PM2, Emerson Wave, & Sprint steel.....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

Clip wrote:I think the wave/Emerson opener looks ugly as sin and doesn't match the rest of Spyderco's design philosophy. Also, after owning a CQC-7 I found the wave feature to be entirely unnecessary, as heater hose/cardboard/paper/tags/vegetables/envelopes/branches/etc can't run away that fast and don't mind me taking my time to open my knife in a controlled fashion.
Well said!
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

After owning a Waved Delica, I would not like a PM2 with wave. For me, the wave was more of a PITA. When I took the knife out to use or even put away for the day, I would find that the blade would "deploy". For me, I much prefer a controlled opening from my hand.
And I will agree with the above that the wave does have some kind of tacticool\mall ninja to it. The times I did use the wave was to show off :)

When a question is asked your going to get people who disagree with you. People are only answering the "what do you say spyderco fans?" Can't expect everyone to agree with you.
Come Join Us Click Here
Donut

Post by Donut »

loki_pittman wrote:@ chuck_roxas45 - do you care to expand?
@ Holand - I understand your sentiment, but "PARAMILITARY" 2? Yes it is a cutting tool, but a last ditch tool for self defense would warrant something like a wave feature IMHO (and everyone has an opinion).

Thanks for the replies and happy hunting.
The other guy's lawyer would have a field day with all the terminology on that one! Why don't you make it black on black so they won't see it until it's too late, too?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't own a single waved knife but I wouldn't be opposed to a waved Para 2. I've found that the zip tie mod works better than the real deal but it gets in the way when doing deep slices and it holds moisture and dirt. I wouldn't rely on it as my primary opening method but just from using the zip tie I can say there are times when it does come in handy. Just like serrations I wouldn't mind seeing most knives offered with a wave hook.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

VG10 is tougher than most Japanese steels we have seen for sprints. It's also more corrosion resistant than most of them. The current blade shape and grind caters well to stabbing roles (EDC stabbing of course :p ).

I could see them doing a G10 sprint of it. It would probably be retailed at about $130 though.

I would (and have) zip-tied knives. I've also seen some grind their own wave. It's pretty easy to fix the problem.
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

In my opinion, an edged weapon should be your last resort in the confrontation. And if you did need to resort to using an edged weapon, wouldn't you want something with more reach than a paramilitary 2? Like a regular military or endura (already available with "wave" opener)? To me, putting a wave opener on a paramilitary 2 would be just about as useful as putting it on a dragonfly. Zip tie mods work well, and the best part about it, they're not permanent. Edged items are tools and historically weapons of great power in the correct and trained hands. Why do you think our military, special forces and LE carry them? As a tool, but also as a last ditch weapon. But I also agree that the "wave" opener is more of a fad and really does ruin the looks of an otherwise beautiful knife.
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

A lot of people automatically take this topic to the weapons debate, but for me when I'm working on something and need a knife I need it NOW. That's why I only carry one hand openers. The wave does make it more convention to use if you're in a hurry.
~David
endgame

Post by endgame »

I doubt you would ever see that but could be cool.mine opens so easy I don't think I would need it.and I don't need any help cutting myself.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Evil D wrote:A lot of people automatically take this topic to the weapons debate, but for me when I'm working on something and need a knife I need it NOW. That's why I only carry one hand openers. The wave does make it more convention to use if you're in a hurry.
Obviously the combative arguers forget about the Emerson/Spyderco Rescue. The wave, Spydie drop, or your thumb are just ways to open the tool relatively quickly; sometimes as you mentioned they just want to open a box.

Knives, guns, whatever. If people feel insecure about defense IMHO they should do something about it besides talking. Take some classes or something.
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

Personally, I think that a 'Waving' a PM2 blade would ruin it's great lines. Kinda makes me shudder just to think about it.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

stalag2 wrote:Why would you need 1 hand opening and easy access to your ''tool''
I carry and use knives as tools, and frequently my tool use occurs when I have one hand occupied with my project and I need to pull out the knife, deploy it, use it, close it and put it back one-handed. Once I discovered thumb holes/studs, pocket clips, liner locks I didn't carry anything else.

