Testing H1 rust resistance

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
me2

Post by me2 »

My most miserable burn was somehow on the tops of my feet. Not severe, but no way around touching/irritating it.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Blerv wrote:The corrosion that frequently appears on the "1" as I understand is carbon traces from previous steels that are cut or from the etching tool itself. Forgot the exact answer but its not rusting H1 nonetheless.
Yeah, what I read that was in the early batches... they would go from one steel to the next without cleaning the machines. So you'd have some of the other steels on the outside of the H1 blade that would rust.

Maybe 6 or 8 months ago, there were some professional divers on here that mentioned that with prolonged use the spring fails on the salt series knives. I think they say that they dive regularly with the knife and after 2 years they have to get another one. I've been paying attention and I haven't seen anyone say what material they use for the spring. I don't know if H1 or Titanium would be an option for the spring.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Some of the best testing I remember:

Salt Fog Chamber:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... osion-test

Wish MacTech left the images up. They were awesome!

and the Chlorine test:
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... t=chlorine
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
dialex

Post by dialex »

Glad to hear you had a great time and the knives performed as intended. However, next time send ME with the knives at the seaside and avoid sunburns ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well tonight my Tasman was set free to the great Atlantic ocean. It somehow came unclipped from my shorts and is long gone. Hopefully someday some lucky soul will have it wash up on shore to them and they will be blessed with a good knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tim_McD

Post by Tim_McD »

Evil D wrote:Well tonight my Tasman was set free to the great Atlantic ocean. It somehow came unclipped from my shorts and is long gone. Hopefully someday some lucky soul will have it wash up on shore to them and they will be blessed with a good knife.
That is tragic!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:Well tonight my Tasman was set free to the great Atlantic ocean. It somehow came unclipped from my shorts and is long gone. Hopefully someday some lucky soul will have it wash up on shore to them and they will be blessed with a good knife.
David, I am sorry to hear about your loss. I can relate, the wife still talks about the Timascus ring that she purchased me for our anniversary that is somewhere in the Atlantic right now. I felt it come off my finger in 3 feet of water and the under-toe had it in less than a second and a half. I still feel sick thinking a few hundred dollars are floating around out there now.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Knife lovers everywhere cringe when they hear this.
I feel your loss.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It certainly does suck but in a way I find some comfort knowing that if someone does find it they should have a perfectly usable knife that hasn't rusted. Then maybe they'll be amazed that it isn't rusty and it could start them along into this hobby we all enjoy. I just hope it stays shut and nobody steps on it!
~David
endgame

Post by endgame »

I'm in Jersey on the Atlantic evil d maybe it will wash up by me when I go bassin
araneae

Post by araneae »

Sad news indeed.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

endgame wrote:I'm in Jersey on the Atlantic evil d maybe it will wash up by me when I go bassin
Anything is possible I guess. Some guys just found $15k worth in old gold coins right up the beach from us.
~David
mattman

Post by mattman »

Sorry to hear this, David!

Don't let it bother the rest of your vacation.

Matt
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Your great offering to Neptune will surely be rewarded with good karma. Maybe he'll like your knife so much, you'll go home with a cool custom trident!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
HtR

Post by HtR »

Oh man. That's a bummer about the lost Tasman.

Thanks for doing the review, David.

I just ordered a Pacific Salt.
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

I noticed rust on my Pacific Salt the other day. First time it has shown any rust in the last couple of years.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Did you sharpen it recently?

I'm wondering if that is cross-contamination from your sharpening equipment??
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

mattman wrote:Did you sharpen it recently?

I'm wondering if that is cross-contamination from your sharpening equipment??
I usually wipe the edge clean after sharpening and I haven't sharpened it in awhile. I originally thought the same thing must of caused it. I've cleaned off the rust and if there were any metal particles on the edge they're gone now. I'm interested to see if it happens again.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah that's strange. I spent several days in and out of the ocean and didn't see a speck of rust on either of the 3 H1 knives we had with us. I don't know if I mentioned it before but we also had my H1 Ladybug and my GF's H1 Dragonfly on us too.
~David