Testing H1 rust resistance

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Testing H1 rust resistance

Post by Evil D »

So I drove 1000 miles just to verify the rust resistance of H1.

OK not really but me and the family took a vacation to Florida and I've had two H1 knives on me the entire time in and out of the ocean and the only issue I've had is a gritty pivot from the sand and salt.

In other non Spyderco news I also have my stainless Nite-Ize S-biner with me and it has held up well also.

My skin on the other hand has been destroyed by the sun. I underestimated the sun's power on a cloudy overcast rainy day and got burned all to **** and back lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Glad to hear that the H1s held up to the salt/sand/sun.. Sorry the same cant be said about your skin.. I know you had a great time anyhow!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Donut

Post by Donut »

I live near the ocean and take a H1 knife with me every time I go swimming. H1 is pretty Rust resistant!

Glad to hear you had fun on vacation. Yeah, anytime you go outside and STAY outside... you'll get burnt. I won't wear sun screen if I'm going inside/outside often, but outside/outside is dangerous.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Been there 30c here out for 7 hours blisters , swollen face eyes closed up.
And had no steel testing to show for it :D , something I've seen that I question .
People have said on reviews the screws , bushings etc do rust us this true ?.
And ok you might not soak the whole knife but is this true .
Are there knives that are all H1 metal the whole shebang ?.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Bladekeeper wrote:Been there 30c here out for 7 hours blisters , swollen face eyes closed up.
And had no steel testing to show for it :D , something I've seen that I question .
IIRC, all salt series knives are completely stainless. All parts that are metallic are either H1 or titanium.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:So I drove 1000 miles just to verify the rust resistance of H1.

OK not really but me and the family took a vacation to Florida and I've had two H1 knives on me the entire time in and out of the ocean and the only issue I've had is a gritty pivot from the sand and salt.

In other non Spyderco news I also have my stainless Nite-Ize S-biner with me and it has held up well also.

My skin on the other hand has been destroyed by the sun. I underestimated the sun's power on a cloudy overcast rainy day and got burned all to **** and back lol.
sorry to hear about your skin David, but it's good to know it was a worthy cause. I always trade between the Dragonfly Salt or the Tasman Salt in my beach EDC.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Clip

Post by Clip »

xceptnl wrote:IIRC, all salt series knives are completely stainless. All parts that are metallic are either H1 or titanium.
Not 100% sure but I was thinking the lock bar might be 420 SS.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bladekeeper wrote:Been there 30c here out for 7 hours blisters , swollen face eyes closed up.

As far as I can tell NOTHING is showing signs of rust, not even the clip which has some scratches and wear on it. I had both knives (Dfly Salt and Tasman Salt) in my waste band the entire time and I spent a good 5 hours in the ocean yesterday before realizing how burned I had gotten. We're here for another week and I bought a new waterproof Nikon to take pics with so after a couple days if this sunburn eases up I'll see what I can do with taking some pics.

This is my first time seeing the ocean aside from on a bus crossing the Golden Gate bridge so it's pretty surreal. You read about it and see it in movies and pics but until you stand on a beach and look out into that endless blue horizon, you can't really imagine the size of it. It honestly a little emotional for me. I feel like the people here really take it for granted. I grew up in the country fields of southern Ohio and aside from some lakes and rivers there's just nothing that compares to this. I asked my gal what do we have at home that we take for granted that compares to this magnitude and we couldn't think of anything except for some nice forest lands for hiking. I was also kinda shocked at how much open/empty countryside there is in Florida, I had imagined most of the state would be populated with neighborhoods but it seems that the vast majority of the population lives along the coastline. We're in Vero Beach which I don't think is a major tourist town because the beaches are essentially empty, which we're happy about.
~David
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

Thanks for taking one for the team, David. Sorry that you were burned so badly. It's good to hear that the Spydie H1 models lived up to their expectations. If a summer trip to the beach in Florida won't rust them I imagine nothing in the natural world would. I spent several years in Daytona so I know how brutal that environment is on anything made of steel.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Clip wrote:Not 100% sure but I was thinking the lock bar might be 420 SS.
I don't think it is. People have done month long salinity tests that would mess up even low carbon SS.

Sal has said they only use H1, titanium, or "other materials" that are completely rustproof but not suitable for blades.

Edit: "Salinity" not "salivation". Haha.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well I spoke too soon on the Nite-Ize s-biner...it has developed some spotty rust in several places. This is a good comparison though between a "stainless steel" and H1. Both metals were in and out of the water the same amount of time and were exposed to the same conditions.
~David
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Evil D wrote:As far as I can tell NOTHING is showing signs of rust, not even the clip which has some scratches and wear on it. I had both knives (Dfly Salt and Tasman Salt) in my waste band the entire time and I spent a good 5 hours in the ocean yesterday before realizing how burned I had gotten. We're here for another week and I bought a new waterproof Nikon to take pics with so after a couple days if this sunburn eases up I'll see what I can do with taking some pics.

This is my first time seeing the ocean aside from on a bus crossing the Golden Gate bridge so it's pretty surreal. You read about it and see it in movies and pics but until you stand on a beach and look out into that endless blue horizon, you can't really imagine the size of it. It honestly a little emotional for me. I feel like the people here really take it for granted. I grew up in the country fields of southern Ohio and aside from some lakes and rivers there's just nothing that compares to this. I asked my gal what do we have at home that we take for granted that compares to this magnitude and we couldn't think of anything except for some nice forest lands for hiking. I was also kinda shocked at how much open/empty countryside there is in Florida, I had imagined most of the state would be populated with neighborhoods but it seems that the vast majority of the population lives along the coastline. We're in Vero Beach which I don't think is a major tourist town because the beaches are essentially empty, which we're happy about.
That's good btw as you have stated about the first time you've been in the sea and been close .
That is great to hear and I understand the size of the USA in context .
I've been lucky enough to travel , used to where I lived in Kent uk .
Collect fossilised shark teeth , hundreds and thousands of them when the tide goes out .
The sea is the English Channel , they were estimated to be 600 million years old iirc .
And megaldon teeth have been found too but not by me unfortunately , still sharp after all that time .
As I was saying the sea actually increases the risk of sunburn if your In it as the light reflects of the water intensifying the strength .
Funny as the worst burns I had was on an overcast day in Jakarta , couldn't see the sun but really badly burnt .
The same with snow I went skiing in Austria -15 and got a sun tan because of the reflecting light from the white snow :O .
I want to try a H1 as a user as well as collect but wasn't happy if the screws etc rusted as that would be defying the point IMO .
Cheers for the info and your right people take for granted that which they have , and a cliche but until its go e you don't realise .
I could and did leave $500 bike unlocked and went away for 3 days in Kent here I've had my bin full of rubbish stolen 4x I kid you not.
They melt the rubber down and sell it on ?? Crazy but I'm way OT .
Cheers D .
minorng

Post by minorng »

Ive taken my salt 1 with me every fishing.since ive gotten it. I'm actually on the way to the ocean now haha
Ryukyu_Beat

Post by Ryukyu_Beat »

Evil D wrote: This is my first time seeing the ocean aside from on a bus crossing the Golden Gate bridge so it's pretty surreal. You read about it and see it in movies and pics but until you stand on a beach and look out into that endless blue horizon, you can't really imagine the size of it... I feel like the people here really take it for granted.
Thanks for sharing, Evil D
The ocean is a wondrous thing. Sometimes I forget it these days... used to surf a lot. Had lame reasons for taking a break some years ago and still haven't made it back out yet.

Staring out at that vanishing point bordering the blue/green that rumbles forth and recedes back... there's nothing like it.
And when you find yourself out there floating and navigating the currents and waves, the worries of daily life stay fenced off at the shore.

Maybe I'll take some pics of an H1 out there soon. Got this waterproof camera I've been waiting to try...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

We were walking the beach today and came across a huge patch of growing aloe plants. My Tazman was the perfect tool for slicing off the leaves and opening them up to get the gooey aloe out for our sunburns.

Crappy cell phone pic but it'll due till I get home.
~David
me2

Post by me2 »

I've had some rust spots on my Salt 1 folders, but only on the "1" in the H1 etching on the blade. In the right light, there seems to be some brown coloring at the bottom of the Spyder and H1 stamps on the tang, but it could easily be my eyes playing tricks on me. I carried them both in the neighbors salt water pool for a couple of hours after having my VG-10 Delica rust in one afternoon, but only on the edge, and after sharpening a couple of carbon steel knives on the same stone before the VG-10.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The corrosion that frequently appears on the "1" as I understand is carbon traces from previous steels that are cut or from the etching tool itself. Forgot the exact answer but its not rusting H1 nonetheless.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The knife I'm usually was bought used and the previous owner apparently tried to polish the blade so the H is almost completely gone but some of the 1 is still there. Either way I haven't seen any rust on my 1 yet.
~David
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Evil D wrote:We were walking the beach today and came across a huge patch of growing aloe plants. My Tazman was the perfect tool for slicing off the leaves and opening them up to get the gooey aloe out for our sunburns.

Crappy cell phone pic but it'll due till I get home.
Yeah my recent burn about two weeks ago the only relief was Aloe Gel but the part of the uk I'm in doesn't have the climate for growing it.
Really good stuff , in fact its better than any after sun product , but then if you had the foresight to buy after sun you'd probably have covered up ;) .
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well truth be told I like the store bought aloe with litocain better because it's easier to apply and also has menthol in it which is a pain reliever and helps to cool the burn even more. A word of advice though, shower before going to bed and rinse all of it off or you'll stick to the sheets and want to die when you get up (ask me how I know).

This is by far the worst sunburn I've ever had except for one time I got one shoulder burned bad enough that it blistered but it wasn't as painful as my entire back being burned. Still having a good time, just planning my beach time early in the mornings and late in the evenings to avoid the sun and I got some white t shirts to wear for additional protection. I'm just happy my kids didn't get burned.
~David