No! My PM2!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Watcher

No! My PM2!

Post by Watcher »

So I'm over at my best friend's place helping him change the fork seals on his Yamaha. I am busy reading the book for some help and he has one of the forks in his lap.
He says "Hey man, can I use your knife for a sec?"

I say "Sure," pull out my trusty ParaMilitary2, open it, hand it to him, and go back to reading the book.

A few seconds go by and I hear, "Oops... Oh s***!"

I look over, and he shows me this:

He tried to use my PM2 to pry up the dust cover of the fork! Had I known he was going to use it like a screw-driver I would never had handed it to him!

Oh man I was pissed! He tried to explain that the screwdriver didn't have a fine enough point to get under the edge of the boot, so he wanted to try my knife.
Yeah, that's all fine and good, but with a $20 walmart knife I wouldn't have cared. With my $125 PM2 I am really upset!
Warranty? Nope, Spyderco doesn't warranty ignorance...

Lucky for him it looks like the company will re-profile the blade for $20, but I'm still upset about it... And I'll be without my PM2 for as long as shipping and service takes :(

Looks like I'll have to dig out one of my old Kershaws in the mean time...

Just wanted to vent, thanks guys!
"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

Did you already send it out?
I'd keep it as is and just use the heck out of it!
I broke the tip on my Para 2, but now I can use it without any fears :D
Watcher

Post by Watcher »

That's an idea, but as much as I want a brand new PM2 to replace it, or multiple PM2s, I simply can't afford another $100+ blade right now.

The PM2 was my first "good" knife, up until that one my best blade was a Kershaw Skyline. I actually have one in Alabama Damascus folded steel that I used to carry, sweet looker and great cutter but not fun to take care of in EDC...

At the time I was very hesitant to spend over $100 on a blade, but I believed the hype and did anyway. Couldn't have been happier with the PM2. Been wanting a second since I got it, but never ended up getting one. Would have come in handy now...
"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

This is a good reason to carry a second knife as a loaner. A SAK might have done the job for him.
Watcher

Post by Watcher »

PMBohol wrote:This is a good reason to carry a second knife as a loaner. A SAK might have done the job for him.
Yeah...

A screwdriver did the job... A screwdriver one of us had in our tool boxes...

I don't like multi-tools. In my experience a SAK or a Leatherman or whatever might do a lot of things but does none of them well.
I keep enough standard hand tools at my disposal at all times that a multi-tool never gets picked up...

But even if I had a backup knife if I had known he was going to pry up a fork seal with it I still wouldn't have lent it to him. My backup is usually a little LadyBug H1 that I found at a garage sale for $3... I haven't had a knife I didn't care about since high-school, really. My Buck and S&W knife days are over...
- Douglass Adams, RIP
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Man thats sucks, and is exactly the reason why I carry a SAK too.

At least you are not alone:
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... -and-after
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

It helps to ask people what they need the knife for before you hand it to them.

Sorry about the knife :(
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

My deal with anyone on tools is, yes you can borrow it, but if damaged, you will replace it with a NEW one and you just bought the old one. Simple as that. People who don't use tools for a living will never understand their value until they have to buy their own and use them.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Do you sharpen well? This would be a good time (if there is one) to use sharpening stones to re-shape the tip yourself. Or whatever sharpening tools you have. I hate that it happened but maybe you can learn how to do this and benefit from the incident. It's just a matter removing steel until the tip is pointy again. I know, ask your friend if he knows how to re-shape the tip and let him do it. NO NO, just kidding. No telling how short the blade will be after he gets done with it. :)

Knives will get davaged and it's great to be able to take care of them yourself for things like this. If you need any help or advice there are plenty of folks here who have done this and much worse damage that are eager to help I'm sure. A new tip is inside your blade. Just remove the metal around the tip. See??? Easy. :) Good luck with what you decide.

Jack
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I don't lend knives. If it's a fellow knife guy, then he'll have his own. If it's not, then I don't care to lend him mine. I also no longer care to bring a knife with me just to lend.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Where I come from they have this saying. "You break it, you buy it."
If he's really your friend that's what he should do.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I say you waste about 3 hours of his time explaining the history of Spyderco, what makes the PM2 so awsome, and finally why screwdrivers arn't sharp and knives can't unscrew things! Then make him buy you beers.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

I'm hoping that your friend IS going to pay for the shipping back to Spyderco plus the $20 to have the blade profiled. That's the LEAST he should do. If I did something so boneheaded I'd replace the whole knife myself.

I had a similar incident a while back. I was at one of my client's offices working on one of their servers. Their new IT trainee asked to borrow my knife to open a box. I'm thinking that it sounded harmless enough, so I made sure that he knew how to open it and knew that it was VERY sharp, and handed it to him. I went back to server work and heard him moving some big boxes around behind me. I looked back and he's using my Sage 2 to pry out one of those HUGE staples that some boxes are held closed with. It took all my willpower not to scream 'NO!!!!!!" at the top of my lungs. I walked over and handed him my Leatherman P4 Squirt and he pulled the staples right out with the pliers. Luckily I noticed what he was doing before the Spydie was damaged.

Now I carry an Enlan EL-1 in my laptop bag just for these situations. It's pretty tough, and VERY inexpensive. If it got destroyed it wouldn't really be an issue.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Should have loaned the Squirt to begin with!

Good luck getting your tip fixed, Watcher.
:bug-red-white
mrphotoman

Post by mrphotoman »

He really should have offered to buy you a new knife. You were there helping him and he broke your knife.
springnr

Post by springnr »

When ask to use your knife, tell 'em sure let me borrow your car keys. I need to knock down that tree over there.
No?
Same with my knife
Holland

Post by Holland »

brutal! id prob leave it like that as well and just use it like crazy. sounds like your buddy owes you some beer!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I don't lend knives. If it's a fellow knife guy, then he'll have his own. If it's not, then I don't care to lend him mine. I also no longer care to bring a knife with me just to lend.
Exactly this, Chuck. If someone has something they need cut, I'll be more than happy to cut it or them.

Ken
玉鋼
Watcher

Post by Watcher »

Thanks for all the replies.

Before we even knew Spyderco would reprofile it, he did say something similar to "I guess I'm out $125...".
He did offer to pay for the service and shipping to and from SC to get it fixed.

He is a very good friend, and if not a knife enthusiast typically knows what a knife is used for. I guess frustration got the better of him and made him lose some judgement.

I never thought to try to reprofile it myself. I sharpen well enough for my own needs, but I can never get my edge back to factory eye opening hair popping. I can get it to take hair off, but it always requires some pressure and takes some skin off as well.
Been meaning to send it back to SC to have them put a factory edge back on it anyway, here's a good excuse.
- Douglass Adams, RIP
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

Exact same thing has happened to me. Even though it didn't involve a knife as expensive or beloved as a PM2, it is still irritating.