spyder-drop opening....a novelty?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
suedeface

spyder-drop opening....a novelty?

Post by suedeface »

In my experience, I can't think of a slower, more complicated, and inefficient way of opening your spyderco. Not to mention it puts more wear on the mating surfaces of the lock. I have tried this opening on some SS handled models and it works better, but with lightweight models (my salt 1 for ex.) it's a no-go.
I prefer my D4 or salt 1 to be tip up, and I usually just reach down and unclip the knife from my RF pocket, put my thumb in the hole and in one motion thumb the knife open in a semi-fast, but controlled manner. Ready to go. If I use the spyder-drop method, I have to be tip-down, reach in, make sure my thumb and index finger are securely holding the blade hole, snap the knife open in a downward motion (and hope I flicked it hard enough to open fully), then reposition my hand on the handle to get a proper grip for cutting. That's just not efficient enough for me. There have been certain instances though where I have had to grab my knife quick and happened to grab it by the blade, at this point i did use the spyder-drop. Even though it wasn't as efficient, it was nice to be able to have an alternative opening method.

Does anyone actually use the spyder-drop method primarily for opening opposed to the standard way? If so, can you explain to me any advantages to this method? I just fail to see any...
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

People, especially those with only one functioning hand, used to use this method to open an old slip joint with one hand (the ones with the little thumbnail sliver for opening).

I wouldn't do it, unless I had an old slip joint and one hand was disabled for whatever reason.
APS

Post by APS »

I think back when they were all stainless and tip down, there was controlled thumb opening and the spydie-drop. Like today when controlled thumb just isn't fast or flashy enough, the spydie-drop scratched that itch back then. Also some may find that the linked thumb-finger through the hole is actually more positive than the move you have to make to thumb open a tip down knife.
Adam
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

For most situations it's a novelty. With some models it's impossible and with some it's unreliable, at best. However, if you ever saw Sal use it to produce a fully opened Military from his pocket in one smooth motion, you'd see that, for some models in some hands, it works extremely well.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

MOST "fast deployment" crap is a novelty. If you want fast deployment, strap a fixed blade to your thigh.

Spydie dropping is flashy showing off, and not much more. You might as well be practicing how to flip a bali. At least that takes some skill.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I agree that in all cases accurate > fast deployment, even if that means using two hands. The Spydie-drop is not a novelty; some like Mr. Janich are incredibly quick. Really any way you can safely open a knife with a modicum of speed is a valid way. The key is to practice or at least be decent at that particular methodology.

Novelty is in the eye of the beholder. For some (like me) things like jimping and drilled liners are simply a cost increase with little to no benefit. To others they are like religion. :)
GronK

Post by GronK »

I find the spydie drop to be comfortable and not threatening when done right. If I want speed I carry my E4 Wave.
Think Twice, Post Once!
GronK
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I use it quite often. With practice, it is an easy and reliable way to open a knife with one hand, and if done correctly is no more damaging to the lock than thumbing the blade open. I find it far less awkward than dragging a tip up knife out of my pocket, manipulating it to where I can get my thumb in the hole without having my fingers holding it shut, then thumbing the blade open, then resetting my grip to use the knife. But then, I learned the method with a Buck 110 before the C01 Worker was introduced.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Well, if it doesn't work for you, just don't do it. I've always found the drop awkward and unreliable. So I just don't do it. Thumbing it open works just fine for me.
:bug-red-white
stalag2

Post by stalag2 »

For me it really depends on the model, for instance i rarely open stainless handled tip down spydies otherwise than with the drop, to me its the second fastest opening after the wave feature. It doesnt work that good with some models though, i never been able to drop my chinook 1 unless i do some rather unnatural and fierce moves which makes it a totally no-go while at the same time i can open a Ss delica or police with the slightest amount of momentum and control the force to avoid damaging the lockfaces.

Edit: I could even add that compared to a wave i never failed the motion, while even not being stressed i sometime fail to wave it smoothly probably due to the shape disparities of my pants pockets.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I do it sometimes if I want to impress the ladies.

TedP
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

Not a fan of the spyder-drop, but I do flick all my knives open one way or the other, depending on the knife. I don't care about deployment speed but I love the feel and thawak of the blade flying open and lock engaging. :cool:
I've got to admit that I do play with them all the time flicking open and closed all the different ways. It's fun. :D
Once you get use to a certain method of deployment it can be just as fast as any other.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

only with my military, and only rarely at that. basically if I pull it out of my pocket in an awkward way, grabbing the blade instead of the handle, then it makes sense to.

otherwise it's slow with the thumb for me. sometimes even use two hands to open D:

I hate to say I recently turned into a "flicker" with the Millie. started flicking it open quickly with the thumb instead of the normal opening. I'm not proud of it, and I started carrying my frn back lock models to stop this behavior, lol.
stalag2

Post by stalag2 »

I have to admit that considering tip down spydies i'm a great fan of the index finger flick specially considering the pm2, m2, yo2.
What i'm liking in Spyderco is one of their mofo, all good, just different...This cannot be more true
Holland

Post by Holland »

phillipsted wrote:I do it sometimes if I want to impress the ladies.

TedP
lol!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

I have to 'Think' about the spyder drop when I occasionally do it. Thumb flicking my spydies on the other hand is so ingrained now that I don't even notice that I do it usually.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Only ever felt the need on knives that only have tip down carry option, which for me have been the original Para and the Military. Both of those, especially the Military had enough weight in the handle that it made opening this way very reliable IMO. With the Military, like Paul mentioned about Sal drawing and opening in one fluid motion, you just just about grab the thumb hole and draw hard enough that the handle drops by inertia right into your hand as you're coming up. With practice you can even use the handle as a sort of wave effect making it catch your pocket on the way out to further initiate the opening.

Personally I don't get all the recent debate and criticism of these various opening methods. Wave/zip tie/drop/flick/inertia, who cares? If it's not for you then don't do it. I happen to like how many options there are to open my knives. To me it doesn't matter if it's a gimmick or flashy, sometimes it's just plain old fun to play around with. That can't be all bad can it?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

For me opening those 3" blades with a spyder-drop just feels natural, I don´t have to change hand position as I mostly grab the thumb hole anyway and wrap the other three fingers around the handle when I hear the click.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'll do it sometimes subconsciously, but not when NKP's are around. Depends how the knife is in my hand. Tip up with heavier knives works best.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

I carry a Delica in my back pocket and the SpyderDrop is my preferred method for opening that knife. Everything else is tip-up for a natural draw and thumb--or faster--opening.

One tip:If you pinch the blade with the tips of your thumb and index finger as you grip over the hole, you'll find that you can use the edge of the handle as a "ramp" to start the opening of the blade. It will open about 20 degrees before you add any wrist snap, expediting the opening and giving you a more secure grip on the blade.

In my opinion, quick, positive knife deployment is a worthwhile skill and one that has served me well. If you don't agree, that's fine, but there's no need to criticize those who value it.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts