Question to Sal about the Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
eidah

Question to Sal about the Military

Post by eidah »

Hello Sal and everyone in the forum

The Military is one of the most significant knives of the century ( in my opinion) along with the sebenza and a few others. I love it the way it is.

However, I wonder if we are going to see one with pillar construction and a few of the common changes that are usually suggested to the military?

If so, is it going to be soon?

Thanks
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I like the military just fine as it is. The military 2 is one the back burner. That one might be more to your liking.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I like the military just fine as it is. The military 2 is one the back burner. That one might be more to your liking.
I've quit holding my breath.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

enduraguy wrote:I've quit holding my breath.
Haha, unfortunately that one is probably at least a year away. I'm sure there are other knives that will fit your requirements in the meantime. I'm sorry that the current iteration of the military is not to your liking but from the popularity of the model, it seems that a lot of people are fine with it. :)
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I'd like to see the regular Military with bigger screws and a larger lanyard hole.

Just a little continuous improvement.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

shunsui wrote:I'd like to see the regular Military with bigger screws and a larger lanyard hole.

Just a little continuous improvement.
Well, yes. I'd take that too. :D
Senate

Post by Senate »

the Military 2 has been in the works for some years with a new locking system, the stop lock.
no much more details than this.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

I've seen videos where people tweak the blade centering using tension and the screws in the backspacer, leading me to believe that the solid backspacer is important to the design. Am I misunderstanding this?
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I like the military just fine as it is.
+1

Even for a lefty as myself, I love the CF M390 Military "as is" :)
Wanted: Superhawk - Found!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Yup, other than a improvement to the blade:handle ratio I think the Millie is fine as is too. I know the handle is large for a reason...but I can wear thick mittens and still use it...so maybe its a touch too big. lol.
On the hunt for...
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

The main thing the Military needs is for the pocket clip to be mounted for tip up carry.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Yup, other than a improvement to the blade:handle ratio I think the Millie is fine as is too. I know the handle is large for a reason...but I can wear thick mittens and still use it...so maybe its a touch too big. lol.
:confused: Huh? It has a ratio of one blade to one handle. What's wrong with that? ;)

Personally, I like having a handle big enough for my hand, which is probably why I don't care for Ed Schempp's work.
RanCoWeAla wrote:The main thing the Military needs is for the pocket clip to be mounted for tip up carry.
I disagree. I find a combination of tip-up carry and zero closing bias to be a recipe for blood loss.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Why do people call out the management/owners by name like this? If they haven't yet responded to "usually suggested" changes, then it's very likely they won't respond to this thread either. If you want to start a thread with proposed suggestions (like the other dozen threads on this same subject) that's one thing, but calling someone out in this manner just seems a bit distasteful to me.
endgame

Post by endgame »

I like it the way it is.you can just drill new holes if you want to move the clip.I did it with my pm1 worked great.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Maybe a dishonorably discharged military. Without one of those the Military seems completely honorable to me.

What is "pillar construction"? Do you mean better? What are the usual suggestions people give to the military? Maybe a bayonet that attaches to the blade tip?

Just kidding. :)

Jack
eidah

Post by eidah »

salimoneus wrote:Why do people call out the management/owners by name like this? If they haven't yet responded to "usually suggested" changes, then it's very likely they won't respond to this thread either. If you want to start a thread with proposed suggestions (like the other dozen threads on this same subject) that's one thing, but calling someone out in this manner just seems a bit distasteful to me.
I posted a question directly to Sal because this a family kind of forum where Sal responds many times as I have seen to questions like this. Why do you feel like your the forum police or the person who dictates etiquette to others?
WMR

Post by WMR »

Jack, I did a search for your "D'Arbonne" and found nothing. What is that thing? If it has been discussed here, can you post a link?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

eidah wrote:I posted a question directly to Sal because this a family kind of forum where Sal responds many times as I have seen to questions like this. Why do you feel like your the forum police or the person who dictates etiquette to others?
I do think Salimoneus has a good point.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I may be missing something but I don't see anything disrespectful about the way the original poster posed his question. For those that do, can you be specific about why you feel that way?

I guess I would need to understand what is meant by the term "calling out".

Sal and other designers post regularly to this forum, and their responses are one of the many things that makes this place so great.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

mikerestivo wrote:I may be missing something but I don't see anything disrespectful about the way the original poster posed his question. For those that do, can you be specific about why you feel that way?

I guess I would need to understand what is meant by the term "calling out".

Sal and other designers post regularly to this forum, and their responses are one of the many things that makes this place so great.
I would say that the only reason Sal was singled out in this case is because these questions have already been asked many many times, and have gone unanswered. I just don't feel trying to goad him into a response by calling someone out by name is the best way to go about it. They are unanswered for a reason, because either they have no new information or they just do not wish to divulge anything at this time. They will when they are ready.

Also, I never said anything about being disrespectful, it's not the same thing as distasteful, give them a quick lookup.