choil or standard grip. The detent ball does cause friction against the blade which feels a little gritTy if you slowly open and close it. When flipping it or thumbing it quickly it really isn't very noticeable. I did just put some Nano oil on the detent ball and detent ball track and noticed an immediate improvement. I'm sure once the Nano oil settles and the detent ball wears into the blade more it will be much better.
:spyder: Tenacious - Sage 1 - Paramilitary 2 - Southard - Domino :spyder:
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Just got an email from Blade HQ, they have them. Above my budget, but they have them!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

The fit and finish on the Domino is FANTASTIC. To me, the flipper action is better than the Southard. A beautiful knife....thanks Spyderco and crew.

I agree the wire clip would be an improvement, however everything about this knife says quality. Spyderco has a real winner in the Domino. Don't want to put it down. If I missed it in this thread, does anyone know what metal is used on the insert of the framelock? Is it hardened? Thanks :spyder:

Spyderco really makes it difficult to have a "favorite" Spydie. The Para, the Military, the Caly ZDP, the CF Stretch ZDP, the Southard, the Forum Native, and now the Domino. So many GREAT knives. Incredible :D
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Tdog wrote:The fit and finish on the Domino is FANTASTIC. To me, the flipper action is better than the Southard. A beautiful knife....thanks Spyderco and crew.

I agree the wire clip would be an improvement, however everything about this knife says quality. Spyderco has a real winner in the Domino. Don't want to put it down. If I missed it in this thread, does anyone know what metal is used on the insert of the framelock? Is it hardened? Thanks :spyder:

Spyderco really makes it difficult to have a "favorite" Spydie. The Para, the Military, the Caly ZDP, the CF Stretch ZDP, the Southard, the Forum Native, and now the Domino. So many GREAT knives. Incredible :D
Can't forget about the MT17 Mule..the K390 steel is unbelievable for edge retention..
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Philo Beddoe wrote:Can't forget about the MT17 Mule..the K390 steel is unbelievable for edge retention..
Or the......................................................just sooooo many classic knives.
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

Just got my Dominos!
Pics soon!
edit: Lighting isn't all the great right now
I'll get some in tomorrow!
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

senorsquare wrote:I was thinking they just needed a deep carry ti clip and they would be amazing :D
I was thinking they just need to grind off that flipper and they would be amazing.
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Hows the thumb hole deployment?
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
nccole

Post by nccole »

I got mine today also. I love mine. As long as it breaks in and becomes incredibly smooth like the Southard and I get an STR on it it will most likely trump the Southard. It feels better in hand, and the FFG thinner blade is a plus for me. This is my first XHP blade, so we will see how I like it. I don't expect it to be 204P or M4, but an upgrade over S30V I hope.

A few pics with my Southard. I am very pleased with the size of the knife. I was getting worried it was going to not feel like a full sized knife. The Sage's are awesome, but they feel a tad too small, and the Domino is just barely big enough. I tried to make sure I was directly over them to convey the size differences accurately. You can see the overall travel tab in the second one. It is just an extension of the lock face insert that imo lets it travel farther than I would ever push it, but is an absolute fail safe before permanent deformation. Neat simple solution.

Overall, very glad I picked one up.

nccole

Post by nccole »

DedRok wrote:Hows the thumb hole deployment?
Not as nice as say a Para 2. It is smaller, but I can thumb and middle finger flip easily.
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

The grip using the choil is AMAZING.
sechip

Post by sechip »

Got mine today and like it ... just hope it smooths out, seems a little rough riding on the detent ball.
throwback8

Post by throwback8 »

I think the reason that, even using nano oil on the detent ball, we are not going to get the smoothness of the Southard has to do with the blade finish. The stonewashed blade on the Southard creates a silky smooth surface for the detent ball to rub across, while the Domino has noticeable grind lines that are causing the gritty sound and feel. How is my Sage 1 with the same grind lines as the Domino smooth as silk with nano oil applied? In my opinion it is simply the difference in tension on the lock bars. The Sage 1 lock bar tension is NOTICEABLY lighter than the frame lock tension on the Domino. I believe we would get an entirely smoother action on the Domino if the frame lock tension were lightened enough to not cause such intense drag, while still providing the great detent and flipping action the Domino has.

In conclusion I must say that despite the detent ball issue(which may completely wear in over time and with multiple oilings) there is so much to love about this knife that the detent ball issue becomes more of a shrug in my eyes.
throwback8

Post by throwback8 »

DedRok wrote:Hows the thumb hole deployment?
Though the flipper provides the ideal opening system on the Domino, the thumb hole is no after thought. It thumbs open incredibly well both right and left handed.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

throwback8 wrote:I think the reason that, even using nano oil on the detent ball, we are not going to get the smoothness of the Southard has to do with the blade finish. The stonewashed blade on the Southard creates a silky smooth surface for the detent ball to rub across, while the Domino has noticeable grind lines that are causing the gritty sound and feel. How is my Sage 1 with the same grind lines as the Domino smooth as silk with nano oil applied? In my opinion it is simply the difference in tension on the lock bars. The Sage 1 lock bar tension is NOTICEABLY lighter than the frame lock tension on the Domino. I believe we would get an entirely smoother action on the Domino if the frame lock tension were lightened enough to not cause such intense drag, while still providing the great detent and flipping action the Domino has.

In conclusion I must say that despite the detent ball issue(which may completely wear in over time and with multiple oilings) there is so much to love about this knife that the detent ball issue becomes more of a shrug in my eyes.
You might have better luck wearing it in before lubricating it, initially the oil will probably just slow down the wearing in / smoothing of the action. Run some soapy water through the pivot, flip it a few hundred times then clean it again, oil it. ymmv but that's what I'd do.
I see, said the blind man.