PM2, Emerson Wave, & Sprint steel.....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
loki_pittman

PM2, Emerson Wave, & Sprint steel.....

Post by loki_pittman »

.... three things I love that I'd like to see in one package! What say you Spyderco fans?

-C.P.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

No, thanks.
Holland

Post by Holland »

ya, not a fan of the wave and the meaning behind it. Tool > Weapon
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Holland

Post by Holland »

Welcome to the forums though, enjoy your stay :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
loki_pittman

Post by loki_pittman »

@ chuck_roxas45 - do you care to expand?
@ Holand - I understand your sentiment, but "PARAMILITARY" 2? Yes it is a cutting tool, but a last ditch tool for self defense would warrant something like a wave feature IMHO (and everyone has an opinion).

Thanks for the replies and happy hunting.
stalag2

Post by stalag2 »

How a waved pm2 could stop being a tool...?

Maybe YOU should stop being a tool ;)
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

Holland wrote:ya, not a fan of the wave and the meaning behind it. Tool > Weapon
a big +1 to this. I want opening a pocket knife to be an intentional, deliberate act. This is the same reason I hate autos, gravity knives, and assisted opening knives.

I don't even really like it when a blade has weak retention - one of the things that turns me off about the para2.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

loki_pittman wrote:@ chuck_roxas45 - do you care to expand?
@ Holand - I understand your sentiment, but "PARAMILITARY" 2? Yes it is a cutting tool, but a last ditch tool for self defense would warrant something like a wave feature IMHO (and everyone has an opinion).

Thanks for the replies and happy hunting.
Okay, I like the para 2 as it is. About the only thing I don't like is the stepped pivot. As alluded to in another thread, some people want changes in a knife that change the entire character of a knife. If the changes are done, it would make the new knife a entirely different one.
stalag2 wrote:How a waved pm2 could stop being a tool...?

Maybe YOU should stop being a tool ;)
Because it's now considered as more of a weapon than a tool.

Maybe YOU should play nice...
Blackhawk30

Post by Blackhawk30 »

The wave makes it a weapon?I thought the wave was a bottle opener? 8-)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blackhawk30 wrote:The wave makes it a weapon?I thought the wave was a bottle opener? 8-)
So why do you need to open a folder that fast when you have the thumbhole? Why do you think they waved the p'kal, the karahawk, and the waved endura?Why are knives that are styled as close quarter combat knives waved?

Oh, one more thing...why do mall ninjas like waved knives?
stalag2

Post by stalag2 »

The same thing could have been said back in 1981 about the pocket clips and holes...Why would you need 1 hand opening and easy access to your ''tool'' -oh wait!- because its a weapon.

Thats some bullcrap argument i expected from NKP, not fellow spyderlovers.

Secondly, no one asked to modify the pm2 design, just give us the option to get a wave just like on the delica/endura. If you dont like it, dont buy it.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

loki_pittman wrote:.... three things I love that I'd like to see in one package! What say you Spyderco fans?

-C.P.
stalag2 wrote:The same thing could have been said back in 1981 about the pocket clips and holes...Why would you need 1 hand opening and easy access to your ''tool'' -oh wait!- because its a weapon.

Secondly, no one asked to modify the pm2 design, just give us the option to get a wave just like on the delica/endura. If you dont like it, dont buy it.
First of all the OP asked for our opinions. Check my quoted post above yours.

Second of all, one hand opening and pocket clips are convenient features for a tool. Obviously you've never been on a ladder, holding on with one hand and needing to cut something with only one free hand.

Third of all, do you expect all spyderlovers to be mall ninjas?

Fourth of all, if I carry a knife as a weapon, it's not gonna be an anemic weapon like a para 2.

Fifth of all, I guess it is impossible for you to play nice. :D
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

Got some good points there.

I don't like the wave because it looks a little silly to me, but yeah lets all go back to our Buck 110's riding in the button down holster on our belts. To use said blade you must be VERY intentional, and it's a tad bit slower than flicking my spydie out.

I guess for legal reasons everyones nervous about there tools being misconstrued as weapons.

Thats why I have 5 tire irons and 3 wooden baseball bats in my car - I love changing tires and playing baseball!!

stalag2 wrote:The same thing could have been said back in 1981 about the pocket clips and holes...Why would you need 1 hand opening and easy access to your ''tool'' -oh wait!- because its a weapon.

CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

Erm, no. One hand opening and easy access increase the utility as a tool. The wave feature decreases utility because it snags all the **** time. It makes your tool less useful as a tool, for the sake of appealing to mall ninjas who want to feel like badasses.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
stalag2

Post by stalag2 »

Alright so wave equals mall ninja...? This is some serious thickhead argument, im outta there and with all due respect, GTFO.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

FWIW, I recall reading that it's no longer called an Emerson 'Wave', but is now called an Emerson 'Opener'.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

stalag2 wrote:Alright so wave equals mall ninja...? This is some serious thickhead argument, im outta there and with all due respect, GTFO.
Well...unless you're the real thing(operator)...then you're just a wanna be. ;)

I just like to be honest with myself.

I am unashamedly a mall ninja but I am honest about it. :D

I just wanted to see where you'd go with your arguments. BTW, you could have tried to make your point and been nice about it.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

For me it would be like adding legs to a snake, not really necessary. The only thing i don't like about the emerson style is that it looks like it is always an afterthought, no matter how it's done. Just my personal opinion, but I don't own one on any of my knives. I'm with Chuck about a weapon, fixed blade for me, or at least a 40 cal.
Clip

Post by Clip »

I think the wave/Emerson opener looks ugly as sin and doesn't match the rest of Spyderco's design philosophy. Also, after owning a CQC-7 I found the wave feature to be entirely unnecessary, as heater hose/cardboard/paper/tags/vegetables/envelopes/branches/etc can't run away that fast and don't mind me taking my time to open my knife in a controlled fashion.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

noseoil wrote:For me it would be like adding legs to a snake, not really necessary. The only thing i don't like about the emerson style is that it looks like it is always an afterthought, no matter how it's done. Just my personal opinion, but I don't own one on any of my knives. I'm with Chuck about a weapon, fixed blade for me, or at least a 40 cal.
Haha. :D