dragonfly spacers?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wmcilvain

dragonfly spacers?

Post by wmcilvain »

I was wondering if anyone ever thought of putting washers in a FRN dragon fly? would it prolong the life of the frn handles or just be a nuisance
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Try it. It won't damage anything except the warranty. :) It will probably make the pivot tighter. The FRN handle is one piece and the FRN around the pivot is already "about" the same opening as the blade thickness. Any aditional material will try to spread the FRN. The pressure on the tang will increase. It should still work though. Getting the washers installed isn't the easiest thing but it's not THAT hard. This is due to the handle being one-piece. You need to get the washer then tang then washer lined up so the pin will go through all three. You kind of stick the washers and tang in there one at a time as you slide the pin through the handle. I suggest spreading the handle a little as you do this.

But, I really don't think you have anything to worry about with it as is. IF the FRN ever wears down then use washers but I don't see any need for them now. If you do try it let us know the result. Pivot stiffer? Smoother because the washers are smoother. Any changes that occur, let us know.

Jack
wmcilvain

Post by wmcilvain »

well the warranty is shot... sorry spyderco. but when you get animal hair and blood in it you wanna take it apart and clean it... i was more curious if the need would arise if the FRN wore down
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

wmcilvain wrote:well the warranty is shot... sorry spyderco. but when you get animal hair and blood in it you wanna take it apart and clean it... i was more curious if the need would arise if the FRN wore down
Just wondering what game you are cleaning with a dragonfly. Grizzle bears? :) I've cleaned many a squirrel in my youth and I guess the D'fly would be ok for that. I believe I'd want a narrower blade but I'm sure it would work.

Jack
wmcilvain

Post by wmcilvain »

funny story forgot my knife one morning and had to field dress a whitetail with it... it was all that was with me. really wasn't bad either, less chance of punching a whole in the smelly bits
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

wmcilvain wrote:well the warranty is shot... sorry spyderco. but when you get animal hair and blood in it you wanna take it apart and clean it... i was more curious if the need would arise if the FRN wore down
Polished steel isn't going to grind FRN very fast.