I may have to try a zip-tie wave just for grins to see how it works, but for my utility a knife with a well done thumb hole/stud deploys plenty fast enough for me.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

One more thing I don't like about a wave is that it complicates things even more on the EP.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

I own a waved spyderco for ONE reason..... Self defense. I work late nights as a bartender and is what I carry on me for this single purpose for those long walks out into the parking lot
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:So why do you need to open a folder that fast when you have the thumbhole? Why do you think they waved the p'kal, the karahawk, and the waved endura?Why are knives that are styled as close quarter combat knives waved?

Oh, one more thing...why do mall ninjas like waved knives?
I work in retail where opening and breaking down boxes quickly is essential. While I don't always use my folder for this task (since a simple razor knife works quite well) it does help to be able to draw and deploy the knife quickly, and even the fastest thumb openers will have a hard time being as fast as a waved draw. Now, we're talking about just a few seconds saved here and there, which is ultimately why I don't have a waved knife, but I can't deny the added ease of use. If you don't ever have a job or situation where the draw/open/cut/close/pocket sequence needs to be as quick and easy as possible then it wont matter to you. Like I said it hasn't mattered enough to me that I feel like I need to buy a waved Delica or Endura, but then again it also just so happens that I'm not super fond of either of those models either. If the Para 2 was offered with a wave I surely would consider it.
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I like the Waved Delica and Endura mostly because the narrow spear-point over the standard saber-grind. Some other waved models just look ugly (even more so than a zip tied knife :p ).
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

No thanks, I like to control the opening. The wave is a 98 percent kinda thing g where it's going to open most of the time, that one time I want it open is when **** hits the fan with my luck . I'll choose a kubaton over a knife due to legal reasons where I'll wind up in prison and not the aggressor. I also find that extension leads, boxes, packages can't run very fast :)

The Paramilitary can easily be modified with a sander and dremel if you want a wave, and there are sprint runs often.

I still want an Emerson commander though, but I'll likely draw it from my pocket too carefully trying not to wave it.

I find the Paramilitary platform **** near perfect, all I wish is that the pivot tolerance on mine was a little better (fixed by shortening the pivot) and the handle was a bit bigger.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Also, with SD, paramilitary doesn't have the ideal blade shape, the lower the tip owning succession with the handle, the better. Take a wharncliffe for example, tip is lower in succession to the handle, slashes deeper, the belly gives the material (flesh?) something to ride off. Look at the delica and endura, minimal belly, better slashey slashey, got given a wave for the ninjas
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Travis, in most places use of a kuboton (striking) is considered lethal force. At least to vital areas. In fact, many jurisdictions outline the kuboton/yawari/koppo stick as a "dangerous weapon" along with daggers, dirks, brass knuckles, etc. While I think a flashlight would be seem less of a "weapon" unless superficial strikes or control methods are used it still can easily be seen as lethal force in the courts eyes.

I fully believe a knife is a suitable tool to defend your life. It's all the other variables that calculated for survival or defeat. If given the choice a large club or gun would almost always be ideal; those tools are heavy, bulky, and single-purpose though. Most (not all) would be more prone to not EDC them for that reason.

The absolutely best thing you can carry is self-awareness and training. Waved knives are quick, fixed blades are quicker, but in less of a second you can drive an elbow into someone's sternum an take off running. If the cops arrest both of you I would rather explain I tried to shove the perp than how I had to use my ___ for self-preservation. Decrease the odds (three people) and those tools become more appealing and far easier to justify.

Anyways, waved knives :) . I like some of them but as many have echoed only if it doesn't make the silhouette of the tool ghastly. The Emerson Opener Matriarch2, while scary and effective looks horrendous (IMHO).
Ryukyu_Beat

Post by Ryukyu_Beat »

chuck_roxas45 wrote: Second of all, one hand opening and pocket clips are convenient features for a tool. Obviously you've never been on a ladder, holding on with one hand and needing to cut something with only one free hand.
I understand everybody's sentiments, but for me, this right here illustrates how a waved blade can be utilized as a tool (first) as well... just a thought ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ryukyu_Beat

Post by Ryukyu_Beat »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:Erm, no. One hand opening and easy access increase the utility as a tool. The wave feature decreases utility because it snags all the **** time. It makes your tool less useful as a tool, for the sake of appealing to mall ninjas who want to feel like badasses.
I am not trying to be the defender to waves here, but just feel the need to voice a few opinions based on usage.
I think claiming that the wave decreases utility is a bit of a stretch... adjust to wrapping some fingers over the folder's spine and deploy more vertically from pocket and unintentional snags/deployments should cease. It's too easy to call something mall ninja maybe? :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]