The Scoop on Hslpern titanum?????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cheygriz

The Scoop on Hslpern titanum?????

Post by Cheygriz »

Anyone know what's going on??? Sorry for the typo HALPERNI called 5-6 days ago and a fellow told me they were still in business, and had many different scales available for the Spyderco Mules. He said they were working with Sal to make them available in a perfect fit.

Then he told me he couldn't take an order, but the lady that could would call me back when she returned from lunch.

I left my name and #, but my call was not returned. Two days later, I called and got a recording. I left my name and number again, but that call was never returned either.

Anyone bought anything from them lately??
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Tried to call, got thru, they said the person in charge of orders was not in today and for me to call back at another time.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Cheygriz

Post by Cheygriz »

xceptnl wrote:Tried to call, got thru, they said the person in charge of orders was not in today and for me to call back at another time.
well, at least i'm not the only one getting the run around!
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

When I placed my last order it took a couple of days to get a response from the order desk.
I don't think that mule scales are really their core business, although they were happy enough to take my order when they had time.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I didn't even get to specify.... I just asked if I could "place an order". Seems like they have very few employees.
*Landon*
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

Since Mrs. Halpern was the first person I made contact with I do think that they are a small operation.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

The mule scales are a small side-show for them and I think it is a small office staff. But I have been happy with their service and mule scales in the past.
thurin

Post by thurin »

They're great to work with so hopefully you're able to place your order and as others have said it's a side business for them.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

thurin wrote:They're great to work with so hopefully you're able to place your order and as others have said it's a side business for them.
I have ordered from them 3 times before, but this is the first since the website has been down. I understand a small company, but it is odd to get that response while already on the phone with a company. I could have been ordering one set of scales or 200 lbs. of titanium. Either way it just doesn't make sense.
*Landon*
Mutt

Post by Mutt »

Do they have other materials besides g10? I was thinking of going Loveless style here green linen micarta with red liners
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Mutt wrote:Do they have other materials besides g10? I was thinking of going Loveless style here green linen micarta with red liners
They made at least one run with some CF, which I would have loved to have, but I don't think they made any more in CF after that.

They strike me as maybe a small company that is struggling to be able to pay enough employees to keep things going -- no functioning web site for around a year? How else do you get people interested in buying from you in this day and age? I like their scales, I hope they are able to keep on making them, don't know anything about the rest of their product.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
araneae

Post by araneae »

The website has been down for over a month. In this day and age, that is almost inexcusable in business.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Cheygriz

Post by Cheygriz »

Tried again today. Went to a recording. Again! :(

I love their products. The prices are fair. :)

I'd love to give them my business, and recommend them to friends. But first, they've got to be willing to sell the product. :confused: :confused:
xceptnl

***Attention**** Mule Handle Information

Post by xceptnl »

I just got through to Maryanne on the phone. I placed my order and explained to her how much we miss the website. She explained that they are focusing on the manufacturing side more now, BUT they are still selling the slabs and have TONS in stock. I offered to post a sticky thread with colors and options that we can use as a reference for emailing orders to Halpern Titanium and streamlining this process for everyone. She was very kind and wanted to all know they love our business and don't want to look like they are not servicing their customers. I will post the thread when she sends me back the information and maybe Taz can make it a sticky for us.
*Landon*
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

Edited to:

Sorry, started seperate post
FarmerTed

Post by FarmerTed »

xceptnl wrote:I offered to post a sticky thread with colors and options that we can use as a reference for emailing orders to Halpern Titanium and streamlining this process for everyone. ... I will post the thread when she sends me back the information and maybe Taz can make it a sticky for us.
This would be exceptional.
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

xceptnl wrote:I just got through to Maryanne on the phone. I placed my order and explained to her how much we miss the website. She explained that they are focusing on the manufacturing side more now, BUT they are still selling the slabs and have TONS in stock. I offered to post a sticky thread with colors and options that we can use as a reference for emailing orders to Halpern Titanium and streamlining this process for everyone. She was very kind and wanted to all know they love our business and don't want to look like they are not servicing their customers. I will post the thread when she sends me back the information and maybe Taz can make it a sticky for us.
Thank you! I think this is a great idea. I hope Kristi will help us out with a sticky thread!
Sharktooth

Post by Sharktooth »

xceptnl wrote:I just got through to Maryanne on the phone. I placed my order and explained to her how much we miss the website. She explained that they are focusing on the manufacturing side more now, BUT they are still selling the slabs and have TONS in stock. I offered to post a sticky thread with colors and options that we can use as a reference for emailing orders to Halpern Titanium and streamlining this process for everyone. She was very kind and wanted to all know they love our business and don't want to look like they are not servicing their customers. I will post the thread when she sends me back the information and maybe Taz can make it a sticky for us.
I too am very interested in acquiring a set of these! Looking forward to more info
:spyder:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

FarmerTed wrote:This would be exceptional.
I thought it was :D
billy blade wrote:Thank you! I think this is a great idea. I hope Kristi will help us out with a sticky thread!
Sharktooth wrote:I too am very interested in acquiring a set of these! Looking forward to more info
I will post the new thread as soon as I get the info. It's late today so it may not come until Monday.
*Landon*
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

Les and his wife have been very good for the industry, supporting many businesses. They are a job shop and I don't believe them to be a huge business, employee wise. When you have highly skilled people working at capacity and one person gets ill, has family problems, etc it can really throw a monkey wrench into the works. Spyderco has a fairly long and good relationship with Halperns and Sal likes to deal with the best companies. I think it has been a little warm in Jersey lately.. I spent the last 2 hours tearing a bearing out of a combine; you know 90 degrees F, chaff blowing around. Sometime things are not pleasant or cooperative.

I know Halperns to be a reputable business, give them a chance....Take Care...Ed