Backup Weapon - Endura Wave vs Matriarch 2 Wave

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
endgame

Post by endgame »

If you can carry a gun u can carry auto so get a citadel o r embassy.the szabo or civilian best backup imop.
Studey

Post by Studey »

Goomba wrote:Hey gang,

I am looking for a defensive blade to carry on my weak side as a backup to my EDC firearm.
I decided I wanted to try the Emerson Wave that Spyderco offers.
Which one of these should I go for? Note: I already carry a daily utility blade, this would be a purely self-defense oriented blade.

Or should I just get a fixed blade like a TDI?

Thanks for the input everyone!
For support hand use, which you probably don't practice as much, I would go Matriarch. I would practice drawing, waving, and one big vertical slash, usually applied to your assailant's tricep. Under what context would you draw the support side knife instead of your firearm or usual knife? Right hand tied up (either retaining pistol or disabled) is the number one. In that situation, the Matriarch would work well to allow you to regain control of your primary side and weapon. However, either would work well. Your skills and actions will be far more important than either of these fine, capable knives.
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

The Matriarch looks nasty and might be enough to make the other think twice. That said there are some M Janich videos on you tube that go over basics of using a reverse S blade. my 1/2 cent.
Paul
:spyder: Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule,Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP :), M390 Mule, #Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P :D, Delica Super blue
It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle
Bob2swpa

Post by Bob2swpa »

Matriarch 2 Wave would be similar to a Civilian which was originally designed for lower skilled users in defensive situations.
Spyderfly, Endura4 w Wave, C10PS Endura, Manix2, Centofante 3, Ocelot, Blue Domino, Yojimbo, Earthtone Paramilitary2,Vallotton sub hilt so far : :spyder:
endgame

Post by endgame »

I broke the tip off my matriarch yesterday trying to stick it in the wood railing on my porch for a pic.my civilian had no problem.just take that into the list of pros and cons.
mrphotoman

Post by mrphotoman »

I suspect the OP is a teenager that watches too many action movies lol or is unable to protect himself/herself with his/her hands.

If you live somewhere that you need to carry a gun and 2 knives to protect yourself then it is time to move.

I own many knives and guns but I do not carry any of them for self defense because it is not needed.
mrphotoman

Post by mrphotoman »

How old is your matriarch 2? Did I read somewhere that the newer ones have a thicker blade?
Clip

Post by Clip »

mrphotoman wrote:I suspect the OP is a teenager that watches too many action movies lol or is unable to protect himself/herself with his/her hands.

If you live somewhere that you need to carry a gun and 2 knives to protect yourself then it is time to move.

I own many knives and guns but I do not carry any of them for self defense because it is not needed.
Eh, some people are less comfortable with today's society than others. I don't mind if he carries 14 rifles with him as long as he's competent and mentally stable, it's him having to put up with the weight.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

mrphotoman wrote:I suspect the OP is a teenager that watches too many action movies
It's generally fairly difficult to get a CCW permit as a teenager - just sayin ;) Like you, I also find the OP's self defense "needs" to be a bit extreme, perhaps even a touch mall ninja, but there's no need to accuse him of being a know-nothing teenager.

Now if you wanna argue how much he knows as an adult, I'm all for that :D
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
endgame

Post by endgame »

mrphotoman wrote:How old is your matriarch 2? Did I read somewhere that the newer ones have a thicker blade?
Brand new
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

While the concept of carrying a "weapon" is furthest from my vocabulary (I prefer defensive aid, tool, EDC, or something that doesn't infuriate the courts), it's a valid and popular question.

Let's judge the question and not the person. When your speaking of life and death it doesn't matter of the person asking is 15 or 51. :)
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:It's generally fairly difficult to get a CCW permit as a teenager - just sayin ;) Like you, I also find the OP's self defense "needs" to be a bit extreme, perhaps even a touch mall ninja, but there's no need to accuse him of being a know-nothing teenager.

Now if you wanna argue how much he knows as an adult, I'm all for that :D
He never mentioned having a permit...
Donut

Post by Donut »

I suggest you hire a ninja as a body guard and not go for all of this crazy stuff. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

I think it's amusing that often when people ask about knives as weapons people react in interesting manners (accusing OP's as being mall ninja's, etc.).

Is it correct to infer that the very fact that Spyderco makes trainer versions of their popular models perhaps that they are very aware that individuals are going to be using their "tools" as defensive or possibly offensive weapons.

I know many will just be armchair "operators" operating tactically from their lazy boy cutting miles of cardboard while watching Walking Dead. But for some this is serious business.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

TDI fixed blade, small size, gets my nod.
armstrong1720

Post by armstrong1720 »

I own a trucking company and i meet my drivers late at night at truck stops. Some safe some not. I usually have my .45 in my dodge. I dont even bother to carry i just carry a serrated endura. One of the truckstops i go to i have never had problems but if i do i will be up against 2 or more so i keep my eyes open. . What i dont like about the matriarch is you cant stab like you can the endura
Donut

Post by Donut »

armstrong1720 wrote:What i dont like about the matriarch is you cant stab like you can the endura
Why exactly would you be stabbing for self defense?

I would be worried about stabbing used as malicious intent if you end up in court.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
armstrong1720

Post by armstrong1720 »

Where i have to go there is basically NO LAW. And yes i would stab at the very end so they dont get back up and come after me. This is TEXAS !
armstrong1720

Post by armstrong1720 »

Heck where im at you will get SUED for everything if you slice them or they go find the law and say you pulled a knife on them and you get to be the one CUFFED.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Matriarch 2 is what I would carry.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”