H1 Sharpening

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wmcilvain

H1 Sharpening

Post by wmcilvain »

I am looking for the best edge on a PE H1. I have a standard Sharpmaker (with brown and white stones)... would a rougher edge (softer steel) be better or should I stick with the white stones.
wmcilvain

Post by wmcilvain »

anyone??? help??
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I sharpen my H1 Ladybug on my Sharpmaker using both sets of stones and I get good results.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
3f8

Post by 3f8 »

I see no reason not to sharpen right to a polished edge, or at least UF stones. If you feel hardness is a problem look to edge angle. Something less acute. The boutique steels can support crazy angles. They my not be good H1. I use 30' 40' micro bevel. It works.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

In my opinion it depends on how you plan to use the knife. With your setup, I would back bevel at 30' and then maintain a "big" micro bevel at 40' for a general EDC blade that I would carry and use often.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

H1 like any grit edge you give it. It's takes a Very high polish with a hair wittling edge down to and 220 grit edge.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

What are you cutting, and how are you cutting it - straight push, or more of a slice/draw cut.
wmcilvain

Post by wmcilvain »

i almost never push cut anything i am just wondering if i leave a rougher edge will it hold longer? are there any carbides that effect performance in H1
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

If you are slicing abrasive material then yes, generally a lower grit finish will have longer edge retention. H1 has only a very small amount of carbon and part of it would be in the steel itself, I would not expect a large carbide volume and it certainly doesn't behave like it in sharpening or how it wears.
Tabo

Post by Tabo »

Depending on use, I usually sharpen my dragonfly salt once every two weeks using the 40' and ultra fine rods. Doesn't take much time and found it works best for me.