PM2, Emerson Wave, & Sprint steel.....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ryukyu_Beat

Post by Ryukyu_Beat »

Clip wrote:I think the wave/Emerson opener looks ugly as sin and doesn't match the rest of Spyderco's design philosophy.
I might agree here... the standard waves on Spyderco models are huge and kind of take away from the lines/aesthetics to my eyes.
I have seen a few mods that were more subtle which I could live with.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
loki_pittman

Post by loki_pittman »

Great input thus far, thank you all. My love affair with Spyderco's started with the PM2. After much research and the fondling of various models at knife shops, gun shops, gun shows. pawn shops, and any where else you can think of where a Spyderco might be, I decide that the best ergonomics for me were the PM2. I had never owned any Spyderco's to that point and since then have accumulated many..... to say the least. I always thought the Emerson design was superfluous, that being said however I ended up with a Waved Endura through a trade and have since fallen in love with the feature. In my particular daily use it proves quite handy. Taking all this into consideration I still much prefer the ergonomics of the PM2 and wish it was offered as a waved version. After starting this I saw many ppl mention "zip tied" knives, and after a bit of research and trying this for myself I am 100% convinced that I would thoroughly enjoy and appreciate a waved PM2. Once again thanks to everybody for the input...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:I work in retail where opening and breaking down boxes quickly is essential. While I don't always use my folder for this task (since a simple razor knife works quite well) it does help to be able to draw and deploy the knife quickly, and even the fastest thumb openers will have a hard time being as fast as a waved draw. Now, we're talking about just a few seconds saved here and there, which is ultimately why I don't have a waved knife, but I can't deny the added ease of use. If you don't ever have a job or situation where the draw/open/cut/close/pocket sequence needs to be as quick and easy as possible then it wont matter to you. Like I said it hasn't mattered enough to me that I feel like I need to buy a waved Delica or Endura, but then again it also just so happens that I'm not super fond of either of those models either. If the Para 2 was offered with a wave I surely would consider it.
I have tried a waved endura for repetitive tasks David. You have to set up a certain way to be able to wave it. If you're squatting or don't have a lot of space, it won't work. If you're sitting down, you have to stand up. Hard to wave too if you're in any kind of awkward position. If you have co workers around, they cringe everytime you wave your knife. I also wouldn't like to jerk an open knife from my pocket while there are people moving and bending around you, makes putting out an eye that much more possible. Much less hassle and much less of a production for me to just pull the knife out of my pocket and thumb it open. In doing a lot of repetitive tasks, a second faster is not always better than being consistent and reliable.
Ryukyu_Beat wrote:I understand everybody's sentiments, but for me, this right here illustrates how a waved blade can be utilized as a tool (first) as well... just a thought ;)
Again, you've obviously never been on a ladder with one hand holding material or holding on. You don't want any convulsive movements right then. There's also a bigger chance of dropping your knife with a wave. ;)
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I agree that I would not like to see a waved para2. It would change the knife too much; there could be a nice new knife designed with the wave. I don't like the wave but to each their own.

I agree that it makes the knife more weapon like. It also takes away from its tool riles slightly with the hook part protruding. That said, I do own exactly one wave knife, a Krein regrind Delica FFG PE. It's a nice tool but the only thing I use the wave for it opening bottles.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

chuck_roxas45 wrote: Much less hassle and much less of a production for me to just pull the knife out of my pocket and thumb it open. In doing a lot of repetitive tasks, a second faster is not always better than being consistent and reliable.
Yep, a tool needs to be reliable and controlled, not flashy and finicky, and the wave is certainly both of these things.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I have tried a waved endura for repetitive tasks David. You have to set up a certain way to be able to wave it. If you're squatting or don't have a lot of space, it won't work. If you're sitting down, you have to stand up. Hard to wave too if you're in any kind of awkward position. If you have co workers around, they cringe everytime you wave your knife. I also wouldn't like to jerk an open knife from my pocket while there are people moving and bending around you, makes putting out an eye that much more possible. Much less hassle and much less of a production for me to just pull the knife out of my pocket and thumb it open. In doing a lot of repetitive tasks, a second faster is not always better than being consistent and reliable.

Again, you've obviously never been on a ladder with one hand holding material or holding on. You don't want any convulsive movements right then. There's also a bigger chance of dropping your knife with a wave. ;)

Well, all that is true but it's not like you lose the thumb opening option just because the wave is there. I've dealt with the position difficulties you mentioned when using a zip tie, that's when I just revert back to the thumb.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mattman

Post by mattman »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:Yep, a tool needs to be reliable and controlled, not flashy and finicky, and the wave is certainly both of these things.
I've carried my waved Delica quite a bit, and I don't consider it "finicky"... after a short learning curve (not much longer than learning any new knife), I found it pretty easy to draw, either waved, or closed for normal deployment.

I have no training, or desire to ever use it as a defensive weapon, but I certainly enjoy the simple elegance of the "device", similar to how I appreciate the understated simplicity of the Sage 2...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:Well, all that is true but it's not like you lose the thumb opening option just because the wave is there. I've dealt with the position difficulties you mentioned when using a zip tie, that's when I just revert back to the thumb.
But you have to deal with catching the darn thing and having a partially open knife come out. Or if you have to keep a finger on the spine to stpp.it opening partially, it catches and makes the knife harder to.take out. Just complicates things with no benefits, IMHO.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

But hey, its a YMMV thing. I've had a bit of experience with work and a waved knife. The wave doesn't make it a better tool for me but its a "robust" opening method for a weapon, as I've heard it called. :D
infinkc

Re: PM2, Emerson Wave, & Sprint steel.....

Post by infinkc »

V-1.5 aka V-1

Re: PM2, Emerson Wave, & Sprint steel.....

Post by V-1.5 aka V-1 »

Wow, I can't believe all the "hate" and "lecturing" on the evil Emerson Wave on a Spyderco knife forum?! It's simple and effective. It also doubles as a wonderful bottle opener. Other PM2 models exist without it. Why shouldn't Spyderco make one?
Kudos Spyderco team for releasing another Emerson Wave model. Thank you!