Best Spyderco knife for a new Spyderco fan?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Daveknife

Best Spyderco knife for a new Spyderco fan?

Post by Daveknife »

Hey everybody! Dave here and this is my first post here. I've never owned a Spyderco pocket knife but in my research for my next knife, I've come to love the look of the Spyderco knives, and that is going to be my next purchase.

I was wondering if somebody could give me a recommendation of what one would be a great first Spyderco? it will be an EDC, maybe used for camping.

Should I get a plain edge, Spyderedge, or combo edge? I'm leaning towards the combo edge but I'm not exactly sure what would be best for me.

I need to keep it under $80.

Thanks in advance for any help, looking forward to joining in the forum and plan on learning a lot!
Barely a day has gone by since I was 6 years old that there wasn't a pocket knife in my pocket. My blog is at My Best Pocket Knife if anybody is interested.
Thanks everyone for all the great info!
endgame

Post by endgame »

Manix 2 combo edge g-10 or lightwieght. or dragonfly g10
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Find a Delica on teh bay. I prefer Spyderedge or combo edge for EDC.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Daveknife, do you have blade length restrictions in your part of PA?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Daveknife

Post by Daveknife »

xceptnl wrote:Daveknife, do you have blade length restrictions in your part of PA?
Well, overall in PA I don't think there is one, I did a quick search and there doesn't seem to be ...
Barely a day has gone by since I was 6 years old that there wasn't a pocket knife in my pocket. My blog is at My Best Pocket Knife if anybody is interested.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

OK, I would probably suggest the Manix 2 Lightweight if you have a sharpening tool. Otherwise I would say get a doublestuff stone (around $25-$30) and a Delica or Endura ($55 - $65). The pair will be slightly more than your budget, but should serve you well. Plus the doublestuff will be super handy for campsite touchups.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

Delica, Stretch, or Endura!
Small, Medium, Large!
a.manbug

Post by a.manbug »

I personally like the Dragonfly II. A new one just came out in orange. it's small, easy to carry around and cuts like it doesn't know it's small. It's like that little guy that acts tough but can actually kick butt. With Spyderco though I think you'll be satisfied with whichever one you choose :) Enjoy your EDC knife hunting!!!

Forgot to mention: I have the PE and my Father has the SE... both are great!
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

The Caly 3.5 is the only one I can recommend for EDC. It's going to be a little over budget but I guarantee you will never regret it. Stay with a plain edge because you might actually want to peel an apple or something. I just read an article in Blade Magazine not too long ago where they proved a plain edge out performed serrated edges in every possible scenario. To me serrated edges and tanto points make a knife totally useless for most practical purposes and add a lot more unecessary edges to attempt to sharpen.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I've still in love with the pacific salt.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

It's hard to go wrong with a Delica or Endura.
:bug-red-white
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

RanCoWeAla wrote:The Caly 3.5 is the only one I can recommend for EDC. It's going to be a little over budget but I guarantee you will never regret it. Stay with a plain edge because you might actually want to peel an apple or something. I just read an article in Blade Magazine not too long ago where they proved a plain edge out performed serrated edges in every possible scenario. To me serrated edges and tanto points make a knife totally useless for most practical purposes and add a lot more unecessary edges to attempt to sharpen.

You can read all the magazines you want. I use my SE 100% of the time for EDC. I haven't used a PE in the last 4 months and plan on using SE for hunting season this year.

As far as sharpening, SE is just has easy or hard as PE. If you have the skill to do one than you have the skill to do the other.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Stretch 2 in VG-10 you can probably find for $80. One of the best knives anyone's ever made, the ZDP version has been my EDC for the past two years.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

xceptnl wrote:OK, I would probably suggest the Manix 2 Lightweight
+1
I recently bought this knife as a gift to a friend and very impressed with F&F, lock and ergos. But I would stick with PE. Much easier to maintain, more universal and if you need sometimes SE, just keep the edge toothy.
And of cause start saving money for sharpmaker.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Holland

Post by Holland »

Manix or stretch!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Daveknife

Post by Daveknife »

Holy Knives Batman! Thanks everyone ... I definitely have a lot to look into as I want to make a very informed decision, and there's plenty there for me to dig into deeper. I really appreciate all of the suggestions.
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

Delica!
In chronological order:
Paramilitary 2, BD30P Manix 2, Delica 4, M390 Mule, XHP Military, Dragonfly 2, Woodcraft Mule, ZDP-189 Manbug, Cruwear Mule, Superleaf, Forum Native 5, Manix 2 XL, Endura 4
bmoe

Post by bmoe »

.357 mag wrote:I've still in love with the pacific salt.
I'm with ya man. I love mine, such a nice quality knife. Its my opinion that the Pacific Salts are what Enduras should look exactly like. My vote for a first time owner though would have to go to the Delica.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

As fun as the Delicas and Enduras are to play with, for your money the only medium-sized knives to really consider are the Caly 3.5 or a Stretch, both are tight, ergonomic dreams that melt into your hand plus they are wicked slicers. If a little big knife can do the job you need, then a Dragonfly is the only way to go (G10 version is great, and the FRN versions are also awesome with their different steels to suit your particular needs). The absolute best choice for a keychain Spydie would be a G10 Manbug, which I feel that pound for pound is probably the best Spyderco available (I'm saying F&F-wise by actual weight here), plus those stainless steel bolsters, OMG! Now if Sal could just make a G10 Dragonfly with stainless steel bolsters like the Manbug and the CF Caly 3 Damascus, maybe with a Damascus blade... I'll stop now, drooling too much!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I'd go with a nice Delica for a first Spyderco. And I'd personally recommend a full flat ground plain edge due to ease of sharpening, and don't forget to pick up a Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpener for sharpening it...very easy to use and I've seen them go for as low as $40 on ebay. Easily my favourite sharpener I've ever used.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden